Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1959 Herters rebuild

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49104

63 Sabre, nice tutorial on cleaning aluminum parts. The pics also help us ADDs as well as first graders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49132

• bogman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Very nice work !! Enjoyed reading this thread, thanks for posting .....

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49156

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Thank yewww, again.
Did some work on the dash panel today. Cut some mahogany plugs, drilled holes for the fastening bolts and stained and sealed. Needs a lot of "fine tuning" on the steering wheel mount but working on it.
More pictures.

Drilled the counter sink holes for the bolts.

Cut the plugs for the holes. Note the high dollar drill press Same one I used for drilling the large holes for the tailights, you can see a partial of the port fin on the right.

Always make about a dozen more than you need, those buggers fine an easy way to fall and get lost.

Pop 'em out with a screwdriver.

This scrap mahogany is 49 years old, parts of my woodie Sabre. The ultimate recycle.

Make sure you make the right size plugs and when gluing them place run the grain of the plug the same direction as the grain of the wood.

Stained and sealed.

First step, will have to tweak the wheel mount, glue in the mounting bolts, glue in the plugs, knock them down, sand them flush, stain and the put about a gazillion coats of poly on. I'm not a varnish person, sorry. :lol:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49202

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

This scrap mahogany is 49 years old, parts of my woodie Sabre. The ultimate recycle.

How cool! Looking beautiful, Cal. ;)

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49238

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Went to one of our local Fastenal stores today to buy some SS machine screws for the dash and side trim. I need about 150 screws, flat washers, lock washers and nuts to complete the project. They only had 27 on hand but can get the rest by early in the morning. No problem, I have until next spring to use them. Anyway... $13+ chance for the lot. Far better than the aluminum nuts, bolts, wood screws that were on the Herters and corroded to nothing. Ol/ George Herter really liked his aluminum! :lol:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49269

cal,i bought some stainless bolts from fastnal too,but they kept breaking,look at where they are made.
unbelievable ,and my dad is rolling over in his grave,because he had 38 years in the steelmills.
i took them back and went to lowes,samething,so if i were you ,dont over tighten them,lol.
and boy does that dash look good,the steering wheel mount looks fantastic,i know how hard it is to make rounded shapes.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49277

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the advice (again). The screws will be used for attaching just about everything including the dash panel. Mostly for the aluminum trim that covers the sandwhich between the top and bottom. I called them bolts but the guy at Fastenal called them screws. I always thought screws were pointy for wood etc and bolts were flat tipped for nuts etc. Phillips head "machine screws". Never too old to learn.

Still working on that wheel mount, sorta looks like a boob hanging there, gotta fix that. The belt sander with 40 grit makes a good shaper and then a rounding off with the multi-max sander, some finishing with 220 and 600. I put 17 coats of poly on my woodie to get the mirror finish, wet sanding between layers.

There is no local Lowes in my area but we have two Home Depots and two Menards so I'll check with them for some other screws/bolts.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49290

i think it looks great cal.
as for the bolts,lowes are made in tiawan too,the only reason i said anything is when we tried to bolt the motor on the sunray ,the fastenal stainless bolt broke right off with very little effort,i just didnt want to see the same thing happen to you,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49426

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Spent some time on the dash panel again. Matched the panel with the dash and drilled the mounting holes.

Set the screws in the countersunk panel holes.

Put in a dab of Elmer's wood glue. Can't put too much in otherwise you get a hydraulic effect when inserting the wood plugs.

Put the plugs in and tapped them tight.

The machine screws are now set in place to match the holes in the dash.

Tomorrow, after cleaning gutters and raking leaves and the Elmers is dry I will cut down the pegs, sand them and start finish coats of stain and poly on the whole shebang, put primer on the wheel mount and move on to another section of the project.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49434

Cal,
Looking good, this is a great thread. your moving right along.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49662

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Painted the wheel mount on the dash panel yesterday, did the wheel today. Made a "custom" mahogany insert to replace the cracked ride guide logo, matches the dash panel. Not stained or varnished yet but ready for assembly next spring.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49667

Sweet, that's going to blend in nice with the dash

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49692

Looking awesome Cal. I too removed all the original aluminum screws from my '57 Crosby while I'm sanding and varnishing (a far bigger pain in the ass than I thought). Most broke backing them out. My local ACE has an awesome supply of SS nut and bolts--heading there as soon as I get a handle on this varnishing thing. I lost the battle with the cold weather settling in here in central Oregon.
Steering wheel looks awesome!

Brian

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49696

cal that steering wheel is really great looking,i love the center cap,you have alot of skills,john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49697

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Nice job on the wood. It is looking great.
I like the wheel and center of wood.
And as Brian stated, Ace has LOTS of SS bolts,nuts,fasteners. I will be visiting them myself.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49701

• MarkS
Very nice work on the wheel, Cal. Looks great! ;)

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49714

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the tip. I'll hit Ace today and see what's in store.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49715

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the tip. I'll hit Ace today and see what's in store.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49825

Stoked on this project! Can't wait for the next entry!!

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49830

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the encouragement. Slow crazy winter season is upon us and things will taper down. Boreing things like cutting more mahogany, running wires, installing gas tank, fitting lights and finish polishing the aluminum. Made myself a "honey do" list for the boat yesterday and started puttering around with the Merc 58AE. Can't really finish the steering setup without the motor hanging on the back. I'll keep up with pictures as much as I can just for drill.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49835

cal,you better keep up with the pics,lol,i dont have a regular heat source in my garage,so i have to live vicarously throgh your work,lol,thanks for the thread,john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49844

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You guys drive a hard bargain. If if wasn't for you I probably wouldn't be as far as I am. Almost feel obligated to kee doing at least one project a day just to post.
Had to get new tires on the Jeep today so didn't get much else done, getting our first snowstorm here today so also picked up the grandkids from school. Dogone high schoolers still think it's T shirt weather.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49910

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Tackled another problem this evening. The glovebox! The one that was in the boat was ripped up pretty good, not salvageable so I had to come up with something that not only would fit the area but snuggle up to the wood panel.
Walking in Wallyworld the other day it hit me as I passed the tupperware area. Picked up a small storage container just about the size I needed and tried it out. After careful measuring and fitting I took the plunge and cut into the mahogany panel, fingers crossed that everything would work and fit.

Used the Dremel multimax and coping saw to cut the hole. and then sandwiched the "lip" on the container between the mahogany and the original glass dash. Worked out perfect.

Need to do the finish work. put tempory screws on the lid to check the fit and finish. Thinking of a small piano hinge instead of the rusty things that were original.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49918

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Cal : You are a brave man cutting into the Mahogany board after you have put so much time and effort into it ! Really scary isn't it ? Makes the hairs stand up on the back of the neck when you first touch the blade to the board . Turned out looking great . Good ole Yankee ingenuity with the Tupperware glove box - Love it ! :cheer:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49930

• MarkS
Great work on the dash, Cal, as always! The mahogany really sets that dash off, very nice, IMHO.

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #49980

Cal,
Great idea and it turned out awesome!

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #50296

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Been tinkering on the Merc the past two days so haven't touched the boat. After some convincing from other members I have decided to put the 18 gallon fuel tank in the bow area but another problem would be where to put the filler opening. The thought came to me to use the open area in the bow where the hood ornament is. Pretty sure I can hinge the piece to one side and make a flip open fuel fill area. Will try some different angles tomorrow.

The bow piece that could be hinged to open up a fuel fill area.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #50297

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Cal : I have a fuel filler part if you want it - I owe you for the Dorsett parts
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #50316

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Rick, thanks for the offer. I have two filler fittings in my parts box. Also have a plastic 12 gallon tank I might use vs the 18 gal aluminum. See what fits best.
Thanks again.
Cal

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #50317

cal,thats a good idea,my bow piece is hinged for ventalation,do you have the door piece?john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #50318

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
What's left of the door piece is more like it. It is broken on the port side hinge. I still have both pieces if you need something you're welcome to them. Also have the push pull cable with the little black knob. The spotlight is in pieces but all the parts are there, couldn't get it back together. I took that apart because the cable was rusted tight, it also has the matchiing black knob. They're all yours for the asking I'm not going to use either of them.
Cal

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #50324

cal,i was going to take a good pic of the nose piece hatch, for you,but see you already have one.
how bad is the spot light ,i like restoring things like that,and thank you for the offer.john
p.s. todd from pa,should be here soon,i cant wait to meet the guy,he seems like a really nice fella.

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #50339

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The spotlight is good, good chrome, no dents. The bulb is broken but it is a standard GE thing, I wrote the bulb number inside the chrome housing so I would know what was needed if I ever got around to it. All the parts are there but the control cable is rusted so bad and loose from it's mounting. It is repairable if you have the resources and time. It would be like putting a jigsaw puzzle back together I'll take a pic for ya. I will send you the light and cable for the bow piece with the matching dash attachments/knobs and stuff that I took off it.
Mail me with your address and I will pack it up.
Cal

I'll have to find the cable for the vent, I know I put it in a "special" place where I wouldn't loose it. You can see what's left of the vent portion also.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #50363

thank you cal i love restoring jigsaw puzzles,lol,let me know the costs.ill catch up with you soon on it.if i get it working and restored ill send it back to you,john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #50365

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John, There is no cost! It's yours to do with what you want, I do not want it back. I need an address. Free mailing. It's good to know that someone will give it the TLC it needs. If you can get it working with a new cable, stick it on your fish, it is a legal accessory (?).
Sitting in a box in my basement is not proper for a piece of equipment like that.
It should be sitting in a box in your workshop.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #50367

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here's a rough up of how the fuel filler will be under the prow ornament. Just stuck everything together this afternoon to see if it's feasable. It works, just have to buff it out.

The bow with the piece in place and a hinge mounted under the port side.

You can see a small chain hanging down, that's to keep it from overextending on the open position.

Used aluminum pop rivets to attach the piano hinge to the piece, just put drywall screws into the hull for a temporary hold. Now to clean up the edges of the fiberglass, round off the corners, fabricate an insert for the hole, install the filler hardware and put bolt/nuts in place of the screws. Then...find a long enought fuel filler hose to reach to the 12 gallon plastic tank. Oh Ya, also figure out how to mount the tank in the bow area.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #50368

cal,i treid to send you an email,but its not working,can you send one to me?john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #50369

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sent you a mail from this site, nothing says if it was sent at all so I guess it's a by guess, by golly type thing. If you don't get it let me know, I'll give you an alternative address to get in touch.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #50372

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John, the mail isn't working from my end either, must be a bug

Cal
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 4 months ago #50390

It's working now.... !

Hello, World!!
Time to create page: 0.438 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)