Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1961 CarrCraft Maverick

1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 10 months ago #78377

So here she is. I've had this boat for a while now but haven't had the time to work on her. So i think its time. Not sure what she is worth but i think its a really cool boat and from what i read and was told its 1 of 2 mavericks, and 1 of 3 CarrCrafts that I'm aware of. I'm in the process now of getting the title. The local DMV is sending out a letter to the last known owner and hopefully they will release the boat to me. we will see. Keep your fingers crossed.

In the time the boat has sat at my dads shop some ***hole broke the windshield. Just found out about that today and I am pissed.

Anyways another question i had was about a motor. Maybe not the right section but i got a lead on a 1961 Evinrude 40 Big Twin. Does anyone know if parts are available for this engine and if so are they outrageously priced?

Sorry I dont know how to post pic on this forum

imageshack.us/scaled/large/29/20130604150501.jpg
imageshack.us/scaled/large/42/20130604150535.jpg
imageshack.us/scaled/large/838/20130604150539.jpg
imageshack.us/scaled/large/402/20130604150542.jpg
imageshack.us/scaled/large/843/20130604150547.jpg
imageshack.us/scaled/large/90/20130604150619.jpg
imageshack.us/scaled/large/17/20130604150625.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 10 months ago #78380

Robert,
Excellent, with fins too!!!!!!!!!!!!! That will be a great project. As far as the motor goes yes you can get parts for it. MarineEngine.com has a lot of the Evinrude/Johnson parts. Got quite a few for my '59 Fta Fifty Golden Jubilee. Napa also carries some parts. I'm sure other guys can add other places to get parts.

Bob

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 10 months ago #78389

Thanks for the response. Do any of you guys know what would be a good price for this motor. It does not run and the starter doesnt work but it is all complete minus the controls.

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 10 months ago #78401

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Nice project Robert, very cool profile on that one!

Non-running, no starter= hard to get a compression check, no controls, I wouldn't go over $100. You're buying "a pig in a poke", no idea if it's even worth trying to bring her back to life. There are plenty of other prospects out there, just have to be patient and keep your eyes open. Just my two cents worth.....

Mark

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 8 months ago #80989

Hi Robert. Enjoy your project, you'll learn a whole lot about fiberglass boats. The lines of that boat closely resemble the late 1950's Red Fish Sharks.

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 8 months ago #81089

So here is some good news. After waiting and waiting the DMV called me today. The registered owner of the boat from back in 1999 signed the papers saying he doesnt want the boat and gave power of atternoy to the DMV to give me the title. Awesome. Should have the title sometime next week. Ill keep you guys informed.

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 8 months ago #81096

Excellent, good for you and on a Monday no less!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 8 months ago #81290

26 dollars later the boat is officially mine. Hopefully ill have her in the water soon. On the search for a motor. Going to go pick her up today and drag her home. Ill post up some pics later.

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 8 months ago #81327

Great looking forward to it.

Bob

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 8 months ago #81331

here she is at home

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 8 months ago #81332

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 8 months ago #81334

1994Robert,

WELCOME ABOARD & GOOD LUCK on the CarrCraft.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 8 months ago #82080

Here is a update. Got some sanding done. Got a motor, a running 1974 Evinrude 65HP with selectric shift for 200 bucks. we will be repairing the transom here hopefully next weekend. Here are some pics. Enjoy

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 7 months ago #82161

well crap!!!!!!! Today I started to cut out the fiberglass to replace the transome only to find out the stringers are rotten too. O well i guess mind as well do it right. so now im going to start to cut the floor out and restring as well. Minor set back but its okay.
Transom

One of the stringers

Some of the old junk

Still need a lot more cutting and removing but for tonight this will do.

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 7 months ago #82173

Looks like your making some nice progress on carrcraft. Its funny how a little project always seems to turn into a full blown restoration. Look at the bright side you should have only one more day of itchy nightmarish cutting to go, then its time for the fun rebuilding which is much more enjoyable.

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 7 months ago #82343

Well i got home from work today and got a little work done on the old Bat Boat, LOL. Got the rear seat cut out and the floor the previous owner put in was also removed. Not much but its progress.

Right after i cut it out

A little cleaner after vacuuming all the dust.

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 7 months ago #82395

More Progress today. Got the front seat cut out. Got all the glass off the top of the old rotten stringers, now i just need to get all the wood out and clean her all up. Its coming along slowly but its getting there

]

Found out this week too that my Great Great Grandpa used to own Lutes Marineland, one of the biggest boat dealers and outboard engine dealers in NJ and even built his own boats back in the 50s. My Grandpa was telling me that he used to race boats up there too and he showed me magazine clipping they saved from 1958. Pretty neat stuff.

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 7 months ago #82437

Just won a new to me throttle control with the Forward, Natural, and Reverse switches for my 74 Evinrude Selectric 65 HP motor. 57.35 shipped to my door. Cant go wrong there. And the new cowl should be here Tuesday for the motor as well. 40 bucks shipped, you got to love ebay.

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 7 months ago #82605

Got the old transome out today. now i just got to get all the old wood out and clean her up. My dad is looking into some wood tomorrow for her.

Re:1961 CarrCraft Maverick 10 years 7 months ago #82740

well all the wood is finally out. i spent a good 1.5-2 hours today grinding all the old wood out and cleaning up the fiberglass. What a difference. She is now ready for the new wood and glass. Only down fall is that I am itchy as hell right now. today was the worse of the grinding thats for sure. But its done.

Her she is all clean and ready for new wood

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6185 guests and no members online