Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1968 Bombardier Sea Doo

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 11 years 6 months ago #69801

SeaFlash

I did have two more questions if you don't mind.

1. Where did you get your Berkely drive rebuilt?

and...

2. Where did you get the small piece of rubber on the dash that the steering bar goes through?

I've found a good professional to work my fiberglass and I'm working on a place to send my motor to get it rebuilt.

Once again, thanks for all you've helped me with!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 11 years 6 months ago #69803

• SeaFlash
  • SeaFlash's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
James H Williams II wrote:

SeaFlash

I did have two more questions if you don't mind.

1. Where did you get your Berkely drive rebuilt?

The 1968 Berkeley Turbine is simplistic in design, as long as the drive shaft isn't bent. Pretty much just change the bearings within the housing. McMaster/Carr is a good source to start.

and...

2. Where did you get the small piece of rubber on the dash that the steering bar goes through?

Jim, that is a tough one to answer. Fortunately mine was still good. I was watching one on eBay that went for over $70.00 for the piece of rubber. My recommendation is to keep watching eBay at this time.

Fire away with questions...after all, that is why we are here.

P.S....the '68 is a like riding a somewhat uncontrolled hockey puck on ice. Really lots o' fun!!!

~SeaFlash

"Long Live the Fin"

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 11 years 6 months ago #69806

Thanks once again!

We have a bearing place here in town so the Berkely won't be an issue.

I worked for two rubber supply houses in the past. If in fact I can't find the original one I can at least get a ribbed one (though it won't stop around the handle bars like the original.)

I saw how you posted a pic of the old school SeaDoo toy... do you have one of those? How about the August 1968 Popular Mechanics magazine? I've purchased several of both and if you'd like I'll send you one of both... appreciation for your information (Southern hospitality style!)

As for the ride I can't wait. I have a mint 1996 SPX (X4 hull style) and I love riding it. Take it out to the outskirts of the barrier islands and jumping waves is one of my favorite past times! I can only imagine the faces of folks when I bring this 320 up!

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 11 years 6 months ago #69885

• SeaFlash
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
James H Williams II wrote:

Thanks once again!

I saw how you posted a pic of the old school SeaDoo toy... do you have one of those? How about the August 1968 Popular Mechanics magazine? I've purchased several of both and if you'd like I'll send you one of both... appreciation for your information (Southern hospitality style!)

James,

Unfortunately, not too much produced for the general public to purchase back in 1968 pertaining to the Model 320 Sea Doo.

The most difficult to find (for me) was a good condition original manual with clear plastic snap envelope. The search for 1968 Sea Doo memorabilia continues.

"Long Live the Fin"

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo seat 11 years 5 months ago #70533

Love the project, nice to see pride in workmanship!
I'm currently restoring my machine and I would like to know if the seat material was the orignal or was it a replacement? if so where did u accurire it?

Cheers
Chris(Aurora)

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo seat 11 years 5 months ago #70534

I'm currently restoring my machine and I would like to know if the seat material was the orignal or was it a replacement? if so where did u accurire it?

Cheers
Chris(Aurora)

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 11 years 5 months ago #70543

• SeaFlash
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Aurora wrote:

Cheers
Chris(Aurora)

Welcome to the board Aurora. Here's a previously submitted response to your query on page one of this topic. Hope it helps.

Good luck with your project and it's great to hear another one will saved from the crusher.

James H Williams II previously wrote:

I have a quick question. Mine still has the original seat (in fair shape as well). However, I wondered what material you used to recover yours and where you purchased it from?

SeaFlash previously wrote:

The material I used was a close match to the original vinyl pattern purchased from Goose over on the old Ski Doo Sled board. These die hard vintage Bombardier sledheads are very willing to help out any vintage Ski Doo individual. They can be found by Googling "oldski-doosleds".

~SeaFlash

"Long Live the Fin"

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 11 years 5 months ago #70544

SeaFlash,

NICE thread, BEAUTIFUL re-storation AND a NIFTY little boat!

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 11 years 5 months ago #70552

• SeaFlash
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
satx78247 wrote:

SeaFlash,

NICE thread, BEAUTIFUL re-storation AND a NIFTY little boat!

yours, satx

Thanks satx78247. The kind words are always appreciated especially with the unexpected obstacles that seemed to always develop unexpectedly.

Hmmmm...I just wonder if there was signifiicance to the word Nifty? ;)

Video to be uploaded in the upcoming weeks.

~SeaFlash

"Long Live the Fin"

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 11 years 5 months ago #70565

Thanks for the help, I have sent an email to Ron (goose) in regards to the seat material. sorry I must have not seen the posting of the seat question.

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 11 years 5 months ago #70571

SeaFlash,

Darned if i know. - a person, who i've known since childhood almost 6 decades ago, used to use "NIFTY" to describe comething that was "JUST RIGHT" in every regard.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 11 years 5 months ago #70646

• SeaFlash
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
SeaFlash wrote:

Hmmmm...I just wonder if there was significance to the word Nifty?

satx78247 wrote:

SeaFlash,

Darned if i know. - a person, who i've known since childhood almost 6 decades ago, used to use "NIFTY" to describe comething that was "JUST RIGHT" in every regard.

yours, satx

Satx,

I just asked because that was what I named my '54 Century and your description of Nifty was spot on. The word has always personally meant a great era of time. Thanks.

~SeaFlash

"Long Live the Fin"

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 10 years 10 months ago #77996

Great project. So inspiring I found a 1968 Seadoo to tackle myself. A few questions if I may:

1. Did you use an epoxy paint, or gelcoat? Do you have color codes that you used?

2. Do you have the model of gas tank you used? I would think external venting would be critical. I have thought about installing a small PWC type of tank with the necessary venting pick ups. . . space appears to be limited.

