Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Larson Lapline All American

Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116752

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Picked this up today after a couple of weeks of trying to decide about a motor for my daughter's Steury restoration. I was able to hear it run, and overall it is in pretty decent shape. It is all original, even down to the Larson Lapline gas tank. The original plan was to take the motor off of the Larson for Alaina's Steury, but her boat is rated for 65hp (the Starflite is 75). Then the plan changed, and the purpose of the Larson was to be a "starter" boat for Alaina to learn to pilot, dock, trailer, etc without worrying about damaging her restored beauty. But now that it's home, I really like it! I think it has a lot more vintage style than the Steury does, and I certainly like the dash better. I don't think I can scrap this thing out! But, I can't redo BOTH boats. There just isn't enough time.
Alaina and I spent quite a bit of time talking and looking at both boats tonight, and she's thinking things over. We haven't invested any $$ into the Steury yet. It is well into the teardown, but not so much time that we couldn't jump ship ;)
We are supposed to have near 70 degree days this week here in WI, and I will drop it in the lake to see how it goes. We never had a chance to do that with the Steury.

Oh, and I got it for $300.

Any opinions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Larson Lapside All American 8 years 5 months ago #116754

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Some pictures of the Steury for comparison...
Attachments:

Re:Larson Lapside All American 8 years 5 months ago #116755

That Larson looks really nice. Great color combo!

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:Larson Lapside All American 8 years 5 months ago #116759

IMHO do the Larson. Certainly looks like a clean and polish restoration from here. As long as the motor performs you've got a boat. Just goes to show that you don't have to spend big bucks to get into the wonderful world of boating. Not sure why folks find it necessary to buy a $100,000 Ski Nautique just to spend some time with family and friends on the water.
Jack

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116760

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it floats and goes once we drop it in the lake this week.

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116766

Hi Dave,
The Larson looks good and complete, sweet deal for 300.
If it runs as good as she looks (wishing you luck) I'd be teaching your daughter in this boat.
Regards, Gene

Re:Larson Lapside All American 8 years 5 months ago #116770

16Again,

WELL SAID.

Fwiw, my old finned ski-boat attracted more admiring attention (IF that's important to you) than any of the new boats.
(When I sold it before going OCONUS the last time, I had the princely sum of about 1300.oo invested in the 1958 boat, 1958 EVINRUDE & the trailer.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116774

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Nice looking Larson there,Drb. I think the Evinrude is a 1965 as I had the same engine on a Crestliner I had. I believe I'd go with the Larson over the Steury also.

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116779

Larsons are beautiful on the water... of course i grew up on one so my opinion may be one sided..lol

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116780

Both potentially nice boats, but ditto on the larson...especiallyas it looks like much less work!!

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116794

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Well, we dropped it in the lake tonight...a bit of a rush due to Day Light Savings. I did notice before we left that the keel is pretty torn up from the trailer. After taking it off and putting it back on tonight I understand why!! The lake we went to is only 4 feet deep so I wasn't too worried if we sank:)
But, it floated just fin, sits nicely in the water, and I tell you what, that Evinrude started right up and purred like a new motor! The electric shift works perfectly, though it certainly takes some getting used to. I kept wanting to go in reverse but just kept going forward slower...I go the hang of it.
We got it up on plane without any issues, but since it was getting dark and it was the first time out, we headed back. Total of about 15 minutes on the water. I am so happy with the motor, and will patch the keel in early spring, then rework the trailer.
Attachments:

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116806

That is a great find! Glad it went so well on the water, enjoy!

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116808

Great looking. Now you can spend more time on the water rather than working on the boat! Great find.

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116812

The smile says it all !!!!!

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116813

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
damartinca wrote:

Great looking. Now you can spend more time on the water rather than working on the boat! Great find.

X2. Performing routine maintenance(buffing,polishing paint work) is more enjoyable than MAJOR reconstruction in my opinion.If you and your daughter want a more major project,you always have the Steury.

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116815

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
She says she really wants to do a restoration, so I think you are all right. We will use the Larson, she can learn to drive, dock, trailer, etc on it, and at the same time, continue the work on the Steury.

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116816

I agree - clean up the Larson and for full restoration, work on the Steury.

That Larson looks so nice on the water, but then I'm partial to blue and white boats! ;)

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116817

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Beautiful find. Good choice. Ditch the steel fuel tank though, it will rust through and plug up your lines. IMHO. Congrats again.

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116837

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
But it's the ORIGINAL fuel tank!!!

Just kidding. I have the plastic one ready to go.

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116846

Good plan!

Bob

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116884

Drb007 wrote:

But it's the ORIGINAL fuel tank!!!

Just kidding. I have the plastic one ready to go.

Well then for authenticity sake.... Take it out, cut a lid and hinge it, line it with foam, and turn it into a cooler, for those hot summer days out on the water.

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116885

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
63 Sabre wrote:

Beautiful find. Good choice. Ditch the steel fuel tank though, it will rust through and plug up your lines. IMHO. Congrats again.

If the tank is clean inside and the outside is also clean, why would it need replacing ? Just asking.

