Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: SEA KING MOTOR ?

SEA KING MOTOR ? 14 years 2 months ago #675

I have come across a late 60s seaking 45hp outboard, that i think i can get for a reasonable price. My question is does anyone know about these motors, are they reliable, can i get parts for it,etc...? Owner says it runs and shifts good. But i sure dont wana get stuck on the lake LOL
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:SEA KING MOTOR ? 14 years 2 months ago #678

The Late 60's Sea King motors were made by Chrysler. Not the most reliable motors of the era and becoming VERY difficult to get parts for. If you are not able to work on the motor yourself you may find that most shops will not work on them. IMHO you would be a lot better off with a Merc or a similar size OMC just make sure the model you get does not have the electric shift.

Re:SEA KING MOTOR ? 14 years 2 months ago #969

Chrysler took over the Sea King line in 64.
I believe the serial number designator for the Chrysler's began with VWB.

I bought one similar to the one I have advertised in Glassifieds.
That motor was made in 64. I never had a problem with it. Wait, that is not entirely true. Did have difficulty getting the linkage for the starting limiter perfect. The limiter won't allow the motor to start in gear. Try as I might, just couldn't get things to line up right. Took the limiter off, always made sure neutral was positive and shazamm! Problem solved. The motor always started right up electrically, unless the battery was getting weak: A pull start rectified that.
Chrysler did place an alternator on the 50 hp motor, but not sure if they did on the later 45's. Parts are still available, thru various online vendors, tho I can't post you any links at the moment. Laings comes to mind.

The only difficultly I had in finding a part was props.
The earlier Chrysler SeaKings, and perhaps the trend continued into later years, used an 11/16 prop shaft with a pin drive: a 1/16" smaller than the OMC's of the era.
Rod B sent me some info on props made by Michigan wheel and others.
I may still have that info floating around on a hard drive.
He may have it as well.
Once in a very great while I would see a prop that would work turn up on ebay. I eventually found a couple at our local outboard guru's shop.

I do know NAPA does have some parts for the motor.
I was able to acquire an impeller, spark plugs, and prop nut cone thru them.
Also, was able to find an owners, and parts manual on ebay.
I do know where my owners manual is, but can't for the life of me remember where I stuffed the parts book.

Personally, I kind of liked the little motor.
I had it mounted on my 60 Glasspar G3 for awhile.
She wouldn't push it very fast, but never stranded me either.
Chrysler does not have the best rep out there.
I think some of the opinions are unfounded.

Re:SEA KING MOTOR ? 14 years 2 months ago #974

Now this is just ma however if it is a Chrysler built motor I would walk away from it. Sometimes a good price will cost more in the long run

There are the model #s for Chrysler built Sea King

www.discount-marine-parts.com/ob_sea_king_chrysler_model.html

CAVU

Re:SEA KING MOTOR ? 14 years 2 months ago #975

truth be told,
the same could be told of a mercury, omc, etc.

as anyone will attest with these vintage motors:
sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't

Re:SEA KING MOTOR ? 14 years 2 months ago #981

TallTexan wrote:

Now this is just ma however if it is a Chrysler built motor I would walk away from it. Sometimes a good price will cost more in the long run

There are the model #s for Chrysler built Sea King

www.discount-marine-parts.com/ob_sea_king_chrysler_model.html

Why is it everyone hates Chryslers? lol.. I've ALWAYS had good luck with them. If I drag one up that doesn't run, it's always as simple as replacing the electronic box and away we go. I love Mercurys, but let me start counting up how many I have laying around here that have no compression on the top cylinder. lol
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:SEA KING MOTOR ? 14 years 2 months ago #992

boat_geek wrote:

truth be told,
the same could be told of a mercury, omc, etc.

as anyone will attest with these vintage motors:
sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't

With now over 200. (And still cannot pass one if the price is right) antique and vintage (and about 75 are running the others I have not had time to get to) motors, The one that I have problems finding parts for is THE Chrysler. I have a Chrysler/Sea King that runs like a top ...after you get ti started and warmed up, however I have many Gale/Sea Kings and 2 Evinrude/Sea Kings that run great and starts without the use of the "mechanic in the can," and I will use them for I know I can get parts for them.

I have many Merc/Wizards and Merc. Parts are not too hard to find.
I have 6 champions....Now talk about finding Parts..They can be bought However I have no problems with needing parts yet for they keep on going,and going; and what I love about the champions is their sound, and the fact that even on the coldest dampest day that I went to start one (duck hunting) it started after 3 pulls, and that was after sitting for months

Allan

CAVU

Re:SEA KING MOTOR ? 14 years 2 months ago #994

I found that the motor it is a 50hp chrysler made sea king, its on a seaking boat at a towing yard. I know the guy and i might be able to get it for $150 or so. He said it does run and shift(dont no how good tho) I wanted to set up the steering with a single cable instead of the pullys, can this be done easily with this motor.

Re:SEA KING MOTOR ? 14 years 2 months ago #1061

Do you have any West Bend made inline 4, 80s? The one with 4 sets of points under the flywheel?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)