Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Glasspar Lido

My Glasspar Lido 8 years 10 months ago #109835

I recently picked up my first boat. Growing up my family had an old jon boat that we used to use to fish, but I haven't been on the water in my own boat for more than a decade.
My wife and I recently acquired a 1961 Glasspar Lido with a Johnson 10 hp, QD18 attached. I realize the the 10 horse is probably too small to meet our needs. I was able to pick up a 1960s Evinrude Lark 40 hp that I'll be hanging on the back over the next few weeks. Any advice as we get the ol' lady ready to hit the water would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Aaron B.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:My Glasspar Lido 8 years 10 months ago #109837

Hi And welcome to the group, looks like you have a good project there. It appears that someone did the home grown fishing boat conversion on it so I guess your first decision is whether or not to turn it back to original or modify it further for your own purposes. The QD18 is actually a 1957 model and should be easy to sell if you choose to do so. The 40hp Lark is a mush better choice for that boat. Keep posting pics as your project moves along
Al

Re:My Glasspar Lido 8 years 10 months ago #109847

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Aaron, glad to have you join us. The gang here is always glad to help, don't be afraid to ask questions. Great project boat, looking forward to seeing you bring it along.

Mark

Re: My Glasspar Lido 8 years 10 months ago #109855

MileHighBoater,

I'd guess that you can sell that 10 horse Johnny for enough to buy the "usual suspects" to restore your BigTwin, using SIERRA parts from your local NAPA parts store.

NICE rig, too.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:My Glasspar Lido 8 years 10 months ago #109870

Aaron, welcome aboard glad to have you join us. Very nice find and I totally agree the 40hp Lark will be a great motor that you will be very happy with and easy to work on. Throw the questions out there and we'll be glad to answer them. Double check the floor and make sure it isn't spongy, also check to make sure the transom isn't soft anywhere before putting on the Lark. Just because the 18hp is on there doesn't necessarily mean the transom is solid.

Bob

Re:My Glasspar Lido 8 years 10 months ago #110108

I picked up a 1962 Evinrude Lark iv 40 hp to swap out with the Johnson. I never realized there was so much that went into the wiring for these motors. I had to buy a selectric control, as the Lark is electric shift and now I need to figure out the rest of the wiring. The Johnson was a pull start so there is only the wiring ran for the accessories (lights, bilge pump, etc.). I guess the first project will be tracking down a junction box and the correct wiring or rigging up something on my own. Wish me luck as I think the better half is going to be running out of patience if I don't get her out on the water soon.

Re:My Glasspar Lido 8 years 10 months ago #110141

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
My last project took almost two years to complete Aaron, patience is definitely a virtue when bringing one of these old gals back to life! LOL

There is some good info on the elec boxes in the JEGO forum recently, should help identify what you're looking for. Good luck and hang in there, it's SO worth it when you're done and on the water.

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat