• Page:

TOPIC: Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions

Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93407

• cron78
  • cron78's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
OK good folks, which of these pieces of hardware from my glassic doesn't belong? I picked up a Cutter Jet Deville about 15 years ago and am interested in getting started on a resto to get her at least operable...if I can get my two teenage sons to help. She's #100-0460-2412. Her powerplant is a 1958 Johnson 35 Super Seahorse.

Can her vintage be confirmed from the serial to be 1958?

Any idea whether the spot light and horn were offered by Cutter or were they owner add-ons?

What about the stern light?

And that aweful out of place cleat...not original was it?

What am I missing?

Thanks for any input!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93409

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hold on...gotta make the photo smaller..

Re: Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93410

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hopefully this version is small enough to upload.
Attachments:

Re: Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93424

the light,one cleat are defineately volrath. the step pads and chocks might be. the rest is not volrath. volrath made a large bow cleat and smaller stern cleat. looks like you have a stern cleat. the stern light base and lens was v shaped too. these are very rare. i have only seen a couple of them in the last 15 yrs.

Re:Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93479

cron78 wrote:

OK good folks, which of these pieces of hardware from my glassic doesn't belong? I picked up a Cutter Jet Deville about 15 years ago and am interested in getting started on a resto to get her at least operable...if I can get my two teenage sons to help. She's #100-0460-2412. Her powerplant is a 1958 Johnson 35 Super Seahorse.

Can her vintage be confirmed from the serial to be 1958?

Any idea whether the spot light and horn were offered by Cutter or were they owner add-ons?

What about the stern light?

And that aweful out of place cleat...not original was it?

What am I missing?

Thanks for any input!

Here is a pic of mine as she sits unrestored. Its a 1960'ish
SN 100-160-B12. Most of that package of trim looks similar, right down to the horn. Interesting.

Comparing mine and your SN's
100=Model Jet DeVille (Both)
160=Jan 1960 production Month&Year ? 0460=Apr 1960 Production Month&Year?
B12=Bimini Top Serial#12? 2412=Serial#2412?

Interesting that both our boats SN end in 12. I have been trying to figure out the SN sequence of the cutters, but haven't seen a definitive answer yet. Thoughts? I have another thread devoted to the Cutter SN's started.

Attachments:

Re: Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93491

Yup, Light, cleat, and step pads are Vollrath. Rest not. I was VERY fortunate to have just picked up a light and step pads and large cleat. As tall tales mentioned, there is a stern light, the larger cleat is same shape as smaller one. The chock with the hard edge looks like it is also, but other chock looks different?...The light has a space for a pole, but if Vollrath made one, I've never seen it. I have a picture of stern light somewhere, but can see ad for it in fiberglassics library. They also made steering wheels, a couple on ebay right now...

Link to library...scroll down to 1958, click on ad....

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Vollrath

Re: Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93524

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the input. In reviewing other threads, I found one that mentioned the higher edge on the bow (3" or so for the '59+ and much lower for the '58) so I'm inclined to agree on the vintage as '59 or older. The '60 could make sense with the serial #.

On mine, the Volrath cleat (apparently a stern cleat) was mounted front/center on the bow and the spot light was on the driver's side in front of the windshield. Horn was centerd behind the cleat. I dont see any holes for Volrath stern cleats on the stern, though. That's where the one out of place cleat was when I got her.

She has a Nautalloy Aquabird steering wheel that I want to restore. the Aquabird glass cap is in great shape, the chrome is pitted, though.

The step pads are original with the Cutter script name and in good shape. I am apprehensive in using them, though, I think they are brittle and could be damaged easily of they actually were stepped.

Anyone know if the aluminum transom plate would have been original?

Anyone know what the original fasteners were to hold the stern access to the below deck was...and have you seen any available?

I know; long post...sorry.

Thanks...great forum!

Re: Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93538

Take a look at the post below about step pads. May be able to make repo's for yourself...I will probably try with mine also although looks a little pricey.

Besides, we all need MORE projects, right?!

Re: Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93789

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bart,

Another similarity in our boats is the single Vollrath cleat I see centered on the bow and the chock(s) on each side of the bow. Is your cleat the smaller version, too, or the larger bow version? What does yours have for cleat(s) on the stern, if any?

Here's mine as it sat when I found her about 20 years ago. She's in a million pieces today...definitely a project. Unfortunately, I can't find the photos of the interior I took way back then, including the seats apart and on the ground; all were to be for future reference. Got any photos of your Deville's interior and is it original?

Thanks,

Attachments:

Re: Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93790

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
BTW, originally red on white. Previous owner painted her topside the dark green. Painted the gold parts of the Super Seahorse the same green. I gotta deal with both...

Re:Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93814

yes the 59 had a thicker deck up front,and do you have a pic of the stern the 59 had a hatch,i will see if i can find a pic of mine i sold to shipster.i think he wants to sell it and the 59 golden jubbilee 35 hp.its still here.
by the way it says 1957 on the windshield but it is a 59,john
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93853

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yes, John, mine has the rear hatch. I mentioned above that I need the hardware for the hatch (although I didn't actually call it a hatch...the word "hatch" was right on the tip of my tongue/mind but I couldn't spit it out at the time). I've seen the stern photo of "Jag's" nice restored blue Deville and wonder what the hatch hardware is on it. That is what I would love to find...if it still exists out there somewhere. Otherwise a close facsimile will have to do.

BTW, it's a pleasure to correspond with you. Over the past couple weeks I've been through most of the 202 pages of forums and you stand out as an awesome guy. Proud to know you.

Re:Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93854

I, also would like to find some hardware that's close to the original for the rear hatch on my Jet Deville. There's some rusty home hardware latches on it now. Yuck!
My boat does have the Volrath step plates, but the white plastic inserts are completely degraded. Anybody here fabricate some new ones? I am thinking about making some out of Starboard. Won't be real original looking but will work.
Larry

Re:Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93872

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sailor,

My step pads are in great shape other then being brittle and micro-cracked. They might be good candidates for a model to cast new ones from.

My first idea, however, is to contact a friend from high school days that is the dean for a local state college tech program. They have a 3D printer that I want to learn more about. I'm thinking that once they have a 3D model in the computer that they could "print" these things out indefinitely. I'll keep you posted on the feasibility of this idea. If he or one of his instructors are interested in this as a practical learning opportunity for the students, I'll be able to determine a cost. Wish me (us) luck.

BTW, just noticed the "Vollrath Stainless Steel" stamped on the pad covers.

Attachments:

Re:Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93877

thanks cron,its a great pleasure to meet you.
i have a vollrath stern light,but its just the globe part,it needs a staff and base. origanal steering wheel but to far gone to save it,but i have the center cap,a little crazed.
Attachments:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93890

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John,

If that wheel can't be revitalized by someone with your skills, then I guess it really is in bad shape. Now, my original wheel was too far gone. Luckily, the center cap is in good shape.

By Vollrath stern light, do you mean the "Cutter V" version designed by Brooks Stevens? Those are cool, but apparently quite rare. Would like to see a photo if you have one...

Attachments:

Re:Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93919

hi cron, here it is,it needs a good cleaning,lol.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 9 years 11 months ago #93937

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks, John. Now I can say I've seen one...other than in the 1958 adverts in the library. Take care of it and let me know if you ever get tired of it.

Re:Cutter Vollrath Hardware Questions 4 years 11 months ago #139483

Mine does not say "Cutter", but instead has the Vollrath "Vee" logo.

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)