Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Glasspar Del Mar

Glasspar Del Mar 11 years 9 months ago #64605

Well I'm past the first happiest day of a boat owners life, so now for reality. Lots of work ahead of me.Actually getting too old to be doing projects, I should be looking for a more ready to use boat..
According to previous owner, he got the boat from a friend in 1996 that in 1995 replaced "some(?)" of the transom.
He used the boat a couple years after that, then started in on the stringers and floor. Later, he replaced the stringers and floor; no pictures of work, but it would be nice to see what was actually done. He used treated plywood, and one of my concerns is he only used chopped mat with resin, which to me just soaks up a lot of resin, but does not provide much structural strength. Boat has sat for a few years untouched/unfinished as he hurt his back, and couldn't work on it, now new neighborhood rules just put the straw on the camels back and he got rid of it.
Hull is fairly shiny, original, deck is weathered, lots of spider cracks, front glass is good, but gasket is shot. Will need a gasket.
If the glass wasn't there I would not have gotten the boat as that would be impossible to find, so I'm told.
Today I find a one foot stress crack along the keel. So now I'm thinking to open up the inside and have a look on what was done in there; if that was backed up inside or what..
I was really wanting a less of a project, plus I really wanted an older Dorsett Catalina, before they straightened up the transom to look like all the other boats.
Sad that the small cabin boats design generally went away, replaced by so called "Cuddy Cabin", or a ski boat look on steroids..
So we'll see where this project goes.
Been looking for some pictures of a Del Mar, around transom areas, and general.. Only found one boat mentioned in the gallery.
Couple questions, motorwell area look, and if a 35 would plane the boat with two,200lb people, and their stuff for a day outing, or should I go a little bigger? I'm not in to doing mach 2 with my hair on fire with wife aboard.. (That's left for the 8 footer with a 40)..
Wavewalker
Astoria, Oregon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Glasspar Del Mar 11 years 9 months ago #64623

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
.W.W. : GOOD DEAL , WELCOME , Glasspar that two big plants on the west coast , & two here in mid Atlantic.. You do not say what year is your Del-Mar . 1st style was the 56 - 60 , (Round Studebaker car glass), Then they had a non curved front cabin for 60-61. ?? \ Here is a rear pic from Fla show member Denny A & his 61 style.

There should be lots of prior posts for the early lines in the forums. Use SEARCH tool bar above.PICS here.
Again CONGRATS. www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/2-main-forum/39000-help-identifying-model.html#39022

Re:Glasspar Del Mar 11 years 9 months ago #64644

Oh yea, title says 1958; here is one picture.
Attachments:

Re:Glasspar Del Mar 11 years 9 months ago #64647

Back view, note no cabin bulkhead..
Attachments:

Re:Glasspar Del Mar 11 years 9 months ago #64650

Kind of a side view, I was actually taking a picture of the rowboat I'm trying to finish up so I can start on the Del Mar.. But the mist and sea fog that hangs over the North Oregon Coast makes it challenging; everything stays too damp till mid afternoon..
Another thing, the trailer the Del Mar sits on was modified weird, makes the boat sit almost 18 inches above the fenders, almost need an orchard ladder to get into the boat; challenge is all the mods were welded in, so there is no unbolting to change things, so I'm going to look for a different trailer.. If I had a torch I'd cut all that off and the trailer would be more suited for a flat bottom boat.
ALSO I should start looking for a long shaft Merc, 40-50 hp.. My dad was a factory trained Mercury mechanic from 1958-64, and did some trips to the Lake "X" facility for training and some marathon running some of the boats. At that time we lived on Buzzards Bay, MA; as he had retired from the Air Force there, but we moved "back" to WA state where I was born. He had built a cabin on a lake South of Puyallup, WA in the late 40's that his parents were living in while he was stationed in different places. When we got back, they moved across the lake and we moved in, and dad started adding on for my brother and sister. When I left in 1970, the home was still not finished.
My sister and her husband live on the property right now, but the house has been condemmed, dad left it to her, who has done nothing with it, so it fell apart. She and her husband both are unemployed, so they moved onto the property to try and save money, but no money to repair the place.. Sad..
So I got exposed to boats at an early age. Neighbor had a Dorsett Catalina, which is what I ultimately want, but you know the old saying, one in the hand...
ww
Attachments:

Re:Glasspar Del Mar 11 years 9 months ago #64687

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
W.W> : Nice RED Color,, I like the exterior.. Here is a pic of a two cyl 55 HP OMC that we ran on our 1st Glasspar Sedan which is a 17 1/2 model. It worked fine.. I would not go below a 50 hp on your Del- Mar.. I hear it is nifty about your Dad & Lake "X" marathon testing. ( Was that RAVEAU boats.??) We lived east ono Rt # 192 Melbourne , Fla & my son went there for his Marine voc tours..

Re:Glasspar Del Mar 11 years 8 months ago #64993

Not sure of the type or name of boats at the lake, but I do remember a PowerCat he was working on at the marina he worked at, with twins, mentioning that it was similar to the one he ran at the lake.
Sooo, I've taken the boat off the trailer, properly propped up back behind the shed (so wife doesn't have to stare at it), about 6 inches off the ground, slightly bow up, so if any water gets in, it will drain to the back. I can stand beside the boat and work on the deck. I'm using a drummel on all the gel coat cracks, going to gel coat putty them and sand; which is a lot. But a few at a time.. Then I'll decide if a re-gel coat, or paint will be the covering.. I might get away with buffing the hull, or maybe a light sand and paint/gel coat the hull too..
In the mean time if I can find an old small boat I can get some parts off of..
I found a picture of one of these with an offshore bracket and outboard which caught my eye, well just options and ideas. I don't want to get so carried away I spend too much time fixing up the boat rather than using the boat..
WW

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6123 guests and no members online