Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My new Gull and Wacanda

My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109685

I recently purchased 2 new (to me) boats. I have some photos in Glassics Gallery under Two 60s Boats. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The first one to get work is the Wacanda. It is a 14 foot Husky, as far as I can tell. The floorboard has delaminated a bit behind the seats. The floorboard is made of two fiberglass skins with some ribs in-between. I have not figured out how to re-bond the skins to the ribs. The keel has been rubbed off completely at the transom. There are numerous dings and stress cracks and a couple of depressions where the hull contacted the trailer rollers, but the hull is sound. The motor is a '61 Johnson.

To pull the steering wheel I had to drill and tap 2 8-24 holes in the metal so it would let go of the tapered fitting. It was stuck really well. Attached is a photo of both boats once I got them home.

The plan is to have the Wacanda on the water next month! Some things will wait until boating season is over. :silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109687

Tried to upload a photo but it was too wide. Here it is, I hope, in the right size. :)

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109688

Still didn't work.....this should work.....let's hope. :)

Attachments:

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109710

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Nice score(s) 61Wacanda, and welcome aboard!

Mark

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109723

Hi, liked the way you flipped the boat, I really love my Wacanda and glad you liked the photos, the best thing about them is they didn't use wood in the stringers. I will have to flip mine and work on the hull some day but it's fun so far if I can find out the problems with the motor, still dies out in turns and at full throttle, maybe it's carb time, could be the floats or something.

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109724

Even the floorboard has 2 skins of fiberglass and fiberglass ribs in between. I do have a small strip of wood under the front of the motor well on the floor as a stop for something. The glass has worn off of it.

I used up all my image size capability on the Gallery so will see if I can put one here instead. If it works, this is the stern view when they were purchased.
Attachments:

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109725

I added a number of photos to the Gallery page....Two 60s Boats. All of them are about picking them up on the day of purchase. First thing I did before towing them home was repack the wheel bearings, even though I was only going 23 miles.

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109787

Thanks for the comments MarkS. This forum is great. What is really helpful is the work others have done that gives a lot of positive energy to a project.

My photos were too large on the Gallery page so I spent the time to resize them and repost both them and more.

Purchased some resin and glass mat today for the beginning of the work.

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109795

61Wacanda,

WELCOME ABOARD.

LOOKS like nice projects, too.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109810

Thanks satx. This is a great forum.

Glad to be here......... :)

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109827

61Wacanda, welcome aboard, glad you're here. Two good project, should keep you nice and busy.

Bob

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109838

Welcome, a couple of nice finds!

I'm curious about the trailer under the Gull. Do you have any info on it?
Could you post some close ups of the fenders & winch stand?

Thanks

Cheers

Bill

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109879

Bob.....thanks for the welcome :laugh:

Bill........
I will see if I can get some photos posted this weekend on the yellow trailer.

You ask about the fenders.......

They are very creative....sort of a 'redneck' north Idaho adaptation of the word 'fender.' Totally legal and focused on the reuse, renew, recycle type of strategy, some previous owner - likely the one that painted the trailer yellow I suppose - cut semi-tractor tires in half and bolted them to the fender mounts; then painted them yellow and mounted reflectors on the rear. :silly: When I take photos I will get some of the winch area.

Carl

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109948

Creative fenders on the trailer for the Gull. Hopefully in the next few months I will know the makes of each trailer. I am focusing on the Wacanda for the summer. It has the ability to fold in the middle for easier launching and getting back on the trailer. Here are the photos of the fenders and winch system.
Attachments:

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109949

more photos.....
Attachments:

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109950

that was interesting. Hmmmm. I will try this again.

How does one put more than one photo on the reply?
Attachments:

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109951

Last winch photo....
Attachments:

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109967

That trailer is easy to ID, it's a Tee Nee making it one of the most desirable vintage trailers that there is. The fender adaptation is really cool!