3. I have pulled wiring diagrams from the below sites, but are note very clear. I also see that a service manual can be purchased (but apparently the copies are not very clear). Any additional sources of reference material that you could point me to would be most appreciated.

4. My motor spins free . . and I think I will do a leak down test . . if it passes, I will go through the carb and attempt to run it. What made you decide to go through your entire motor? I like the original look of my motor as is . . .and would like to avoid those costs if possible. My muffler has already been redone in stainless. Any guidance here would be appreciated.

5. Did you go through Bill Schisan for the decals, Or do you have another source?

6. I plan to use US Composites for my repair supplies, do you have another recommendation and/or a bill of materials that you would recommend I order for epoxying the hull?

7. What sealer did you use on your white oak stringers?

8. Curious how you did your venting, could you provide a picture of where you mounted the blower motor, and how you wired it? Looked through the pictures a third time, and not 100% certain.

I plan to dive into the project this winter . . and am collecting information and materials between now and then. I am sure I will have more questions as I dive into it.

Thank you!

Kevin
Lake Stevens, WA
Attachments:

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 10 years 10 months ago #77997

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 10 years 10 months ago #77998

Here is a picture of my motor and tank . .
Attachments:

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 10 years 10 months ago #77999

Mine also has the larger hull identification tag . . mine also has 4 holes in the dash . . and three push button switches on the wiring harness . . but 45 years later who knows what mods has been done. Appears that this craft made it (license wise) all the way to the 1990's before it was put to rest.
Attachments:

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 10 years 10 months ago #78009

• SeaFlash
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
kkosche wrote:

Mine also has the larger hull identification tag . . mine also has 4 holes in the dash . . and three push button switches on the wiring harness . . but 45 years later who knows what mods has been done. Appears that this craft made it (license wise) all the way to the 1990's before it was put to rest.

Kevin,

Great looking project, especially when another great classic will be saved from the crusher.

I'll need to look up some answers to your previous questions, however right off the bat I believe you have the model 320 Sea Doo built in the second year of production from 1969.

The stainless steel muffler is one heck of an improvement over the first year 1968 muffler. They rusted very fast leaving little for fabrication.

I'm not positive about the four holes in the dash in a 1969 model 320. The 1968 model 320 came only with an ignition keyed on/off switch and a separate momentary chrome push start button. As I'm sure you read, I switched over to Bombardier's keyed ignition off, on and start switch and incorporated a tethered kill switch. This left room for a more balanced dash with the incorporated 30 mph speedometer.

More to come.

Thanks for posting and welcome to a great site.

P.S. I haven't forgotten about posting the video as previously mentioned last September of 2012. Just need time to edit the darn thing.

~SeaFlash

"Long Live the Fin"

Re:1968 Bombardier Sea Doo 10 years 9 months ago #78412

• SeaFlash
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
kkosche wrote:

Great project. So inspiring I found a 1968 Seadoo to tackle myself. A few questions if I may:

1. Did you use an epoxy paint, or gelcoat? Do you have color codes that you used?

A polyurethane paint was used and color matched to the hidden fiberglass seat back of the deck. Unfortunately, I do not have the brand of polyurethane or color codes; however Goose (Ron) over at the old ski doo boards should be able to direct you if you need specific color codes:

Click Here for Old Ski Doo Board

kkosche wrote:

2. Do you have the model of gas tank you used? I would think external venting would be critical. I have thought about installing a small PWC type of tank with the necessary venting pick ups. . . space appears to be limited.

I utilized a 3 gallon Attwood gas tank.

kkosche wrote:

3. I have pulled wiring diagrams from the below sites, but are note very clear. I also see that a service manual can be purchased (but apparently the copies are not very clear). Any additional sources of reference material that you could point me to would be most appreciated.

Unfortunately I do not have wiring diagrams for the 1969 Sea Doo.

kkosche wrote:

4. My motor spins free . . and I think I will do a leak down test . . if it passes, I will go through the carb and attempt to run it. What made you decide to go through your entire motor? I like the original look of my motor as is . . .and would like to avoid those costs if possible. My muffler has already been redone in stainless. Any guidance here would be appreciated.

The Rotax engine in the 1968 Sea Doo was a time tested engine utilized in the Ski Doo snowmobiles of the time. The crankcase seals along with compression test operated within limits. The carburetor was cleaned and rebuilt with a Winderosa kit that is still available.

The stainless muffler far exceeds the muffler of 1968. Two shot 1968 mufflers were sacrificed to determine the factory construction, and then custom built. There was no other choice.

kkosche wrote:

5. Did you go through Bill Schisan for the decals, Or do you have another source?

The decals were reproduced by a local sign shop. Some of your decals may be available (in part) from DooDecals:

www.skidoodecals.afegraphics.com/index.php?adminshopping=&cat_id=9262&catname='1969

kkosche wrote:

6. What sealer did you use on your white oak stringers?

Any wood preservative with proper curing should be fine since it was all eventually covered over in epoxy.

kkosche wrote:

7. Curious how you did your venting, could you provide a picture of where you mounted the blower motor, and how you wired it? Looked through the pictures a third time, and not 100% certain.

The muffin fan is 12 volt wired hot into the battery with a hidden toggle switch under the raised seat. Wired hot so as it vents the engine compartment of gas vapors while eventually inserting key. ALWAYS lift the seat for a proper amount of time to aid in further alleviation of gasoline fumes. Probably overkill, however “safety first”.

Hope the aforementioned information helps with your restoration process.

~SeaFlash

"Long Live the Fin"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat