Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Intro-Century Resorter 18 light project

Intro-Century Resorter 18 light project 9 months 1 day ago #138510

Hi All, new glassic owner here on Cape Cod. Long story short is we have a nice recent Chaparral that is a wonderful boat....make that appliance. I wanted something with character and style, but am not at the wood boat stage yet; retired:-) Found this Resorter and giving it a fluff and buff over the Winter as well as some moderate r&m; electrical, hoses, etc. She runs fine and I am looking forward to the project and getting her in the water next Spring.

My first boat project, so i expect to be here looking for advice. Happy Holidays all!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Intro-Century Resorter 18 light project 9 months 1 day ago #138513

Well may I say welcome aboard, glad you're here and very nice choice!!! Don't know if you know it but there's a Century Boat Club. They're on facebook, if you have an account. I'm a member there as well as here. Post any questions you have and we'll be glad to answer as best we can. There's a lot of smart people on here that can help.

Bob

Intro-Century Resorter 18 light project 9 months 17 hours ago #138515

thank you Bob, I will look at the Century Boat Club

Intro-Century Resorter 18 light project 7 months 5 days ago #138899

Some progress. I have all of the gauges working, new horns, led bow light (identical in appearance to the original) and replaced the only really soft wood on the boat; the vinyl covered plywood panels on the fore and aft decks. I went for a teak laminate, but kept all of the original panels.

These are pics of the test fits, so not perfect when I took the pics.

Intro-Century Resorter 18 light project 7 months 4 days ago #138907

Hmmm don't see the pictures. Make sure you bring them down in size to below 1mg. You can resize them with quite a few different app's.

Bob

Intro-Century Resorter 18 light project 7 months 4 days ago #138915

Hmmm.... I posted then ran out to dinner, just rechecked.

These were final test fits, so trim isn't perfect and boat is dirty. better now.

Also, the original wiper motors aren't available, and the ones currently available move down a fair amount from park before they reverse their sweep and they must be mounted so they park as I have them. Luckily, they don't really obstruct vision anywhere near as much as you would expect....not that I have much choice.

Try again on the pics:

Attachments:

Intro-Century Resorter 18 light project 7 months 3 days ago #138917

Ah much better!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's coming along nicely!

Bob

Intro-Century Resorter 18 light project 7 months 11 hours ago #138928

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 104
Sweet! I have a soft spot for Centurys.

Intro-Century Resorter 18 light project 1 month 3 hours ago #140774

Well, I think I am just about done...only abut 4 mos late, but we had some illness (parents) and life get in the way, plus finding some rot in the seat frames, tank sleepers, etc,. but thankfully none in the floors or structure.

Plan to splash her over the next two weeks to get some end of season use.

The Resorters are pretty boats...

Attachments:

Intro-Century Resorter 18 light project 4 weeks 2 days ago #140777

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Just beautiful! A showpiece on the water. Hope your launch goes as perfect as the boat itself. Be prepared to spend a lot of time at the ramp talking to admirers. Calm winds and fair seas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pitchrollyaw

Intro-Century Resorter 18 light project 3 weeks 6 days ago #140803

Thank you Sabre!

Intro-Century Resorter 18 light project 3 weeks 2 days ago #140840

Launched!

Runs great, fast and a lot of fun. One riser runs hotter than the other....not excessive, but something I will deal with in the off season. Bit fast at idle speed, the long no wake zone and canal will be a slight hallenge, but part of learning an inboard.

Wife took this long distance pic as we navigated the narrow canal home.
Attachments:

Intro-Century Resorter 18 light project 3 weeks 2 days ago #140841

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sweet! Tricky little buggers to back up. I found out that if you just bump it into reverse and then back to neutral so you "coast" back it steers better.

Intro-Century Resorter 18 light project 3 weeks 2 days ago #140844

So, I am very new to inboards and am still somewhat new to boating, though I have done my homework. . The vast majority of my boating experience is in our Chaparral i/o. I am pretty mechanically experienced with silly old cars and other mechanical time sinks though...

At speed, the Resorter becomes very hard to steer beyond say 1.5-2 turns of the wheel, making for wide sweeping turns. I guess that this is normal as of the rudder's control surface is all behind the shaft so there is no 'balance'; I am steering completely against the propwash. Steering is fine at lower speeds and power settings. I can see this as a benefit in that it keeps you out of trouble...high speed, high power and light steering seems dicey. Do I have this right?

I was warned by a friend to never give full power from a stop w/ full rudder deflection in an inboard...not that I would, but this all seems related to my novice mind.

Thanks all.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

1969 Thunderbird Cheyenne
( / Boats)

1969 Thunderbird Cheyenne
09-20-2019