Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Flybridge core replacement

Flybridge core replacement 9 years 2 weeks ago #107702

Hello all,
Let me give you some background, then my question.
I have a '79 tri-cabin trawler. The flybridge core rotted due to leakage of water. The flybridge floor has been carefully cut away in panels so as to reuse them (budget is extremely tight for this project). The new core is down and I am ready to reset the panels mentioned previously.

Here is my issue/question: because of the previous core material the undersides of the panels had to be ground down to good glass. That made the undersides a bit uneven and inconsistant in thickness. When I lay the panels down it looks like I will need to "bed" them with something that takes up the space, fills in the gap, and supports the areas that would otherwise have airgaps because of the unevenness.

I need an inexpensive idea for this bedding. Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Flybridge core replacement 9 years 2 weeks ago #107721

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Jim, glad to have you join us. Some pics would help understand what you're dealing with there. Right off hand I would probably say mix a large batch of "peanut butter" (resin with filler added) to bed in the panels. That or the "kitty hair" stuff I've seen some of the gang use here would probably be your most economical bet, 3M 5200 would cost you a small fortune to use in large quantities. Just my humble suggestion, others may have much better ideas.

Mark

Re:Flybridge core replacement 9 years 2 weeks ago #107727

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Not an easy question to answer without knowing the size of the panels being replaced or the depth that needs to be filled. It sounds like something that could be filled in the center and sealed on the edges. Air gaps would not matter if proper support is provided. If so, I'd take up much of the space with thin strips of mahogany, white oak or marine plywood (for support) and bed the edges really well with 3M 5200 so that "squoze" appears all along the seams. Fiberglassing the entire area afterward would guarantee watertight integrity. Unfortunately, there's no free lunch when it comes to sealing areas constantly exposed to the elements.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8868 guests and no members online