Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '58/'59 Performer T-Bird resto project

'58/'59 Performer T-Bird resto project 3 years 8 months ago #143080

Picked up a vintage Performer T-bird off craigslist and am attempting a restoration. I assume it is a 1958 or 1959 model, the lower end of the two available in the product line. The transon was rotted, and some idiot drilled holes into the hull. However the rest of the boat was unmolested, including the original 1958 Scott 40HP outboard. Got the motor running last fall. Split the top/bottom and removed the seating boxes and prepping to glass in the new transom and repair the hull bottom. The remote controls were in terrible shape, having 60 years of gunk in the gears... i was able to 3d print replicas of the gears and with some paint and custom printed decals it looks as good as new. I plan to upgrade the cable steering to a rack/pinion setup from the early 60's.

So much to be done, but i will try to update as i cross things off the to-do list. This is my first boat project so any tips or tricks are appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'58/'59 Performer T-Bird resto project 3 years 8 months ago #143082

Awesome project, the 3d print came out great!

Bob

'58/'59 Performer T-Bird resto project 3 years 7 months ago #143096

Here are some additional images of the replacement gears- i printed them in PETG using 100% infill. The old nylon ones were warped and cracked.
I just finished restoring an old OMC 6gal fuel tank that i will be using for this project. I got 2 tanks from my grandfather's estate, this one was pretty rough on the outside. I am pleased with the results.
Attachments:

'58/'59 Performer T-Bird resto project update 3 years 5 months ago #143432

Finally got the 1st transom board installed and glassed into place. Going to double up the plywood the whole transom (the original had 2 layers of 3/4" ply for ~6" from top then single layer to the bottom of the hull).

Next step is to prep for adding 2nd plywood layer and then adding fiberglass layers
Attachments:

'58/'59 Performer T-Bird resto project update 3 years 5 months ago #143434

Excellent!!!!!!!!!

Bob

'58/'59 Performer T-Bird resto project update 3 years 5 months ago #143435

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Great work. Tech is making it's way onto the site. Keep us posted.

'58/'59 Performer T-Bird resto project 3 years 5 months ago #143439

next on the agenda is trimming plywood and then adding resin "peanut butter" to make fillets in the corners in preparation for fiberlass cloth
Attachments:

'58/'59 Performer T-Bird resto project 2 years 10 months ago #144591

So i have every reason to believe the motor with this boat dates it to 1960, not earlier.

I am in the process of restoring the motor... a Scott 40hp, manual start and i am converting to electric start... will keep updates

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6307 guests and no members online