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109971

Well, ya sure fooled me, thought I was going to see some stamped steel fenders that I'd never seen before!
Definitely a Tee Nee

Cheers

Bill

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109980

Here are some photos of the trailer that came with the Wacanda...
My small back yard, Wacanda trailer, and the boats.
Attachments:

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109981

Another shot of the Wacanda Trailer.
Attachments:

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109983

The Wacanda Trailer with the knee folded.....

Attachments:

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #109993

Cool stuff. To post more than one pic, once you post your first pic go back into that thread and hit edit then go through the same procedure you did to post the first pic, and so on and so on...

Bob

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #110000

Thanks Bob........that will help immensely!

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #110059

Here are the start photos of what is ahead regarding fiberglass repairs. After I got the boat flipped I went under it to remove the painter eyebolt and look at things. The first photo is what I could see of the keel through a 3inch hole in the floorboards I had to cut to figure out how to fix the delam.

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #110060

Hmmmm....for some reason the photo did not work in the last post. I think my file got goofy in my folder.

Anyone have a good idea as to how to build up the bottom of the keel?

Here is a photo of the keel at the transom. It is pretty much worn through.

Between this type of wear, the thinness of the keel, and other patches that need to be done, it is no wonder as to how the boat leaked.
Attachments:

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #110097

My Wacanda has a wood transom. I just opened the transom to keel area to begin some quick patch work. I found rotten wood approx. 3/4 to 1 inch thick between the fiberglass skins for the transom. My knife is stuck in the wood on the left of the photo. :angry: :S

The wood is pretty soft at the bottom. At the motor well drain holes it is very soft.

Now the question is: Can I use it this summer and fix it later or do I flip it back over, remove the deck, replace the transom, reattach the deck, flip it back over, fix the hull bad spots, and then use it? Ugggghhhh.......
Attachments:

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #110139

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Definitely address the bad transom now. If it fails out on the water it can only turn out badly! Best case scenario you crack some outer skin (causing much more work) but make it back to the ramp. Worse case you loose the whole boat! (And possibly endanger yourself and/or some loved ones or friends!)

Just my two cents, but it's just not worth the risk.

Mark

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #110147

Hi Mark......
Thanks for that reply and good counsel. I am concerned about the same thing. I plan to get some pro help setting a strategy for the repairs in the next few days or a week or so. I may move my efforts to the Gull since this will be a LOT more effort.

I can't take the boats anywhere until the road work on our street is complete. They just poured new curb and will be paving soon.

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 11 months ago #110269

After chatting with a professional that does boat repair here in Northern Idaho it has become clear that repairing the Wacanda is too big a project for me at this time. To do the transom 'right' it means popping the deck and working from the inside of the transom. When I began the project it was assumed that everyone saying the Wacanda was all fiberglass was correct. However, the transom on my Wacanda is plywood and very weak.

So, to make some room and reset my boating directions for this summer we are going to sell the Wacanda and trailer. I have added 3 new tires and a new spare wheel to the system along with a trailer wheel jack for the front of the trailer.

If anyone in the NW wants a GREAT project boat, this is it. At 14 foot it will be a nice little craft with the stability of it's 16 foot big sister.

Once I flip it - tomorrow - I will put it on Glassifieds and Craigslist. Starting price is $800...but we have a little wiggle room at that price.

I also received some great counsel from the Boat pro regarding the Gull and will be looking at beginning that soon. The deck has to be removed, the transom rebuilt, and the hull re-faired.

Re:My new Gull and Wacanda 8 years 9 months ago #111982

My resto projects came to a halt this summer. I was hoping to get about 6 weeks of help which fell through. So, both of my boats on are Glassifieds as well as Craigslist in Spokane region. I am only asking what I have in them which is VERY inexpensive.

I was led to a 'new' boat for use....an '88 Nissan in wonderful condition for the budget we set to restore these 2 boats. We had a tough decision to make...work?....boat?....work?....boat?...Boating won out for this summer. Let me know if you want a GREAT project. For someone good with fiberglass either of my old boats would be a quick fix. (I am not that great with fiberglass......yet)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.315 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)