• Page:

TOPIC: Project: Unknown

Project: Unknown 11 years 7 months ago #68469

• STN19
  • STN19's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
hey guys just picked up this boat as a new project, not sure exactly what make it is (hoping some of you guys can help with that) but i am excited to start tearing into it and learning more about it along the way. I was told the motor was a 1961 johnson 40hp but as for the hall i have no idea. here are a few pics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Project: Unknown 11 years 7 months ago #68484

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard STN, glad to have you join us. I'm sure one of the gang will be able to help you identify your new project, looks like a keeper for sure!

Mark

Re:Project: Unknown 11 years 7 months ago #68534

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Another one gets the fever.
Welcome aboard. One of those bullet proof older Johnsons. Parts are still available and they are simple to work on.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:Project: Unknown 11 years 7 months ago #68626

• STN19
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
gave the boat a good wash and vaccum and pushed it into the garage today. starting removing the rats nest of wiring from the interior as well as other misc stuff.

just a question guys, I want to test run the engine just wondering what the best way to do it? i was thing of removing the prop and submerging the lower unit into a barrel of water? what do you guys do? thanks

Re:Project: Unknown 11 years 7 months ago #68636

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
For testing I run mine in a garbage can. Never start it dry. It will ruin the rubber water pump impeller. You can run it with the prop off but don't rev it up too high. You can run it enough to tune it up so you know it will work at the lake, but I don't like to go much above "start" rpm without a prop on there.

That boat looks like a fairly easy fix. Tune it up and go try it out before winter!

Re:Project: Unknown 11 years 7 months ago #68641

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Stick an empty garbage can under it and fill with water. It's a good way to check the cooling system. I would take the cowel off and make sure to feel the cylinder sides after you get it running to see if it's cooling. You should be able to keep your hand/fingers on the sides without any problems, if it gets very warm shut 'er down right away. I personally would change out the impeller anyway because if it sat for a few years the rubber takes a "set" and is less efficient. Easy job on the older omc's, drop the lower unit, put the lower in a holder/vice, take out the four bolts, slip on the new impeller, reseal the unit and put it back together.

Re:Project: Unknown 11 years 7 months ago #68649

• STN19
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
thanks for the tips guys definitely gonna keep them in mind. The guy I bought this boat off of changed out the impeller this year but only ran the boat once so maybe it wouldn't hurt to take a look at it. also would it maybe be worth it to pick up a test prop instead of running no prop, or is running no prop sufficient? and I think I may be on to what kind of boat this thing is, I was looking through the archives and came across some early 60's leavens comets and they seem to share a lot of the same characteristics so i shall keep digging.

Re:Project: Unknown 11 years 7 months ago #68913

• STN19
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
had the boat running last night and it runs great! could probably use a minor tune up but other than that it was solid. Just another question guys my throttle and forward reverse cables seemed to be pretty stiff. now I tried using the adjustments but it was still pretty stiff any suggestions on how to get them moving more freely? thanks

Re:Project: Unknown 11 years 7 months ago #68918

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
If you unhook the cables from the motor and try shifting they should be real easy. If not a good cleanup will probably do the trick. The shift box is relativly simple, just some levers and gears but over the years the grease becomes more like heavy wax. If you carefully remove the shift cover (take pictures so if something falls out you can get it back in the right place) be carefull because some of those shifters have spring/ball detents in them. put some sort of rag or something to catch the black greasy stuff that's gunna fall out, spray the whole setup with carb cleaner or something of that nature that will disolve the old grease. A small paintbrush usually comes in handy also to "scrub" with. The cables themselves usually don't stick up unless the cable lining got compromised ie rust, dirt etc.
Put some fresh lube on the gears and pivot points, put the cover back on and "exercise" the shifter a few strokes, should be good to go. It's usually not a good idea to attempt shifting when the motor is not running.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6654 guests and 2 members online