Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray

1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray 11 years 4 months ago #72006

I see there are at least a few other Custom Crafts on this site. I obtained this boat last month from my grandfather, in nearly 100% original condition. My grandfather bought it new in 1961 after his other ( wood ) boat got damaged beyond practical repair. Originally equipped with a Merc 300, it was repowered in 1964 with a 650 which was new that year, due to the 300 getting some damage, and a ski boat can always use more HP. That same 650 hangs on the transom now. I was told he couldn't get it running 10-12 years ago when he last tried to start it, but it shows promise. It is complete, and it turns with compression. I have not tried to start it yet.. The boat was last tagged in 2001, but I think it was last in the water in the late 90's. The transom repair is a mess, but I will remove it and make a new transom correctly, and repair the holes from where the PW was bolted fast.. Pretty soon I will start work on it. Just waiting for a lifting eye/ flywheel puller for the OB, and then I can start pulling it apart. Never done a boat before, but I have done woodworking and I'm also familliar with fiberglass. I plan to bring it back to original condition. Seats are usable, dash vinyl is decent. I want to leave some of the patina, to save money, but also because it just shows enjoyment it has provided.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray 11 years 4 months ago #72009

matt167,

WELCOME ABOARD.

NIFTY rig, too.
(If it was mine, I'd be looking for a 1961 OMC OB to restore for it.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray 11 years 4 months ago #72010

Thanks for the welcome. As much as I would like an OMC because I grew up around them, I think it's right for this boat to stick with the Merc that's on it. It's always been powered by a Merc since new. Every boat my dad ever had that was an Outboard, was a Johnson. I know the Merc is going to cost some to get running and keep it in shape, but it's been on that transom 48 years. The boat has been covered since new. The last 15 years or so, covered by a tarp in a lean to.

Re:1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray 11 years 4 months ago #72017

matt, welcome to the customcraft club. theres about 6 of us here that are fairly active on the forum. good luck in your restoration. ron
Attachments:

Re:1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray 11 years 4 months ago #72026

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Matt, welcome aboard. You will get oodles of help here for both your transom replacement and if you go the the Merc string there is a bunch of Mercheads that will give you professional help.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray 11 years 4 months ago #72100

Thanks. I have a feeling the ignition system is what's wrong with the OB, so I'm not worried there, costly parts but available.. Transom repair is what actually concerns me. Not because I'v never done it, but I don't know what kind of uglieness that plywood scab has caused. I don't think it's been in the water with that repair more than a few times, but still. Once I get the OB off and on the stand, I will unbolt the plywood and see what's up with it. I will pull the cap to do the transom when it's time. The deck is shot also, feels solid but there is fiberglass overtop of the vinyl floor covering, which can only mean one thing. Also figure the 50 year old foam is most likely water logged.

Re:1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray 11 years 4 months ago #72240

Nice project. Looking forward to hearing more about it. Posted a few more things on the CC Page.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray 11 years 4 months ago #72282

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
..MATT.: CONGRATS & Welcome..It looks like you are sort of close to Hunter MTN in the catskills. I was born in Troy & many years in Poughkeepsie.. I had a similar Tiger Ray for a short period of time
here in east Tenn. Custom Crafts were made in Buffalo , NY.
. That Aluminum CAP plate for the transom ,under the outboard

is actually where the SERIAL # is stamped for the model , date of build , # vol #. It is VERY SMALL, impressed & Upside down on the inside of the right splashwell. Can post here when you find.??

I have a few Merc's 65 , from mid 60's to early 70's .. Your MAG
should have POINTS inside , & the typical file clean & the rotor tips, & cap 4 posts clean should get your spark back ..IMO.!

Keep us posted on your updates..

Re:1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray 11 years 4 months ago #72285

Yep, I actually work at Hunter MTN. I have located the serial tag. It is on a metal tag. I haven't read it yet Can't stand in the back of the boat on the trailer not hitched up because of the weight balance. Once I get the outboard off the transom, it should be more stable to get in check the numbers. I tried to take a pic of it to read it, but it did not come out clear.

I know the mag has points. I planned on pulling it apart, filing/ gapping the points, check the condition of the coil and cap. The throttle does not open also. Distributor goes to full advance, but the lever barely pushes on the throttle linkage.. It will take some tinkering but it will run again.

Re:1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray 11 years 4 months ago #72402

Got some stuff done today. OB was pulled the other day. Started to pull off the plywood scabbing off the transom. Got the small piece off and then pulled the aluminum plates.. Pulled off some of the old 'repair' fiberglass and found some damage on the cap, but nothing major. Broken piece is still there. Just shows, the transom flexed enough to break the cap. I think the plywood used was pressure treated as it was part of an old plywood stop sign.

Re:1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray 10 years 8 months ago #81434

I've been working on this boat for a while now that I have time to. Got the cradle built and started deconstructing it. I cut a test hole in the hull and was suprised to find that it did not use plywood in that section, and I actually cut a hole in the bottom of the boat. Not a big deal as I used an oscilating saw and the removed section still fit tight, so I ground and glassed it back in..

Anyone know how these thigs were built? I've got a lot of the plywood from the center pulled but I know that it ends somewhere about 6" from the side. I don't want to cut or crowbar another hole in the hull.. It appears they used a layer of plywood on the hull bottom, poured in foam, put another layer of plywood ontop and then fiberglassed over the entire deck including the sides where there is no plywood

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8326 guests and 2 members online