Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Putting a value to a motor and boat?

Putting a value to a motor and boat? 13 years 11 months ago #5368

I am trying to put a value on my 1963 Johnson 40 horsepower outboard motor, because i am considering selling it. It is in perfect running condition all original no rust or corrosion at all on the motor, runs very strong and I’ve had it on the lake a couple of times. It also has electromagnetic shifting and operates perfectly fine. I have a 1963 Arkansas traveler boat that originally came with the motor as well, and it is currently under going a rebuild, I have redone all of the seats and about to start on refibreglassing some cracks in the hull. The boat is a 14 foot boat, and it is also in excellent shape for its age, everything is solid and no major rotting with the exception of the couple of minor cracks in the hull, the transom is perfectly fine with no rotting. I am going to repaint the boat and finish putting everything back together, and it looks about 25 years old not 45 years old. I am just interested to know if anyone can help me set a price range for this boat at all? I was considering that the motor by itself would be worth about $800 CDN and the boat would be worth $800 CDN. If anyone has any suggestions as to what it may be worth please feel free to let me hear your comments. Chris.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Putting a value to a motor and boat? 13 years 11 months ago #5373

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Chris, I'm going to chime in and respond here, as I've noticed you've started "thread jumping" trying to get an answer. There are numerous posts in this forum on the subject, but it takes time to do the research, right?

The boat market is really off these days, people just don't have (or won't let go of) the extra spendable money to make purchases on items that are not life's necessities. Plus the hard economic times are forcing many to sell their "luxury" items (boats, motors, etc.), bringing prices down even further. That being said, let's address your question. Before we start, please understand that I'm not putting you or your boat down, just giving you an objective opinion, and you asked.

I understand you feel your motor operates "perfectly fine" and the boat is in "excellent shape", but lets think this over. The motor being a 63, would need a thorough going over. Wiring, hoses, etc. will deteriorate with time, you don't mention previous maintenance or anything about what's been done to keep it running. The electric shift models are generally steered away from, as they have been known to be a source for problems and are hard to find replacement parts for. (Some will disagree with this, I'm speaking generally.) When's the last time it had a tune up and water pump impeller?
The boat has been repainted with a "custom" paint job, but that actually detracts from the value of the boat. (Sorry, just telling it like it is.) You say the boat is structurally sound, yet you are repairing cracks in the 'glass. Unless you're talking about very small surface spider cracks from aging, something is causing the cracks to form!

Just looking at the few pics you posted, and with what you have told us, I'd say your estimate on the asking price is a good bit high. You may be able to find someone who would pay that, but if you're serious about selling I'd recommend dropping it in half. (Your location is also an issue, although there are quite a few enthusiasts in Canada, I do understand.)

I'd like to pass along my sincere best wishes to you on your endeavor, and I truly hope I haven't offended you with my honesty. You asked, and I tried to give you my humble opinion.

PS - Less than a month ago, I sold a 58 Cutter Tornado with a 62 Merc 700 FGS on an original Holsclaw trailer for about 1/3 of what it should have brought, in my opinion. I was the second owner, and spent much time refreshing the motor, all it really needed was paint.

Mark

Re:Putting a value to a motor and boat? 13 years 11 months ago #5374

HI Chris;
I'm a member of the Antique Outboard Club and by no means an expert on the value of the boat. On the other hand I'm pretty darn familiar with the value on the electric shift OMC's of the early 60's. Personally I sold an excellent looking/running/shifting 63 Evinrude Lark complete with controls and gas tank a few years ago for $225.00 and I was happy to get it. The electric shift was a way for OMC to incorporate single lever (or push button on Evinrude) shifting/throttle to their line. The system proved to be very unreliable if not serviced on a regular basis and if water got into the LU via a leaking seal it was game over(on the upside when it failed it locked into forward so you could get home). Now people avoid the motors since very few shops can work on them and the average do it yourself guy is lost in any attempt to repair them. If you value the motor at $150.00 to $200.00 and can demonstrate it to be in good order that is about all it is worth. The trailer if included is worth about $200.00 if it has decent tires and working lights. I'll let others chime in on the boat.
Al, A fellow Canuck

Re:Putting a value to a motor and boat? 13 years 11 months ago #5375

• bogman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Good post, I'd agree with your thinking. My 2 cents from a fellow Canadian, good luck with the sale...

