Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1978 Glastron Carlson CVX 20...now the fun begins

1978 Glastron Carlson CVX 20...now the fun begins 8 years 5 months ago #116521

I might as well put this in the right forum and add on from there.

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/the-70-s-disco-fiber/lastest-progect-1978-glastron-carlson-cvx-20

I have a lot of glass cloth and 4 gallon of resin here or coming.

Karsten

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1978 Glastron Carlson CVX 20...now the fun begins 8 years 5 months ago #116550

Excellent Karsten, good plan.

Bob

Re:1978 Glastron Carlson CVX 20...now the fun begins 8 years 4 months ago #117377

Interior trim removed.

In the shed sanding the deck.

Winter stable mates

Karsten

Re:1978 Glastron Carlson CVX 20...now the fun begins 8 years 4 months ago #117380

Grinding out the damaged glass on the deck.

Engine cover is cracked bad on both sides in the same place....Need to figure out why.

Ground out the spider web cracks so as to fill them with glass rather than just fairing compound.

Karsten

Re:1978 Glastron Carlson CVX 20...now the fun begins 8 years 4 months ago #117467

Glassed in all the damaged areas and filled rivet holes in the swim platform.

Karsten

Re:1978 Glastron Carlson CVX 20...now the fun begins 8 years 4 months ago #117495

Great progress!

Bob

Re:1978 Glastron Carlson CVX 20...now the fun begins 8 years 3 months ago #118338

Slowly but getting a little done on the weekends. Haven't had the camera so I will need to get more pic's soon.

Cutting the floor back I found out the center keel stringer is rotten. Looks like a factory defect due to a de laminated section of glass. Not sure what sort of structural support it is being 3/4X7 inch plywood or maybe just to support the center of the floor

Dash has seen better days and will most likely up grade to newer gauges.

Hood is sanded and both cracks repaired. Had to grind out more spider web cracks in the hood and glassed over them.

I also have 3 pounds of custom mixed flake between .015-.025 in a variety of orange/copper tones so it should stand out on the water.

Karsten

Re:1978 Glastron Carlson CVX 20...now the fun begins 8 years 3 months ago #118341

Curious. What is the name for that type of fiber you used to fix those areas. I've used it mixed with resin to create a putty but never to fix an area .

Re:1978 Glastron Carlson CVX 20...now the fun begins 8 years 3 months ago #118342

Re:1978 Glastron Carlson CVX 20...now the fun begins 8 years 2 months ago #118987

Been a little to cold to get much done but the hood is off, sanded and the cracks on both side repaired and reinforced.

I think I might grind back a little more on the cracks and re glass then just for good measure

Found some spiderweb cracks ground them and and glassed over with some .75 ounce cloth almost ready for fairing compound after I get the other side sanded.

A little more cutting to the floor....time for the small circular saw....I figure I will have to replace the center stringer and rear bulkhead for sure.

Going to need a new dash and gauges but until I get both in hand I am not disconnecting any of the mess. Where does one find a Ignition Switch for a boat these days?

Karsten

Re:1978 Glastron Carlson CVX 20...now the fun begins 8 years 2 months ago #119008

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Where does one find a Ignition Switch for a boat these days?

I strongly suggest finding a local (if possible) boat supply Dealer who you can establish a good relationship with. Many times they can be a very valuable source of information and parts such as this. If you can source the original equipment type parts (and can afford them), they often last longer than their "aftermaket" replacements.

That being said, several good sources for parts like that are
www.marineengine.com
www.boats.net
www.iBoats.com

PS - some of the guys on www.forum.cgoamn.com/ are currently working out the cad layout to cut some new dash panels out, not sure if the CVX20 would be included in that or not....might be worth a check ?

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat