Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Best method to remove transom drain tube....

Best method to remove transom drain tube.... 13 years 11 months ago #5409

actually its in the splashwell of the Funliner. The brass tube crimped on both ends. Is there a good method to remove one without doing peripheral damage to the boat? I no longer own the boat but am helping the new owner remove the splashwell so he can replace a broken steering pulley way up in the corner of the transom. Afterwards could use some guidance in putting in a new tube. There's a tool for that right? Many thanks

Bob C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Best method to remove transom drain tube.... 13 years 11 months ago #5410

• webmaster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I use a flathead screwdriver or chisel, tap one side inward until it folds in, then do it a few more times around the tube until the bent flanges will fit through the hole. Then, tap it through the hole.

Hope that made sense.

New tubes, there's a tool for that. I'm sure someone here has a picture of one. You can make one yourself if you need to.

Re:Best method to remove transom drain tube.... 13 years 11 months ago #5638

That's exactly the way i do it kelly. A cheap wood chisle works the best, as it is sharp & thin. Hold the blade flat against the fiberglass with the chisle end working against & under the brass flange. Tap lightly - the flange will cut off, or the tube will collapse. Sometimes both happens. the tube can be carefully pushed out the other side using an old socket of a diameter close to the tube. Tap the socket lightly with a hammer & it will push out.

Re:Best method to remove transom drain tube.... 13 years 11 months ago #5741

Thanks guys, it worked out perfectly.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6571 guests and 2 members online