• Page:

TOPIC: This cold has got to stop!

This cold has got to stop! 14 years 2 months ago #732

• Heather
  • Heather's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I am using the propane grill for heat in the wood shop! How crazy is that! If any one sees spring, Tell it I am looking for it.

Guess I could throw some chops on there while I am at it. :laugh:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:This cold has got to stop! 14 years 2 months ago #733

Gee, I feel so bad for you Heather. It's about 50 in my basement shop, and I don't have any heat. Plus it's my basement. What I wouldn't give to have a detached shop to work on my boat year-round. Oh well.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:This cold has got to stop! 14 years 2 months ago #734

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Frank, That's the wood shop. Only insulated on one wall. Just never got around to to the rest. That may get done this summer.

My big problem is my main shop. It's a 40x50 pole barn type shop. No insulation at all. I have a customers boat in there that's to be finished by the end of the month and I can't do any of the work i need to do till it gets into the mid 60's minimum.

I guess it's crazy but in the south we don't insulate everything as we should becasue the weather is always mild in the winter. But this year... MY GOD, GEZZZZZZZZz! this year has just been crazy. I can't remember such a prolonged and cold wet winter in 35 years I have lived here in Alabama. We are only about 170 miles from the Gulf of Mexico Go figure? :blink:
Attachments:

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:This cold has got to stop! 14 years 2 months ago #738

Welcome from Sunny Western Pennsylvania.
Attachments:

Re:This cold has got to stop! 14 years 2 months ago #739

Global Warming

Re:This cold has got to stop! 14 years 2 months ago #740

Well, as I told collegues in Pittsburgh and DC today, I am moving north when I retire, back to where I came from, in order to avoid the winter. 2.5' at the DC Navy Yard and more on the way tonight. Here in upstate NY I look out my office window...to bare grass. No more than 10" the entire winter so far. Bizarre. I did get 200 gallons of fuel oil today....$603. It IS winter.

Re:This cold has got to stop! 14 years 2 months ago #742

WOW ! , What I'd give for a workshop with a roof ! Fortunately its warm here and it does have water views .

Cheers , Steve
Attachments:

Re:This cold has got to stop! 14 years 2 months ago #802

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well thanks for the thought. But I feel for you guys up north WOW!
My Husband is in NJ right now and he said they are getting hammered.

I got off my bum and went to the Depot today and got a heater for the shop. Works much better than the BBQ grill... LOL got it up to 70 in about 2 Hrs on high and holding it there now on 2 bricks....
I know I am cheep... LOL but at last I can work in the wood shop now. If I only had some way to heat the main shop I would be in hog heaven.
Attachments:

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:This cold has got to stop! 14 years 2 months ago #804

I thought about installing heat in the hanger, however for the few days that I would need it I have not. I am leaning more to installing AC, however I do most of the work (Sanding, painting glassing ,and oil changes) in the old tractor barn and it would be next impossible to heat or cool, for it was built in 1948 and when the wind blows the air exchange is very fast

However we are looking at our 5th big freeze (below 30 degrees and last a full day is call a big freeze here) this year...strange being that we had only one last year and none the 3 years before

get near or below 28 degrees and no one wants to go to work

Allan

CAVU

Re:This cold has got to stop! 14 years 2 months ago #805

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Umm Is that your Stearman? Next time your in Alabama look me up. It's been about 10 years since I had time in one. I sold the Clip Wing Pitts last year and am looking for a Christine Eagle II. Need the right price however.

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:This cold has got to stop! 14 years 2 months ago #806

Yes and it's for sale for the right price. It was a duster when I first flew her. I move up in the world, but when the dusting Co that I worked for was selling out I wanted my bird.

I had to move down in the world a few steps and sold the Co's Citation III and bought a Commander 1000.

Not as fast however a lot cheaper to maintain and fly, and I can land the commander on old family's farm landing strip and not have to pay airport hanger rent.

The PT is a fuel hog. I do not do cross country in her anymore $$$ she is great for fall and spring type days to do some low level flying and river running

BTW I have Piper J 4 for sale

Planes take too long to get to play with, and every thing is going up way (more way then one) too fast

CAVU

Re:This cold has got to stop! 14 years 2 months ago #812

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Heather, I know we shouldn't complain, but I agree! (The poor folks up north are getting hammered again and again with record snowfalls). It just seems like this winter is dragging on FOREVER. Just watched the Weather Channel and more rain (and 70% chance of SNOW Friday) headed our way, temps not going up for at least the next week. :angry:

Mark

Re:This cold has got to stop! 14 years 2 months ago #875

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I know, I went to town again today and got insulation and drywall for the wood shop. I have got to finish this project by the end of next week and need to get the temps up in there to cure all this fiberglassed wood for his bass boat.. They are saying we could see 7" of snow in the morning. That will be almost as much as we got in the blizzard of 1993.
Attachments:

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:This cold has got to stop! 14 years 2 months ago #880

We just suffered through the warmest January in history in Washington State. Also worried about not enough snow in the mountains. Life can be a bitch. Clint :laugh: :woohoo:

Re:This cold has got to stop! 14 years 2 months ago #882

I'm glad you got a nice heater for the wood shop. At least it will be cozy in there when working on projects.
Hang in there each day is closer to spring!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7501 guests and 4 members online