• Page:

TOPIC: thinking of starting my old project

thinking of starting my old project 8 years 1 month ago #119986

• frog
  • frog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I am thinking of working on my 58 rocket,again it has been 3 plus years since I put it into storage. I would like to do something like Cal did to his shell lake. By that I mean a wood deck and interior. And yes big fins. I will have a few questions for you guys to help me with. thanks greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: thinking of starting my old project 8 years 1 month ago #119987

frog,

BEST WISHES on remoding the Rocket!!!

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: thinking of starting my old project 8 years 1 month ago #119992

Hi Greg,
I sent you an E-mail let me know if you want me to take close up pics of anything special on my Rocket. It is not to special now but hope the pics will help you.
I will be watching here because I too would very much like to do a wood deck and interior.
Now look what you started Cal!
Will you be building larger fins for your Rocket?
Gene

Re:thinking of starting my old project 8 years 1 month ago #119994

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Gene, I just like looking at pic of rockets. my deck has some damage to it were the windshield was pushed thru when a roof of the building it was in fell on it. and since nobody wanted it I thought I would try to do some thing different. yes I am planning on big fins. frog

Re:thinking of starting my old project 8 years 1 month ago #120020

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
We're here for ya Greg.

Besides, you can put up a cheap windshield like I did. 1/4" clear stuff sandwiched between some scrap leftover mahogany. Don't throw any small pieces away. Two weeks after I finished the boat I broke the port windshield, cut around the clear silicone edges and slid a new piece in.
The inside cushy seat rails are foam pipe insulation stapled and glued to the wood wrapped with vinyl.
Attachments:

Re:thinking of starting my old project 8 years 1 month ago #120022

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Ironic I was just showing off your boat (and hard work) to my Wife last evening...we both love it. Best wishes Frog for the new project...great to have others that have gone before us offer helpful advice and encouragement!

Dr.Go!

Re:thinking of starting my old project 8 years 1 month ago #120042

Great idea Greg!!!!!!!! It will look fantastic. Send any questions you got we're here for ya!

Bob

Re:thinking of starting my old project 8 years 1 month ago #120056

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
O K guys, here is my first question. can I use 5200 to install a 1 by 2 around the top of the hull ( inside of the hull) so when I start to frame in the deck there will be a solid strutcher (sp)to mount the top frames to. or should I glass it in? the 1 by 2 will be screwed on from the outside also. I am planning on using white oak for the frames as mahogany is very costly up here. any thoughts or better advice. thanks greg

Re:thinking of starting my old project 8 years 1 month ago #120058

frog,

IF it was mine, I would use MDO bedded in peanut butter for everything that doesn't show, as that stuff is cheap & will outlast the hull.
(In my expereince oak isn't the best material around water & it sometimes splinters, if in thin enough pieces to install without a lot of steaming.)

Besides I'm too CHEAP to use the expensive stuff where peanut butter & plywood will work & doesn't show.
(I use a lot of Israeli-made luan 5mm underlayment too, as you can tie that stuff into knots in narrow strips.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:thinking of starting my old project 8 years 1 month ago #120087

Greg,
Your plan is sound if you ask me. The 5200 will not let anything go and screws from the outside help with that. White Oak is just fine, it's been used forever in boats. Century frames, keels, stems and forefoots are all white oak. You should be able to cut all the framing to shape without steam bending except for the 1"x2" going around the inside of the bow area but you might get lucky there. Of course I'm a big fan of solid wood as you can tell. I like it better when using screws. Just my 2 cents.

Cal you can jump in here with what you did.

Bob

Re:thinking of starting my old project 8 years 1 month ago #120093

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Greg, I used solid pieces for the upper edge of the bow area. No bending. Just lined them up where I could get the most board use and cut curves. I did steam the curve on the vertical board. It was an SOB to hold into place.
When I did screw down the deck edge planks I used 5200, screws and where I could reach I through bolted.
All the bling hardware, chocks, cleats etc. are through bolted. Just in case you have to get towed :laugh:
Attachments:

Re:thinking of starting my old project 8 years 1 month ago #120098

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
thanks to all of you, I am thinking of extending the deck back 12 inches , cuz it would look better in my eyes. not planning on using solid mahogany, but mahogany plywood. any help with ideas here. thanks. when I get into this farther I will bring up my old post from 3 years ago. greg

Re:thinking of starting my old project 8 years 1 month ago #120099

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The mahogany plywood sounds like a good idea, much easier than what I did. Shudda went that way myself. Like John Gibson says, Too late, too schmart.

Re:thinking of starting my old project 8 years 1 month ago #120100

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
since I could not sell my 68 duo trihull I am going to use a lot of parts off of it for the rocket , Cal gave it the name of NEVER DONE , so that is what she will be called. I have a real clean 1967 rude big twin 40 hp, and a clean Spartan roller bunk trailer with 13 inch tires, will be using most of the hardware off of the duo. but not the seats as they are kinda a chili red color and are for sale. they have no rips and look like new, when I am done stripping out the duo I will have a new flower pot for the first mate. lol greg

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6322 guests and no members online