Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finally Got Started On The Dorsett

Re:Are These Bilge Pump Holes? 8 years 5 months ago #117215

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Valid concerns on both counts Tim. I would NOT leave the fuel tanks in place and/or use them without a thorough inspection.

I also believe you are correct in that most states do not allow discharge of grey water overboard for any reason, even having the discharge ports in place could result in problems with DNR unless you can prove they are inoperable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re:Are These Bilge Pump Holes? 8 years 5 months ago #117220

You are correct. Black water (i.e. head/toilet) is not allowed to be dumped directly into most lakes and coastal waters in US. Grey water (sinks, showers, etc) may or may not depending on area as i understand it.

Your boat, however, predates that classification which is why it is set up that way. Actually, if it is all original and left that way, the way I once read the regs. said you could keep it, but not an argument I want to have on water with CG!

The tanks can be refurbished, which I would do if you like them and they are worth it. Pull them, take a look at seams (poke at the with awl or screw driver) and the rest of tank to look for soft spots/holes. If solid I'd do a pressure test to confirm, and if still good do a google search for gas tank repair. There are several versions out there for them which basically give you a cleaner to swoosh around in tank and then an epoxy coating that you do the same with. I'd only do it if the basic tank is in good shape though. Of course there are others on here that will disagree!

Either way, good luck and have fun!

Re:Finally Got Started On The Dorsett 8 years 5 months ago #117242

How about holding tanks, like on an RV? Small of course. I could plug up the original drains and just go straight to grey and black holding and then once docked pump out into one of those 40 or 50 gallon mobile tanks. All you guys are right. In today's marine world know one wants to get caught up with violations of any sort. Best to just keep everything contained. The holding tanks could be installed just beneath the deck seeing as how the fuel is in the bulk heads. As for water, well being in fresh water I could pump from outside and filter with a home filtration system. Found a very small (quiet) generator that could be gas fed from on board fuel tanks. Thinking if I were moored or docked I could just use that instead of dock power which I understand is very high.

Just Be!

Re:Finally Got Started On The Dorsett 8 years 5 months ago #117280

Yup plenty of versions out there too - can get most any size to fit for marine - just do search for marine holding tank. My gues is that 5-10 gallons is plenty if have reasonable access to cleanout. My long term plan is to install one either in the front under the v-berth, or under the port side bench in cabin. Most pull water for toilet via through hull.

If water for sink, etc., I guess you could do thru hull with filter. If it had a sink I'd think that there would be a water tank for it somewhere. The Club mariner has a built in 18 gallon, which I'll remove and put in smaller to conserve space.

Don't know how much more expensive dock power would be on that boat, but be very careful with generators, especially in a marina situation. Get some MARINE CO2 detectors for cabin/cockpit area. Regardless of where you put the output to the generator, the exhaust finds its way to the weirdest places. Better safe than sorry.

Springtime is right around the corner! 8 years 2 months ago #119253

Howdy, Springs coming up and I have the interior pretty much torn out. What a mess. The fuel tanks are probably shot, what a waste but I salvaged the sides and door and hatch frames for patterns. What fun. I can hardly wait for warmer weather. Hopefully I can have her in the water this summer.

Whatever the mind can conceive and believe the mind can achieve.
Napolean Hill-Personal Success Writer-Modern New Thought Movement

What I find relaxing. Walking my dog, smoking my pipe on a warm summer morning on my porch, cuddling my wife on Sunday morning, fishing in a place only God can see and...

Re:Finally Got Started On The Dorsett 8 years 2 months ago #119260

Stay with it Tim, you'll have her done in no time.

Bob

Re:Finally Got Started On The Dorsett 8 years 2 months ago #119280

Waterwings wrote:

Stay with it Tim, you'll have her done in no time.

Bob

Looking forward to it. But woke up this morning and it was 11 degrees outside and tonight is 5 below so not taking the tarps off yet. Ha ha. So, what are you up to now, boat wise that is? Later.

Whatever the mind can conceive and believe the mind can achieve.
Napolean Hill-Personal Success Writer-Modern New Thought Movement

What I find relaxing. Walking my dog, smoking my pipe on a warm summer morning on my porch, cuddling my wife on Sunday morning, fishing in a place only God can see and...

Re:Finally Got Started On The Dorsett 8 years 2 months ago #119297

Still plugging away on the Century Resorter.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6876 guests and no members online