Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1968 Starcraft Mustang 14

1968 Starcraft Mustang 14 10 years 9 months ago #79061

Hey All,

I recently inherited an older fiberglass boat. Placard reads that it's a '68 (judging from the serial number) Starcraft Mustang. I've looked all over the internet trying to find any kind of documentation on this specific model but have had 0 luck.

I've begun cleaning it out and pulling it apart to start restoration. This is my first ever restoration and as such, I've been taking it slow and looking at various restoration projects throughout the forum so I can have some ideas as to what to do and how to do them.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated, currently we have an electrical engineer, IT guy, and myself (from USN servicemember) working on the boat in hopes of getting her up and running sometime next summer.

I'll post some pictures shortly.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1968 Starcraft Mustang 14 10 years 9 months ago #79063

Here she is after two Saturdays of roughly 7 hours of working. Whoever owned it prior to the father-in-law (whom I received it from), apparently tried to do some shoddy work to it.

Got the motor removed so to pull off the top portion of the hull as you can see in the picture below. Also cleaned it off with a sponge and some light soap to really take a look at the condition. Also got the plexiglass removed as it was cracked and beaten. The rub rail is gone after having to drill through what seemed like a million screws with bolts on the back side that were absolutely unreachable.

I'm thinking this upcoming Saturday will be removing the flooring as it is cracked and attempting to remove the stringers and transom. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me hear them as I stated before, this is my first restoration job.

Attachments:

Re:1968 Starcraft Mustang 14 10 years 9 months ago #79065

hey and welcome aboard
I feel your pain i have a 67' Starcraft sea sport in as many pieces right now. It took two days for me to drill out all those screws and some just spun so i pulled them through the fiberglass instead, probably not the best way but im working solo on mine so no one to hold vise grips on the other side. ive also cut out the deck to expose the stringers . next stop is the transom i figure i might as well seems how i have it apart now and im shure it needs done. There is a wealth of information on this site for the new guys with the patience to learn.

they will look beautiful again in time.

Semper Fi

Re:1968 Starcraft Mustang 14 10 years 9 months ago #79067

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The first stages of restoration, the clean out. Keep going and welcome. What is the Merc? Post a couple of shots of it also.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1968 Starcraft Mustang 14 10 years 9 months ago #79077

Hi Neil, I definitely plan on keeping at it! I've got a definite bug but that blasted working a day job gets in the way :angry:.

As for the Merc motor, I know it's a 50HP Merc 500. I'm not sure about anything beyond that as I haven't concentrated much on the motor as of this point. I figured the motor would be a good winter project but when I get around to the boat this weekend, I'll post pictures and as much info as I can, maybe you guys can point me as to where to get started with it.

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I'm hoping I can do this boat proud :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6785 guests and no members online