Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 Cutter

1960 Cutter 9 years 1 month ago #107110

I inherited this Cutter when my Uncle died in December. He basically raised me in the summer time growing up. He never had a lot of money but made sure to always have a boat so we could have a good time. When he passed it was my family that had to go through his estate, all I wanted was his boat.

The looks aren't the greatest, there are a lot of flaws in the fiberglass but seems to be structurally sound. The boat haven't been in the water for close to 3 years now and was not winterized when put away last.

When I got it home in December in the middle of a blizzard I put it next to the garage not to be touched until this passed weekend. I pulled it out and got started working on it. First order of business was to clean out all the leaves and pine needles and doing an inventory on the parts that were inside the boat. There was a 5 gallon bucket of lights, cleats, and misc. parts. Nothing special except a giant attwood bow light.

Once that was done I turned my attention to the engine. I did the usual maintenance items and hoped that it would fire. First crank and it fired but died immediately. Second crank and it stayed running.

VIDEO

I'm probably gonna run it as is for this season. When its time to put it away for winter I'll tear into it. Gotta fix the holes from years of people adding and removing accessories, cracks in the gel coat on top, and scratches in gel coat on bottom.

I do need to find an original stern light for it though. The bow light and cleats are there but a cheap plastic stern light ain't gonna cut it.

My only real question is does anyone have experience restoring a stearing wheel? Mine has some slight yellowing and is dirty but is in pretty good shape otherwise. I love the glitter in it!

Don't know if the speedometer works but I sure hope so. Gonna need some attention here as well.

Oh and there is this too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1960 Cutter 9 years 1 month ago #107130

an acbs friends cutter (Penny Candy) :
Attachments:

Re:1960 Cutter 9 years 1 month ago #107149

Cloons welcome aboard and glad to have you here. Great project, and great story, always good to keep things in the family. I restored our family boat that was my grandfathers as well. Dad bought it when grandpa died, I grew up on that boat also. Plenty of good folks here to help so when you have questions just ask away.

Bob

Re:1960 Cutter 9 years 1 month ago #107174

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Cloons, glad to have you join us. Love the ole Cutters, and that one's definitely worth fixing up especially with the history behind it IMHO. Those buttons on the dash with instructions almost look like he was running an electric shift OMC motor without the controller (with shift buttons) normally used to do so?

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'