Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking For The Right Outboard!

Looking For The Right Outboard! 13 years 11 months ago #5236

I am still looking for a suitable outboard for my 14 foot 1959 Fiberglide runabout.
I have been told that I need a 25 to 50 HP, electric start, short shaft outboard with cable steering connections.

I have quickly discovered that a nice restored outboard will cost $500-PLUS and to ship an outboard anywhere is $100 to $200. So looking to spend as little as required for my first outboard I have found the pickings pretty slim!!

My question to the panel is this “Is there any make that stands head and shoulders above the rest – or any make I should avoid?” Is it better to look for an earlier year motor over an older – putting “looks” aside?

Is there any place to look for fair values for old motors?

So far all I have found is:
195? Evinrude Lark – 35hp for $450.00
1955 Johnson Model RDE - 25hp for $450.00
1961 Mercury 400 - 45hp for $365.00
1986 Evinrude - 110hp for $500.00
19?? Mariner - 25hp for $550.00
1953 Johnson - 35hp for $350.00

What are the hidden gotchas, that I am overlooking?
:unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Scottsman
Scottish by birth, American by law,
Texan by the grace of God.

Re:Looking For The Right Outboard! 13 years 11 months ago #5246

Some of those outboards are going to sell for a good amount over the prices you listed if they are truly restored. Refurbished and restored as people are well aware are very different animals.

I'd want the outboard, the harness and/or control box and the matching controls and anything else needed for a bolt and go.

If I were looking for a vintage outboard, I would go to the Tomahawk Nationals August 4-7th in WI this Summer and bring some cash.

www.aomci.org/events/

If you are lucky, you'll only leave with 2-3 motors. :laugh:

www.aomci.org is a great resource, but will not discuss prices or values of old motors in the forums.

Place a want ad in the Webvertize section and see what pans out.

Just my opinion, yours may differ.

Re:Looking For The Right Outboard! 13 years 11 months ago #5247

Scottsman - First and foremost, I'm a Lawson of Clan MacLaren; The Boar's Rock. Ok, we got through that. IMHO, you want a 1959 Evinrude Lark Golden Jubilee 35 hp. I own 5 of them. The parts are still readily available. They are easy to work on, and, if need be, you can piece one together from old motors. I have short and long shaft conversion kits for these. They are great old motors, and the 50th anniversary logo makes them pretty cool.

Re:Looking For The Right Outboard! 13 years 11 months ago #5259

Johnson did not have a 35 HP outboard in 1953.

Often times a big ticket item is the controls and wiring harness. That should play into your consideration. You may have to pay as much for those items as the motor itself. So when shopping, make sure you ask if those items are included ina price.

Andreas

Re:Looking For The Right Outboard! 13 years 11 months ago #5310

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I see you are in Texas, should have some good choices fairly local that could save you the shipping expense. AS for makes, Merc guys love their mercs, and the Johnson/Evenrude guys prefer them. As for period motors, most here agree they just "look right" behind a glassic.
Keep in mind that a "running motor" for $300 - $500 bux may most likely need some servicing, too. Whether a tune up, or water pump impeller, be prepared to spend a bit more.
Lasly, good deals are out there, but you may have to be patient. Springtime, and boating-fever, absolutley impacts pricing. A motor that someone wants gone in the fall will sell for less, than in spring, when demand multiplies.
Keep searching, and good luck!

Re:Looking For The Right Outboard! 13 years 11 months ago #5315

I'm a Merc guy and can tell you that Mercs replacement parts are more expensive than the Johnson parts in most cases and can be more difficult to work on for the novice.

Most Mercs also take dedicated or specialized tools to fix them or the person fixing them will have to make a tool or make something work.

John McIntosh sells some of the Merc. tools for the general service items.
www.johnsmcintosh.com/Tools.htm

Most Johnson outboards can be fixed with a screwdriver, some spanners (Wrenches) and a large hammer. :laugh:

Re:Looking For The Right Outboard! 13 years 11 months ago #5319

What the others say above is solid advice. I'd add that if you don't like, or don't have the want to work on and tinker with engines, an old used motor of any type is going to be a problem. Unless you are unusually lucky, a cheap motor is going to have problems. Most old outboards suffer from one or more of the following problems:

Worn out & needing complete overhaull
Neglect
Abuse
"shade - tree" repairs
broken / missing / damaged parts.

