Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Glasspar HIN code

Glasspar HIN code 13 years 10 months ago #6181

I just picked up a 16' Glasspar Citation. The title list the year "UK" unknown. The HIN # Is CFZ0557A0000F.
I'm guessing early to mid 60's. It had the fold down rear seats, but someone made them fixed seats.
Does anyone know the hin code, and know if the folding seat hardware is available?
Thanks Darb.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Glasspar HIN code 13 years 10 months ago #6183

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The number you give is one generated by the state not by the factory. No information contained in it, just an ID number. The factory serial number would have been pretty much where the controls for the outboard would be mounted IF they and the steering were mounted on the other side of the boat. Chrome plated Glasspar plate with a window across the bottom containing a hand stamped brass insert...the inserts quite often have fallen out over the years. Serial number for your Citation would be something along the lines of 16XA0123 or 16XN1123...first would be a 1960 build date from the Santa Ana, CA plant and second would be a 1961 build date from the Nashville, TN plant. Also plants in Olympia, WA..Petersburg, VA..Sherman, TX. first 2 number are length in feet (16), next is model designation(X), next is plant designation (A, N, O, N, P, S), next is last digit of the year built (0 or 1), the rest is build order (123 would be 123rd Citation built in that plant in that year).
The Citation design you have was used only in 1960 and 1961. 1960 was the first year for the Citation and the fold-up seating went away in 1962 model. Pins it down a little bit. I'm not aware of any difference in the '60 and '61 models that would ID the year visually. Hardware could be fabricated or salvaged from another Citation. Glasspar was purchased by Larson Industries in 1966 and Genmar bought Larson later on. Genmar still holds the rights to the Glasspar name but hasn't built anything under that name since the late 1970's. No new parts available from that source.

Re:Glasspar HIN code 13 years 10 months ago #6206

Thank you Rod. I thought the state would look at the plaque, but may be they don't have the code either. The plaque is mounted on the port side close to the dash.
#16CA1275 is blue and white. I have another one that is red and white, #16CA0600. So I guess blue is a '61 and red is a '60, even if the state has it listed a '61. The red one has the fold up hardware, so I can work from that. The hulls are identical.
Thanks again, Darb.

Re:Glasspar HIN code 13 years 10 months ago #6241

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Glad the information helped you with the year ID. I'm kind of surprised to see a 'C' designation on a 1960 rather than 'X' so I learned something, too. The 1960 Citation I have now that my grandfather bought new had the 'X' when the brass insert was still in place. It also had a bench rear seat which is not very common. I had thought the 'X' was the standard for at least the 1960 model year before now.

Re:Glasspar HIN code 13 years 10 months ago #6637

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey- That's my boat!!

I'm restoring a 1960 citation. You can see it here... www.agott.com/glasspar

Though I am a bit farther along than that, I just haven't updated the page.

I bought all my folding seat hardware from a 'donor' boat that was headed to the dump- I lucked out on that one. I was going to have to fabricate it all, which would have been a major pain!

-Andrew

Re:Glasspar HIN code 13 years 10 months ago #6644

I saw your spot about a week or so ago. I haven't dug into this puppy yet, but I don't think that I will go as far as you did. I have another one that is red and white, same year, that is in better shape, in some areas.
I also have a '64 Super G that is about ready for a test run.
Darb

Re:Glasspar HIN code 13 years 10 months ago #6874

I have just purchased a 60 or 61 Citation that at first glance appears to be in good shape. It is blue/white with a heavy sort of wierd flower pattern to the seats. Have not pulled it out of this guys garage yet. From what I can see so far the floor is solid as is the transom. Does anyone out there have a 'bow on' photo of their boat?
All the seats seem to be intact with the orig. up. - not sure just what I should be looking for - any help appreciated.
Dick

Re:Glasspar HIN code 13 years 10 months ago #6878

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Slight angle but at least it's somewhat bow on. 1960 Citation.
Attachments:

Re:Glasspar HIN code 13 years 10 months ago #6899

Thanks for the bow on photo - just what I was looking for. My bow light is placed right at the very tip of the bow - right in between the alum. bow piece - I may want to mount a different one further back like in your photo.

Re:Glasspar HIN code 13 years 10 months ago #6963

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here's another- Also at an angle, though. It's my boat before I started taking things apart.
Attachments:

Re:Glasspar HIN code 13 years 10 months ago #7013

You might want to think about moving the bow light. Some one removed a bow light or some thing from this '60 Citation and left the holes.
Darb
Attachments:

Re:Glasspar HIN code 13 years 10 months ago #7014

Rod, Do you know of any'60-61 Citations in your area that have the folding seat hardware that could be salvaged? I also need 2 " Citation" emblems, that go on the out side of the hull.
I'm not too far from you, Golden Valley (N. Reno), and it's a great drive to your area.
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Darb
Attachments:

Re:Glasspar HIN code 13 years 10 months ago #7301

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Emailed you Wednesday and it was returned today so guess I'll post instead. No Citations in the area that I know of besides mine. Not much of anything else, either. 7 Glasspars in Greenville and 6 of them are mine as best I can tell. I don't have a line on any CITATION castings but if I find some I'll let you know...after I replace the broken one on mine.
Agree with the comment on the drive. I make the trip to Reno and back maybe 5-6 times a year and the drive isn't bad at all. Lots of variety for a 100 mile one way drive.

Re:Glasspar HIN code 13 years 10 months ago #7428

Thanks Rod, I don't know what is going on with my email, some I get and others don't come through.
I talked to a guy today that might have the Citation and Glasspar emblems.
I'll let you know.
Darb

Re:Glasspar HIN code 13 years 10 months ago #7432

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
If you can't find the Citation emblems, I can probably make a mold and casting from mine... They'd be resin, not pot metal, though...

I have some extra 'Glasspar' emblems laying around, as well as some builders ID plates, too.

Glasspar HIN code 4 years 7 months ago #140464

I have a late 50's early 60's sport lido and I'm trying to nail down what year it is. The only numbers I have found are stamped on a washer under the splashwell 1458008. I know it is roughly 14' long so the 1 and 4 make sense. Am I safe to assume that 5 8 would be the year and make this a 1958? I have found a lot of different pictures claiming to be a 58'. As you can see it has the fiberglass wings in the cabin and step through design and I do have a splashwell. The motor is a 1958 Johnson 35 and I believe is the factory motor. So it would make sense that the boat is a 1958.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)