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116888

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I used the plastic gas tank when we went out because I had fresh gas in it. The original tank stinks of bad gas, though I don't see any leaks. The metal tank I took out of the Streury was rusting along the seams on the outside, so I imaging some on the inside too. While I don't see any such issues with the Larson tank, I will take it out and drain it, then inspect it. There are ways to restore these tanks, and I may consider doing so over the winter, as it is cool that is is original with the logo and all. But in the end it isn't worth getting stranded for cosmetics. So, stay tuned...it may live again:)

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116889

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The reason I would advise to not use the steel tank is because when they rust they are compromised. They lose their integrity, are weak in the rusted areas. I have posted two threads on this site. One was how to clean the inside of a steel tank using electrolysis. Took several days, inside looked like a silver whistle but when it was reinstalled rust still plugged up fuel filters and I needed a tow off the water. The second post was just about two weeks ago again with pictures showing what looked like minor rust along the seams, fuel ooozed out into the bilge and luckily I caught it by accident. The "fix" is coating the inside with chemical soup but IMHO being on the water with a "fixed" fuel tank is a recipe for disaster and possible fire. The fix might be good for cars, motorcycles etc. where you can walk away. On the water you don't have that option. Just because it looks cool and is original won't get you home. If you like the looks and originality you can have a new one made to the old specs and graphics are available.
Sorry for the rant but I caution you to err on the side of safety.
Attachments:

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116893

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Great thoughts, and since this is a boat for my daughters (my oldest daughter is looking forward to some boating fun,too) I think you are right...safety first. Thanks for the wisdom.

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116928

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I like both. But it's really great that the Larson was good to go. She looks like a happy boater in that photo!

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116934

A lot depends on the integrity of the tank. I agree with 63 Sabre on a lot of his points, however, I restored 2 tanks 3 years ago AFTER ensuring that all the seams were good and solid and all the metal was thick and sturdy. I removed all the "innards" and then used boiled water and Dawn dish soap, Stuck a length of Chain inside the tank, duct taped all the openings shut as best I could to seal her up, and strapped it to rear wheel of my riding lawn mower. Jacked the mower up and ran it for a while spinning the tank. She came out clean as a whistle. Had em Powder coated on the outside, NO treatment on the inside and been running em for 3 years with no issues. AGAIN they were in very good, structural condition just all gummed up with bad gas on the inside. It's your call, but some of the old tanks can be successfully restored with no issues. Poking on the seams and metal with an AWL should let you know pretty quick if they're worth the effort.

AnyWhoooo that's this Old Dumb Okies opinion and it's worth exactly what you paid for it!!!!! :ohmy:

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116938

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
$10. :unsure:

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116939

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Forgive my ignorant question, but is there a true fuel filter on these outboards, or is the float bowl all that "protects" the carbs from sediment?

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116943

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Drb007 wrote:

Forgive my ignorant question, but is there a true fuel filter on these outboards, or is the float bowl all that "protects" the carbs from sediment?

Actually, the fuel filter is inside the fuel bowl on the fuel pump. It's a little "sak" that pushes up inside the bowl mount.
Attachments:

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #116944

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Not an ignorant question at all...
There is no "filter" per se. I forget which fuel pump you have but if it has a glass bowl hanging down on it there should be a plastic screen/bag that sorta cleans the fuel. If you have a flat fuel pump with a large black disk looking thing on it (large silver screw) there is a fine steel screen in there that can be cleaned. I always add an external fuel filter if I can just for good measure Here's a picture of mine. A fuel/water separator. This pic was taken long ago when I tried saving a steel tank...see background.
Attachments:

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #117089

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Some follow up...Larson Co. emailed me back the next day to confirm this is a 1966 All American. I spent some time (minimal) buffing the deck for some therapy. Nice shine for an old boat! I could probably do more if I had the desire, but this suits me fine for now...it's headed down to the barn for the winter anyway.

Does anyone have any tricks to whiten the rub rail?

I'm tempted to paint it...
Attachments:

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #117096

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Rub rail, I've had some luck with Mr. Clean magic eraser pads, soft scrub, sometimes just bleach. Is it weather checked or just dirty?

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #117127

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Just really dirty. Otherwise it's in good shape. I tried Magic Eraser....didn't do much. I'll try acetone...

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #117137

Yeah acetone should work.

Bob

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #117314

Lacquer thinner, and fine steel wool, like 0000. Acetone can affect the gel-coat.

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #117318

Don't paint it! Automatic 5 points off at an ACBS show if you are to show it. There are lots if products out there to bring back the gelcoat.

Of coursr, you can do what you want, but yours is so nice I'd try to bring it back first.

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 5 months ago #117323

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Sorry for the confusion, the "I'm tempted to paint it" was regarding the rub rail.

However, the boat needs paint. The gel coat is blistered on the bow. Until she has docking and trailering down, we will buff it and keep the patina.

Once she's past the bump and scratch phase, we will paint it up.

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 4 months ago #117402

Wizards finish-cut, or final-cut, To me it works great.

Re:Larson Lapline All American 8 years 4 months ago #117405

• asign
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Try Mold Armor product on the stained rub rail. Removes mold and stains on most surfaces. We used it on the interior of our pontoon that was covered for two years and badly molded. Spray and leave on a few minutes, on the rub rail, wet a strip of towel and let it lay on the rail for 5 min. After removing the stain, treat with the sister product, mold preventor. We get ours at Menards but there are several similar marine proctucts. $6 a bottle, it does contain bleach so cover surfaces that might be affected by bleach.

First, do no harm!
It's a lot easier to buy a boat than sell a boat.(Stole this from a member!)
All that work and hardware store mailbox letters for the hull? Tsk tsk..
Time to create page: 0.363 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6884 guests and no members online