Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 195? Glasspar Del Mar

195? Glasspar Del Mar 11 years 7 months ago #69389

I hesitate to call it a '53 but that is what the po says it is. I thought I would share some pictures of the new baby. I hope to fully rebuild (not restore) her over the coming months and maybe years. The ride home.

Gotta love the windshield.

Still has most of the hardware.

Hand engraved serial number. Anybody know if this is original?

The added on transom that I will be removing. Previously supported a pair of Johnson 40hp.

The rest of the starboard wing is in the boat. It was modified with hinges to allow easier access.

Old Evinrude dual controls.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 195? Glasspar Del Mar 11 years 7 months ago #69390

The first step will be to get it off the trailer. It did not come with this galvanized Shorelander but it fit OK. I will need to take lots more pictures and start stripping everything. The rub rail is gone so that saves a step but I am looking at splitting the top deck before jumping in to the refinishing.

Fiberglass is new to me. I have done plenty of reading but no first hand experience. It will get a new transom and some floor work. The floor is not horrible but there are some soft spots. It is currently just glass and plywood, so I won't be sacrificing any expensive carpet.

Re:195? Glasspar Del Mar 11 years 7 months ago #69393

Welcome! That is going to be one nice project.
When you get going ask lots of questions, this is a great site.

Re:195? Glasspar Del Mar 11 years 6 months ago #69398

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Very cool. I love the old DelMars. Pretty boats.

That is not the original hull number. NVZ denotes Nevada Home Made, meaning at some time in the past the state of Nevada required the owner to register it as a homebuilt boat, most probably because the state requires a HIN on a boat, and they were not use on older boats like this (at least not a 'standard' system)

The floor is rotten. Figure the stringers will be too. There is no such thing as 'some soft spots'- There are only a few areas where it is evident now, but because of how it was built, they rot from the bottom up. The plywood wasn't coated on the bottom, and neither were the stringers. They are going to be toast.

But- It's all fixable, and not overly difficult, if you are persistant and not afraid to get dirty, and ask questions!

-Andrew

Re:195? Glasspar Del Mar 11 years 6 months ago #69739

I figured I would have to replace a fair amount of the stringers.

I am looking at blasting it with soda. I have a soda blaster but I have read that soda won't cut the gel coat. I can always use sand or Al oxide but those make a big mess and I don't want to cut any deeper than I have to. Any opinions? Should I split the hull before I blast it?

I took the risk of buying it without a title. At this point I don't have any real money into the deal but I want to get it legal before I put too many hours and dollars into it. It has no motor so that is one less piece of paper to worry about. The trailer is titled. If anyone can assist or offer direction on the title issue please contact me via PM.

Thanks for the welcome. I hope I can turn this into a cool boat not just cool yard art.

Re:195? Glasspar Del Mar 11 years 6 months ago #69783

I've heard glass beads for gel coat removal. Looking have that done on the deck of my project.

Great boat, BTW

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:195? Glasspar Del Mar 11 years 6 months ago #69797

smart idea to get the paperwork before investing time and money into it. every state seems to have different requirements,some are very easy and others are almost impossible. i would recommend going to the title office and asking what has to be done. perhaps a lost title will be all that is necessary. since it has the full lenght sides on it i would say that it is a 56 or 57. starting in 58 the side wings were cut down. in case you don't know,the front windshield in the cabin is the back window of a 55 studebaker. as for spliting the hull,once you have removed everything from the inside,you will have total access. i think spliting the hull will just be a waste of your time. skipp

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6778 guests and one member online