Also in my above posts, I referenced building a foundry to pour my own parts. I can build one for half the price, as the parts that I need to cast cost. I've been thinking about this for for a while.
I was on a construction job and the owner was nice enough to give me a present. He collects world war 2 stuff/civil war and such, he gave me an hermetically sealed, aircraft aluminum military box (pictured below). You can get these at any army surplus store.
After I had the box sitting around a few months I thought, BINGO.
That's my foundry.
Here's pictures of this project. It's almost done !
This is the box. I couldn't get it open for 20 minutes. I didn't know what the guy gave me as he said it was good for storage. Because it's sealed, the pressure must have been much lower the day that it was sealed the last time. When I pried it open, for my first time, a huge vacuum sound emitted from the box as the seal was broken. Explains why I couldn't get it open>
I cut a hole with a grinder, in the divider section between the two compartments of the box. You can see the top of the box to the left.
I used one of the old lady's boiling pots (12"x 10.5" tall - heavy stainless steel) I had to build this thing cheap, after all .
Some layout of the blast furnace head. The tube is PVC for the core layout. I have 3" for insulating refractory material.
This is the blast head. It's 1-1/2" black outer (air) with a 3/4" inner core (gas). The tip is Stainless 316s, from a construction site a few years ago. They are legs/pegs from some stainless industrial kitchen furniture. I ground the radius, of the core PVC, onto the tip.
I used a powervent from an old 50 gal water heater. This will be my blower for the head.
Some layout and fitting. The pipe you see is the support for the top of the kettle swing arm.
Lining up the kettle to the divider pan. I figure the blower will do 3 things.
Provide air to the head, clear the compartment of any fumes or gas, cool the unit/box. I will cut an air damper in the top of the unit soon, to control airflow.
I have finally come to the point in my foundry build, that I need to install the lightweight insulating refractory material.
Some pictures below:
Can I post video's here on Fiberglassics.com ?
I also updated the thread above, regarding that transom rebuild that I did on the yellow 72' Silverline. I installed an 92' 70 HP powertilt merc that I bought on craigslist for $250.00. It was attached to a wreck/rott/junk Mariner boat. I cleaned it up and it performs like new.
Foundry progress: I have everything built and working. Tested the blower and the electrical. I just need to install the fire chamber insulation.
Now for the Boat !
How about that shine ? If you seen it in person, you could swear you could reach in. My guy is Good !
I said to my guy, who could we get to build the interior ?
He say's easy botton's again, "buy me an industrial sewing machine and we'll make one together". I buy the sewing machine, thread and some fabric; and we go too town.
First the "reach-in"
I decided against the original design to the seats in 59'. I just think it's too busy and they don't look comfortable. I spoke with my friend and he agreed. I went for a more sporty look that fit more with the boat. I kept the same shape. I have the rear lower portion of the seat fitted.
Here's the sewing machine I bought. We are doing this in his living room and dining room. This guy has had show cars in mags. He's very talented.
Some layout and pattern making:
Some new marine grade plywood for the seat cores:
Lower section of rear seat pattern and template:
Seat fitting and foam padding install:
Finished seat bottom, working on the top of it. Will post progress after fitment stage:
Here's some partial pictures of the painted 59'. I'll be moving her to a new home to finish. When I pull it out into the open next weekend, out of the garage, I'll get some photos to post here. She looks SWEET!
Thanks. It's actually from a 61' Tempest that came out in late 60'. It matched the original color almost perfect. The new color has a little more metallic flake in it, to make it PoP.
Next thing over the winter will be the windshield. I had one of those catalog unifit replacements.