Well I am having trouble uploading pictures. Don't know why. But here's the flickr link to all the pix. The top is where I'm at now, but the entire process up until yesterday is there.
Hey, nice job so far. Still loving the cowl rehab!
Gotta post up the decals info, the fellas @FG could probably use them too.
I got all of the decals from
and if they didn't have what I wanted, they asked me to participate in the creation. So the Crestliner hull logo decals and the V50 decals on the back of the motor were made just for me, with all my drawings picture and measurements. And now they sell them on their site. Toni was a joy to work with. Thanks for the compliments ..... two times.
What is the best 1/2" core material to replace what was in my boat? The original core was balsa, but not even end grain. Just 1" x 1/2" strips about 12" or so. I have heard of some core material that has reinforcement like fiberglass or even kevlar. But let's not get carried away. Remember economy and not over investing are the rules. While consideration for strength and ease of use carry weight. What do I use for bedding, and since it is poly, can I (should I) use epoxy? All in all the boat is small so material will not be compounded by sheer scale. Also, there are two little keel ridges on the hull bottom in the aft portion. These were filled with balsa strips but were not ffilled or sealed. Can I just use CSM and epoxy to fill these? Thanks in advance....
Last Saturday I made all the final cuts to get all the wood out of the "problem" areas. Up in the bow, the spoonbill hull portion of the keel had some heavy glassed in areas that needed additional attention. Along with the edges of the entire perimeter cut offs, the wood is ALL GONE!!!! From the floor that is.
Well I named the boat so now I can move forward. Someone told me that the name should be written on the transom before it gets painted. So the name is "Bluebeard". Now on to glassing rest of the inside. It was 101 degrees in the boathouse yesterday. I need an a/c unit in here!
Here's a new video of the "kicker" engine. I'll be using this when I go exploring into the shallow waters south of Marco Island. I just got the impeller and the other stuff in the mail. Should have a new video of it running this weekend! I've been told that it needs to be out on open water to really adjust the low speed jet. Oh well, it will be still fun to see how well it runs now. I had it running before, but gas was running out, and it was really weak. I found out that the one plug wire was completely cracked in half. So it has new plus wires and boots, rebuilt carb, new impeller, points, condensers. I hope it runs good now, we'll see............