• Page:

TOPIC: 1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project

1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 10 years 8 months ago #82013

• Herb
  • Herb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Everyone, I'm new to FiberGlassics and new to boat restoration. Always enjoyed spending time on the lake growing up, and found that water sports helped to keep me in shape. (Well, better shape than had I not be doing water sports.) I am an HVAC mechanic (home heating and air), which means i know how to hold a wrench or a hammer, a little about ignition systems, and know how to do clean wiring jobs. The rest is yet to be determined.

So I am working on bringing this Aluminum runabout back to life with my own vision in mind. It needs hull repair (will have to learn about replacing rivets etc), and the motor isn't firing up yet, and all new interior and repaint everything. Lots to do!

Here it is before I began, Old wooden seats upholstered, completely rotten and host to a colony of carpenter ants. This boat spent 5 years on the ground under a tarp. Mouse nests on the bow and all.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 10 years 8 months ago #82014

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
In Ontario, Canada and now mid August I am running out of warm weather and want to see just how bad the hull is for repairs to be completed through the winter. My mission was to get this boat off of the ground, mount the motor and see about getting it running. I picked up the boat and a 1965 or 1968 Evinrude 33HP ski twin both from the same place for a package deal of $160. No trailer included. I think that old Evinrude will look quite swell. Since the hull seems to have a vintage design I would like to keep this antique outboard to help complete the look. I have been toying with the idea of painting the hull to match the (eventually) restored engine.

1. Pressure washed the dickens out of it. Then put the boat up on a few saw horses i built for a quick $20 worth of 2x4's

2. mounted the motor, removed and cleaned the carb (found some sort of nest in it behind the screen). re-installed the carb. that was enough for the time being.

3. removed the old rotten seats and sweep out, vacuum out as much as possible.
Attachments:

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 10 years 8 months ago #82015

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
here is an earlier shot from behind
Attachments:

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 10 years 8 months ago #82040

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Herb, glad to see you sharing your progress with us here. Looks like you have a really nice base for your project there, I can see the potential to turn that one into a nice one. I'll let the gang with more experience with lummies give you advise on how to proceed, just wanted to say hello and welcome.

One thing I might suggest if you're not getting a trailer right away. I would think about adding some "bunks" to support (cradle) the hull better if it's going to sit there long. I don't think aluminum will hook or bow as bad as fiberglass, but if it were mine I'd feel better about it if she were supported a little better? Maybe unfounded concern, Just a thought......;)

Mark

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 10 years 7 months ago #82815

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the tip Mark, I did add a little extra support to the front of the hull on your advice. And recently made progress with the outboard motor. I have managed to learn all about 2 stoke engine magnetos and revive the ignition spark! :) Also, I began to prepare the hull for repairs and paint. It's been slow going lateley but I feel a new burst of inspiration coming on!

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 10 years 7 months ago #82927

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Put some gas through the engine today after installing a new oiler wick and getting it all put back together. It took a while but we managed to get ol' Rudy running for the first time in maybe a decade! it appears that the engine is cooling properly, I do still need to play with the mixture and a long way to go with the hull etc. but happy to report some nice steady progress on this project!

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 10 years 7 months ago #82940

• MarkS
I saw the pics in your other thread Herb, she's looking great! Getting close now, looking forward to some "on the water" shots. ;)

Mark

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 10 years 7 months ago #83411

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
update...

Had the boat in the water for a running engine test.

Ran well for a few minutes, so i opened up the throttle once it warmed up. Ran well wide open for a couple minutes then lost a lot of RPM's on full throttle. doesnt seem to be running hot. so i messed with the mixture a bunch, Also tried squeezing the fuel bulb a little. Inconsistant results. sometimes squeezing the bulb would help, other times it wouldnt. So Ive taken the time to do a proper carburator rebuild with a new float & float valve, new packing on the needle valves, new gaskets, and of course a really good cleaning of all carb components. Then opened up the fuel pump and found a bit of crud in there. Put it all back together, replaced the fuel line that ran from the pump to the carb (it split when re-installing). and we'll get it back out on the lake for another test run and see if it can keep RPM's up on full throttle. If not I'll have to take apart the lower unit and check the impellor & exhaust for any blockage. who knows what this old thing has been through.

Will post some pics of the boat in the water, just keep in mind it hasnt seen any paint yet. I have removed all cleats, horn, lights and windshield but havnt prepared the hull for new paint.

Also, and I guess goes without saying the boat is now sitting on a trailer i picked up used. It just happened to be a tilt bed trailer. that'll need pait too.

Herb,

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 10 years 4 days ago #92539

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
After a very long and cold winter here in Ontario, the project resumes. Over the winter I rebuilt and repaired the original horn, but that's about it. Now that the snow has melted the boat is out of storage and back on the front burner.

Spent the weekend and about 4Litres of paint stripper getting all of the old paint off the boat. Solved the big mystery behind who's name goes these boats by Aluminum Goods Ltd. It is a Springbok. Work is at a hurried pace these days. Doing what I can outside of my 50hr work week to get this boat finished and on the water.
Attachments:

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 10 years 4 days ago #92540

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
the hidden Logo
Attachments:

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 10 years 4 days ago #92572

Great progress so far keep it up.

