• Page:

TOPIC: Motor tuneup

Motor tuneup 14 years 2 months ago #866

• emosun
  • emosun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all , first would like to say I love the new site. Will hafta get used to it.

Next. I just bought a 1957 evinrude fastwin 18hp and am wondering , What are some easy things I can do as far as tuneups over the winter to ensure it's ready for summer? Keeping in mind I only have basic tools and an extremely limited knowledge on motors.

I was thinking maybe there's some really easy filters to change or maybe spark plugs , ect?

Also an off topic question. Why is there a line for fuel and one for air? Just wondering what that's all about.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Motor tuneup 14 years 2 months ago #868

Well number 1 that motor doesn't have a fuel pump and uses a 2 hose tank. The air line goes to the tank to pressureise it to push fuel up to the carb. Some people don't like the setup but it works great. If you don't have the tank post a want add or one.
To winterize it pull the plugs and spray fogging oil in each cyc or you can use WD40. Check the oil in the lower unit and is it look milky drain it and leave it emty or refill it. Vary simple motor but good ones
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Motor tuneup 14 years 2 months ago #869

• emosun
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the reply! I do have the fuel tank for it I was just wondering about the hoses.

As far as winterizing I don't know if I need to do that or not as it currently is just in my warm basement? I was more or less wondering what kind of maintenance I can do to it to ensure it'll run smoothly.

Re:Motor tuneup 14 years 2 months ago #870

The 18hp Fastwin is one of the best motors made. It puts out lots of power for it's size and it doesn't weigh that much. In addition to the things you have already been advised of Things to look for are cracked ignition coils and dried out water pump impellers. The coils can easily be checked by removing the recoil assembly and the inspection plate on top of the flywheel. Look through the hole in the flywheel and see if the coils are cracked if they are replacement is fairly easy. You will need a flywheel puller (I bought a harmonic balancer puller and the correct size bolts that fit into the flywheel) and a few screwdrivers. Getting the flywheel off is easy just run the bolts through the puller into the flywheel evenly about 1/3" down then tighten the puller bolt until the flywheel pops up. Once you get the flywheel off it is obvious how the coils come off and on. If you are lucky and the coils are good just check the point gap .020 and you should have spark. To check the impeller you will need to drop the LU. simply remover the small cover on the tower and remove the lower bolt in the shift rod linkage. Undo the bolts holding the LU on 4 small and 1 large (the last one you undo) then pull sharply down. The impeller housing is then self explanatory as to taking it apart. If it is nice and pliable re use it if it is stuck in a shape replace it then reverse the dissassembly process. You will need a pressure tank which you should easily find at an AOMCI meet or on ebay. The fuel mix is 24:1 and ethanol free fuel is best.
Al
Attachments:

Re:Motor tuneup 14 years 2 months ago #872

Also if you want to change the motor as to use a single hose tank (Cheaper and easy to find) It is not a hard thing to do and not very costly. You can order the adapter plate from Frank Robb (on the AOMCI site) and the fuel pump can be order from your OMC dealer, or a NAPA..BTW the coils and water pump can also be order from NAPA

CAVU

Re:Motor tuneup 14 years 2 months ago #873

• emosun
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks guys! Also , I was playing with the umm "thing" that transfers the movement of the throttle controls to the carb and it felt kinda stiff , the little carb pieces also feel just a tad sticky , is it ok to use wd40 to loosen up all these pieces?

I also noticed that at (what it considers full throttle) That the throttle on the carb can actually move/open a lot farther then what the controls move it , is that normal?

Re:Motor tuneup 14 years 2 months ago #876

What changes speed on the small outboard more then anything is the advancing of the timing. This is normal.

WD-30 may help mainly by cleaning off some gunk, however it will evaporate and leave some lube behind. It may be best to R&R the carb and clean it

give me time and I will find my explosed views of the carb

CAVU

Re:Motor tuneup 14 years 2 months ago #877

Those little fleetforms are pretty cool. I'm wondering how much you weigh, and do you have to sit in the middle of the seat to get it to ride level when underway.

Post a few full sized pix of that little boat here please!

Also, with the engine off & shifted in FORWARD is the way to see that the throttle is opening up all the way. There is a speed/throttle limit that engages when the engine is in neutral or reverse. Don't make the mistake of forcing the shift lever when the engine is not runing, as you can damage the shift fork in the lower unit. If it doesn't slip into gear move the flywheel a little bit with the pull rope 'till it does. The carburator butterfly should be all the way open at full throttle.

Re:Motor tuneup 14 years 2 months ago #878

CAVU

Re:Motor tuneup 14 years 2 months ago #879

The Throttle will only advance the mag to the full advance position and open the carb all the way when the motor is in forward gear. The throttle travel is limited in neutral to prevent over revving. I'm glad you have the pressure tank they are extremely reliable and keep the motor original. WD40 is fine to lube up sticky throttle parts and with use they stay free. Unless fuel has been left to go bad in the carb it is unlikely that it needs anything except a bit of adjustment to work just fine.

Re:Motor tuneup 14 years 2 months ago #881

Two thing you will need to do. First the float in the tank ...If it is made of cork, you will need to take the tank apart and do some repair. You will need to dry out the cork ( i leave mine on the dash of my truck in a small bowl as to let the sun bake it dyr) and then lightly sand it. You will need some "Fuel Proof Model Airplane Dope" (Can be bought at a hobby shop) and paint it with 2 to 3 coats

Then you need to check to see if the carb float is also still cork..if so you will need to do the same with it

CAVU

Re:Motor tuneup 14 years 2 months ago #892

• emosun
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for all the pictures! Will definitely help me out with fixing it.

I did already see that the shifter when in different gears prevents certian speeds. But I mean when In forward and at full throttle the carb itself can still be opened more then that actual controls would allow. I don't know maybe it suppose to be that way :).

Bruce Gerard wrote:

Those little fleetforms are pretty cool. I'm wondering how much you weigh, and do you have to sit in the middle of the seat to get it to ride level when underway.

Post a few full sized pix of that little boat here please!

I'm fairly light but when I'm by myself yes I gotta sit in the middle or it looks kinda funny leaning to one side . With two people though it's fine. It is just an itty bitty boat. It can comfortably seat just two people , one in front and one in back. But in a pinch can physically fit four.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7414 guests and one member online