TOPIC: '64 Custom Craft Sunray - cont from Coosa transoms

'64 Custom Craft Sunray - cont from Coosa transoms 1 month 1 week ago #141558

• tabbs creek
  • tabbs creek's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi All,

This was a barn find in VA but it is not the Sunray possibly made in Salem, VA. An ACBS member has that one in storage.

I started this project as shown in the main forum, Coosa for transoms topic. Pictures are there regarding the prep, laminating and install of the first layer. I'll pick up below with the installation of the inner layer.

The transom core is Bluewater 26, I'll probably use Nautical 24 for the floor.

Pic #26 this is the interior layer. As shown in the Coosa for transoms topic, the first layer was able to slide up behind the motor well in one piece. The inner layer has to be sliced in 2 so that the top piece can go up and behind the well first and then the bottom will pop in place. Both are adhered to the inner layer with thickened epoxy. Here I am adding another layer of 1708 in the middle of the top piece so that it is really snug between the inner layer and motor well. A rubber mallet was used to tap it up.
Pic #27 both sections in place, clamped and bolted.
Pic #28 top exterior, clamp and squeeze
Pic #29 peanut butter with quarter chop mixed in and tabbed in all around
Pic #30 very solid. transom will be capped at this level to bring cavitation plate on engine up where it should be.

Thanks,
Eric

Please Log in to join the conversation.

'64 Custom Craft Sunray - cont from Coosa transoms 3 weeks 5 days ago #141592

• tabbs creek
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
A little more work with the Coosa board:
Pic 32 - 8' of stringers peanut buttered in, then covered in 1708, might have been easier to laminate the 1708 prior to cutting the lengths then tabbing it in and over the top edge
Pic 33 - XPS extruded polystyrene layered in. Fairly easy to install in this section as its flat. Might need to use 2-part expanded foam after this 8' as the V gets more pronounced under front half. I'll shim some 1/2" in outside of the pink board prior to permanently installing the Coosa floor
Pic 34 - checking level chine to chine
Pic 35 - first piece of Coosa cut to fit
Pic 36 - second piece of Coosa cut to fit

I'll pull these out and laminate 1708 to the bottom before installing. So far the Coosa has been easy to work with. I take it outside to cut and wear a high end mask when cutting as it kicks up a lot of foam and glass dust.

'64 Custom Craft Sunray - cont from Coosa transoms 1 week 6 days ago #141626

• tabbs creek
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The transom with Coosa core is getting capped with fiberglass channel.
The floor panels are removed and 1708 is adhere to both the bottom and top. Using the 12" wide cloth made it easy to work at a reasonable pace with the vinyl ester resin. coating the Coosa first, placing the pre-cut 1708, rolling out excess, top coating and rolling again. Then moved to the next section.

Pic 37 - Transom cap adhered
Pic 38 - Trying Total Boat 2-part epoxy fairing compound
Pic 39 - All previous mount holes and blemishes filled
Pic 40 - 1708 pre cut and applied
Pic 41 - both sides done

'64 Custom Craft Sunray - cont from Coosa transoms 1 week 4 days ago #141635

Great progress keep up the good work!

Bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: tabbs creek

'64 Custom Craft Sunray - cont from Coosa transoms 7 hours 58 minutes ago #141690

• tabbs creek
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The Coosa board continues to be easy to work with. When coating with resin, you can see little dots where it is penetrating the foam. Then 1708 is rolled on, more resin, and a wide paddle roller used to flatten and squeeze out air bubbles and excess resin.

Pic 42 small bow section, tabbing was added while easy to roll out evenly all around as the space up front is tight.
Pic 43 wetting out the tab
Pic 44 gray epoxy primer rolled on while still easy to access and the middle support was replaced with a Coosa wrapped in glass version
Pic 45 ribs are added under the cockpit section that will get traffic and weight. Tabbed in and covered in glass.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

1972 60hp Evinrude Surf 60
( / Engines)

1972 60hp Evinrude Surf 60
01-18-2020