Of course there are exceptions, and once in a while, someone will find a beautifully preserved, or restored engine.

Keep in mind that there is often a reason motors are taken out of service, rare is it that someone will retire a motor in its "prime"

Good motors aren't cheap. Less expensive engines can be revived, but that costs money, even if you do the work yourself.

Do your homework on how to spot a junker from a jewel.

Re:Looking For The Right Outboard! 13 years 11 months ago #5328

A few things to keep in mind...

If you want to have an older outboard on your boat, you will either have to learn to repair it yourself or be prepared to pay more than the motor is "worth" to have it repaired when needed. You may pay $300 for a basically intact motor, but you may put another $300-$500 into it if you have a local shop willing to work on it (at $75 - $100 an hour in some cases!). It definitely helps if you can find a local guy who does them as a hobby - they're generally less expensive and often more knowledgeable about the old stuff.

Regardless of whether you pay someone else to work on them or not, it pays to know the basics about them as 50 year old motors do occasionally develop issues out on the water. Get a manual specific to whatever motor(s) you end up with and read it, more than once. Old outboards generally aren't too complicated, but there is a learning curve involved.

As for a motor choice - I will agree with Brian's vote for the late 1950s Johnrude 35s. Solid motors all around, and they share enough parts with other motors of that vintage that parts are relatively easy to find if you need them. Always helps to have a parts motor version of your runner motor, too...

- Scott

Re:Looking For The Right Outboard! 13 years 11 months ago #5347

Amen. I love the older motors but have learned to invest up front in having them gone through. Assuming the power head is good, get the carb rebuilt, have new electrics installed, and have the lower unit gone through. Everything else is straight forward. For me, spending $300-500 (or with the Merc 1350, a lot more than that) to have a motor ensured to be a runner is a no brainer. The last new motor I bought was nearly $6 Grand for a 2007 Mercury 40 hp short shaft. You can get a lot of repairs for that kind of money. And I agree with Scott. Motors are not my forte. I can change parts easily, but I am not good at diagnosing problems. Build a relationship with a good mechanic, and treat him right. Some of the money I save on building/restoring boats I turn back to ensuring dependable motors. Nothing ruins a day on the water more than a motor that fails. Which reminds me of the time I left Foxy's Restaurant after dinner to head back to the Island. I left the dock with twin 1959 Evinrude Golden Jubilees running flawlessly and people watching. I throttled up as we left the dock feeling coy. 1000' out the port engine dies, kicks up, I spin around and see smoke coming out of it. I limped to the Island on one motor cursing the entire way. 5AM the next morning I tore the lower unit off to find that a 3/8" long 1/16" thick keyway that inserts into the driveshaft to engage the impeller had worn out and was not engaging the impeller. I ran down to the marina I worked at as a kid and literally got the last vintage keyway they had. I had the motor back together and running in no time. I did the work on this lower unit myself. I think a more experienced mechanic would have said time for a new keyway. For the time I get to spend on the water now, I want everything to work. I'm happy to spend the money to help ensure that happens.

Brian

Re:Looking For The Right Outboard! 13 years 11 months ago #5358

To be very honest, that is my concern.

I also build and collect old cars. I love they way old cras look and they way an old V8 sounds but hate when I am stranded by vintage engines or I have to put in eight hours of work for a couple hour joy ride!

I can see how the same would be true with vintage outboards. They look great but how dependable are they. There has to be some point where a newer used outboard is cheaper than a 50s-60s outboard and much more dependable! :unsure:

The Scottsman
Scottish by birth, American by law,
Texan by the grace of God.

Re:Looking For The Right Outboard! 13 years 11 months ago #5364

In my opinion the old engines are very dependable. There are less things to have problems with since the engines are very basic in nature. Good coils, points, plugs, carbs, and water pump and they will run for years with proper maintenance. No computers, no oil injection, no electronic iginition packs to go out... Just simple tune ups and basic care is all they need.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Looking For The Right Outboard! 13 years 11 months ago #5370

I have a 1963 johnson 40 hp outboard motor and a 14 foot arkansas traveler comet that is in perfect running condition, unfortunately i live in canada so shipping or driving would be a long way to go. but just some questions, what do you think i could sell my boat and motor for? i was thinking $1600 for the boat, motor and trailer all work and run perfectly fine, i know i live in canada so prices may be different, but just out of curiosity?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6349 guests and no members online