• Page:

TOPIC: Leaning boats

Leaning boats 14 years 2 months ago #901

• Tomahawk
  • Tomahawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
This came up in another thread and I have been curious about it.

I have 14' boat and I understand why it would tip when not on plane. I don't understand why it wants to tip even when i am running pretty fast 25-40. At the transom it is flat and I would think that would tend to force the boat level.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Leaning boats 14 years 2 months ago #903

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Think of it this way. It's true the water force is greater when going fast BUT if it's equal on both sides then it is still the differential or added force to one side that will tip it, there is no coressponding force to balance on the other side. The tipping effect is less at speed because in proprtion to the increased force due to speed the tipping out of balance force is smaller as a percentage.
I would look into prop torque, raising the motor or tilting up one pin notch might help. Obviously, weight distribution is a factor, slide around on the front seat and see if the boat levels. Maybe you can move the battery or tanks. Note tank weight changes battery weight does not. it might be you should be steering from the other side of the boat, not a nice option for sure. If really annoying a trim tab or wedge on one side might help too.
I don't know what motor you have but the direct reverse Mercs and most shifting motors of any make torque the boat in different directions due to opposite prop rotation. tipping may be compounded by this if driver weight is not opposite the torque direction. Also the hull shapes are not that sophistcated on the older boats like strakes and reverse chines etc. that tend to help balance the boat better.
My 2 cents,
Randy

Re:Leaning boats 14 years 2 months ago #906

Tomahawk: Are you talking about the Tomahawk Boat shown in your profile? I am running two Tomahawks, a 1956 and a 1958 and am working on a third. Could you describe your tipping concern? What direction, how much, why is it a problem.

Tomahawk boats have some very interesting inconsistency.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin

Re:Leaning boats 14 years 2 months ago #925

• Tomahawk
  • Tomahawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Yes it is my skimate.

Tends to lean to starboard (where the fat boy sits). I do have the gas opposite me. It isn't a huge problem but I would like to understand it. I think it can be impacted by trim. But I can't adjust on the fly so hard to tell if that would fix it. For pulling skiers I have to leave it in one location or I get poor results.

Re:Leaning boats 14 years 2 months ago #932

Since your boat is light with a narrow beam, it's going to lean anytime the load inside the boat is off center. Even new boats that are heavier & larger do this to some degree. Another large factor is that your boat has a shallow draft and is quite flat. a deep V boat has much more surface area for the water to "push" the hull toward center. The only vintage boat I've ever owned that doesn't tip much, is my skagit skimaster. But that boat has an 80" beam & was designed to track well with Skiiers in tow. By today's standards though, it is a horrible performer.

Re:Leaning boats 14 years 2 months ago #934

My dog who weights in at 40-50 lbs crosses from one side to another you notice the slight tip and change of direction much the same as crosswinds. Is it a slight tip or something that scares anybody? Sometimes its just what a small or narrow boat does.
Attachments:

Re:Leaning boats 14 years 2 months ago #936

well...I hate to say this, but adding a set of trim tabs would resolve allot of the dogs issues with the boat...

yes I have heard of some really old trim tabs that use hydraulic hand pumps to operate them, just in case your trying to keep her in the era.

but...now that sounds like a somewhat simple end to the problem, where as working it would be a bit...let say a hand full, as the dog moves...you would have to readjust the trim...then he would move again...and yet again you would have to readjust the trim...and operate the motor...and steer....

a simpler fix?

mount a D-ring to the floor , preferable in the middle center where you would like him to "stay", run a leash through the D-ring from him to your seat, when he is being "good" you can give him a little slack...when you need him to stay put..just pull his leash and he will return to the D-ring, with the leash also use the the quick snap for if you hit something he won't get hung on his leash, instead it will snap apart.

George (my dog) weights 30 pounds, and it worked wonders for him in a canoe.

Re:Leaning boats 14 years 2 months ago #949

To get my dog Babe to sit still would require me to shoot her. She is like a bouncing ball when the boat is going. She is a barrel of fun. Even the geese in the pic below. She wanted them but she will not leave the boat till I tell her.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)