Re:Putting a value to a motor and boat? 13 years 11 months ago #5397

A little off topic here, but my first boat that I ever owned was that exact same model. I bought it without a trailer or motor for $100 when I was 15 years old. Never did get it in the water, but I loved it. Didn't know what I was doing but I worked and cleaned and tinkered with it for a year and dad finally went abd bought me a used Glastron and they took the Arkansas Traveler in on trade! LOL Sure would like to have another one like it one of these days.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Putting a value to a motor and boat? 13 years 11 months ago #5462

Alright, i am glad that i have something to base a possible price for it. As for the motor, my old man has gone through the entire leg and cleaned the entire motor from top to bottom. we had a problem with the motor overheating when we first got it, and it was because the guy who we bought it off of left it on a beach untied during a party, passed out on the beach and found it a couple 100 feet away from where it was, and the motor sucked in a whole bunch of sand when he went to start it. we've cleaned the whole thing and gone right through everything. I've had it on the lakes a couple of times now since we got it going good and it doesnt seem to have any problems. also luckily for me there is a guy who specializes in old boats and has his own shop that lives literaly less than 1 minute from my front door who can do a tune-up for me anytime. I also live in a huge boating area in canada called the okanogan just a side note many of you probably have heard of the ogopogo. but there is always a huge demand for boats here because we are surronded by 2 huge lakes that are litteraly a part of town, and lots of other littler lakes not far away.I am trying to put a price based on some of the local boats for sale in the papers and bargan hunter as well. i am still going to shoot for the $1000-$1200 mark becuase of some of the other boats i've found here, and i paid $700 for the boat when all the interior was rotten and it didnt run, and the guy was using it as a garbage trailer! no joke just threw the garbage into the boat like it was a trailer. i've put in a lot of time in restoring it and would like to come out even for what ive put in. and i agree the crappy paint job has to go lol. and the cracks arnt major, they are just small splits that runn along the bottom of the hull, but if i dont get to them now they will start to open up.

but thank you all for giving me something to work with

chris.

Re:Putting a value to a motor and boat? 13 years 11 months ago #5464

you can try something like this guy and you might get a bite or 2 vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/1713553981.html

Re:Putting a value to a motor and boat? 13 years 11 months ago #5470

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Chris wrote:

and the guy was using it as a garbage trailer! no joke just threw the garbage into the boat like it was a trailer.

I hear ya buddy, that Cutter was full of gardening supplies when I bought it! Kinda makes you crazy, huh. Start at $1200, you can always come down but it's hard to go up. ;)

Mark

Re:Putting a value to a motor and boat? 13 years 11 months ago #5494

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Start at 1500 and let the buyer offer you 1200 so they feel like their getting a good deal but you might end up with a thousand... I use the 1/3 rule that I made up over the years being that I offer 1/3 less then the asking price and dont budge if its worth it or if I want to sell something for 800 ill list it for 1200. It seems to work for me. If you put it up for 1200 youd get only 800 but throw in "make offer" in your ad. Its all about making your ad sound as good as you can and the pics you post are priceless. Throw in some water action shots if using a cl ad.
To top it off most everything I buy I manage to sell for double if I change my mind and no longer want it.
Seems you live in a good boating town so deals will be out there.
Good luck, Mike

Ps... on your next classic fiberglass boat buy do not pay more for a boat then you know you'll be able to sell it for later on.

Re:Putting a value to a motor and boat? 13 years 11 months ago #5540

yeah thats what i think im going to do put it out ther for maybe $1500 or $1400 and try and come out with $1000-$1200, atleast $900 and i come out even for what i paid and put into it, its likely that i can get that for it.

and yeah no joke the guy i got it off of just threw his garbage in it and used it as a garbage trailer. he actualy wanted a grand for it at first, but we told him $700 and we'll throw out the garbage for you.lol.

Re:Putting a value to a motor and boat? 13 years 11 months ago #5541

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!! i do have to admit that that could and would be a pritty sweet boat, but that is a bit rediculous, $6000 for a bare hull with nothing. wow good luck getting that much for that.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)