Bob

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 9 years 9 months ago #97629

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Finally Primer finished on the hull and bow,

I'm having some concerns about paint, Anybody know of a paint that is actually recommended for aluminum hulls? The Marine Outfitters here in town stock Interlux paints but the paint can specifically says not to use on aluminum. the shop owner felt that because I've primed the boat that I should not be concerned but he said that he hasnt done it before. the paint was made for fiberglass and wooden hulls. I'll see if i can get the info and post it here.

I've used the Interlux primer (Xzylene, although im probably spelling it incorrectly.

heres the photo of my progress, it was just a quick snap shot. before priming I used some body filler (marine grade) and did a lot of sanding, cleaning etc.
Attachments:

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 9 years 9 months ago #97643

You can always call up Interlux and get their recommendation. Most folks use a Zinc Chromate primer for aluminum outboard motors.

This is the only image I have, but may be of interest- the 1962 Springbok Boats brochure cover:
Attachments:

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 9 years 9 months ago #97751

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Interlux. Trilux II is what. Need.

Thanks for posting the picture Andy, I've decided to go with the red&white paint job like the one in the, brochure cover.

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 9 years 8 months ago #98129

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
almost finished. One more coat of red.
Attachments:

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 9 years 8 months ago #98506

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
paint complete
Attachments:

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 9 years 8 months ago #98507

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
still a few things missing, but time to bring her home from the "paint booth" at the cottage.

Still plenty of work to be done.
Attachments:

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 9 years 8 months ago #98512

Looking good! What's w/ the ply panels & 2X caps covering the seat backs?

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 9 years 8 months ago #98513

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Seats will be upholstered, the ply & 2x caps are the same construction as the original(?) seats.

Here's a pic of one of the old seats.

Think this is original? I'm not sure what else might have been, but I'd like to stay as true to original as I can.
Attachments:

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 9 years 8 months ago #98526

I'm not an expert on vintage boats and for sure not on Aluminum Goods boats, but I doubt the original front seat would have spanned the gap between the 2 seat backs.

I'm pretty sure the gap between the seat backs is intended as a step thru.

At some point, I'd guess the front seat either need to be replaced or to carry 1 more person up front (3 instead of 2) a previous owner re-fab'd the front to cover the gap.

If they remade the front, I'd guess they probably remade the back seat too..

Given that the top of the 2X edge on the plywood seat backs (front and back) don't fit down on/even w/ the tin seat back top panels, I don't think the shape is accurate to original even if the gap was spanned.

The 2X top edge may have been the upholstery solution to a 'finished' look or allowed you to rest on the top edge of the seat back.

I've seen pix of a few different makers that used the top of the seat back as a seat and did actually fully upholster them.

I know you've struggled to find pix & info about the boat, but in the end, you will probably just have to make a somewhat educated guess. Then fine tune that guess so that YOU like the way it looks when you're done.

So far, it all looks like really great, careful attention to detail work, so I'd bet the seat shape and upholstery will turn out the same: Great ;)

Personally, to better see over the bow and people in the water close to the boat, I'll 'perch' on the helm seat back until safely able to throttle up. An upholstered seat back top will be more comfortable then one that's not, but I'm usually only perched for a short time while at idle/no wake speeds or starting the motor.

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 9 years 8 months ago #98539

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
The Step Through for the front definitely makes sense. I think I'll cut out another front seat. I had been tossing the idea around in my head for a while as i have seen it on other boats. This boat is much smaller on the water than it looks in the driveway. The step through front seat would make getting behind the wheel much easier as well

Thanks for the input.

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 9 years 8 months ago #98862

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Wired "cabin" lights and running lights. I found some really cool LED lights at the local auto supply (princess auto) mounted them under the seat backs and up above the dash where i could fit them discretely, also wired in a simple switch board i bought from the local marine supply store. still need to tackle the seats and add a second battery. Windshield needs polishing so haven't put it back on.

Going to see what happens on the lake tomorrow. engine runs but need to get the mixtures just right.

still much to do but here's an up to date picture.
Attachments:

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 9 years 8 months ago #98873

• MarkS
Looking good Herb, I like the interior lights buddy! The LED's won't draw much "juice", nice touch.

Mark

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 9 years 8 months ago #98896

Great work the lights look awesome.

Bob

Re:1960 "Aluminum Goods ltd" Runabout project 9 years 7 months ago #99791

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
update:

got out on the lake, one spark plug had fouled so it was a really short ride on one cylinder.

Also checked the new gear oil after that and found lower unit was leaking, oil getting out around prop shaft and water getting in. Disassembled the lower unit ordered new seals & bushings some 3M #847 sealant. should be on track soon.

Close call with the gear case as a retaining ring in the drive assembly had broken. (who know when probably before i took possession :P ) better to wait for a new one than risk grinding it up and blowing the case I'm guessing.

Camping trip coming up in a week and a half, It'll be down to the wire to see if parts arrive before then.

Hope your all enjoying the fleeting summer days.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6711 guests and 2 members online