• Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Larson All-American restoration

1959 Larson All-American restoration 10 years 5 months ago #85724

• twmd
  • twmd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I found this sadly decaying 1959 Larson All-American 16-footer in someone's yard in Gainesville, Florida in 1999. I passed it for 2 years, and finally knocked on the guy's door and asked if he wanted to sell -- and he did. Boat with original motor and trailer for $250.

The gelcoat was badly faded and crackled, there was a large hole in the floor, the central stringer was rotted, the windshield was crazed and the upholstery was pretty well gone. The boat had a tag stating it was made in Nashville, Georgia, one of Larson's subsidiary factories. I got the title, and set about planning a restoration, knowing almost nothing about it.

The first step was separating the deck from the hull and removing the hardware. I had to saw them apart with a jigsaw. Then a few years passed, I moved, and eventually got help from a retired boatmaker friend. Endless hours of sanding and re-gelcoating, and she began to look promising.

Along the way I traded the original Johnson 35 hp motor for a 1959 Mecury Mark 55AE in fair shape, which I am now rebuilding. I found a Quicksilver control box to replace the damaged Johnson original, and refinished it.

The photos show how the project is doing to date. Finally getting close to finishing, with new upholstery to be installed in the next couple of weeks. Final photos will follow when the boat is completed.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Docwatson

Re:1959 Larson All-American restoration 10 years 5 months ago #85726

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Twmd, glad to have you join us. WE appreciate you sharing the story and pics on your Larson restoration, judging by your avatar pic I'd say she's looking pretty great!

The Cutter Tornado I owned briefly also had a plate on the inside of the transom bearing the Brunswick Mfg. - Nashville, GA tag on it. The library here has some great info on the relationship between the two companies, although I don't think there's any mention of the Brunswick plant. (We know it existed though, right!) :)

Mark

Re:1959 Larson All-American restoration 10 years 5 months ago #85875

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
oh man this boat brings back memories. first boat I ever was just like this one. was my ole man's and it sat in our yard for a very long time, we used to play in it as kids.

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:1959 Larson All-American restoration 10 years 3 weeks ago #91471

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
got any recent pics of this boat???

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7171 guests and no members online