Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Source for Old Boat Values???

Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 1 week ago #4389

I was wondering, if there was a source for old boat value like NADA is for cars?

NADA has boat values but usually only going back to the late 1970s or early 1980s. :S

Is there some value information source for old fiberglass boats??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Scottsman
Scottish by birth, American by law,
Texan by the grace of God.

Re:Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 1 week ago #4401

Yo Super C
I have never seen a book for boat values.
The common answer around here is; "it is worth just about what someone will pay for it."
Now, I have seen an outfit, "boatangelministries" on eBay that ascribes a value to some, but not all, of the boats they auction. Where they get that information is beyond me. They have a phone number in their ads. You might give them a call and ask.

See this link
motors.shop.ebay.com/boatangelministries/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

and the phone number they have listed = (602) 903-4449

beyond that
I ascribe a basic value for a boat package
a decent hull 100 bucks
a decent engine 100 bucks
a decent trailer 100 bucks
If any of the above have the correct paperwork the value goes up a little. Obviously, the better shape, any of the aforementioned components are, the value goes up. Another way to check a value is to put out a Craigs ad with a unrealistic price and see what kind of offers actually appear...

regards
lar

Re:Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 1 week ago #4402

Yea - I have seen their auctions. This is a family site so I won't tell you where I think they pull their values from!

The Scottsman

Re:Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 1 week ago #4434

What Larry said.
Start with scap value and work up. Scrap meaning it costs you $35 at the dump to scrap the hull.
Top Tier boats - Meteors and the like - are worth money..and even bring what you put in them to restore. Ditto for Tee Nee trailers with full fenders. Everything else is a break even at best.

Peter
in Denver

Re:Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 1 week ago #4450

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
yup, 100 for boat hull, 100 for trailer and if your lucky 100 for the motor.
Now if its a great boat then its what the market will allow.
Better yeat,
what Larry said, lol
Mike
PS.... Supercharged, do you have a boat or pics of one youd like us to try to put a price on because we can help. Expecially if your in the market to but one. Your location might weigh in to the factor aswell....

Re:Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 1 week ago #4457

Oh ya
Forgot to work up from the negative.
Don't forget to add gas money to haul it to the dump

Plus what Mike said: location, location, location!
Both Peter C and I have sat on cool boats we have found in the back forty.
Turned out the Colorado Cool Old Boat Consortium consisted of us and Mike E.
Peter can correct this, but most, if not all, of the boats we have sold were to out of state buyers.

Recently heard of a decent local G-3, made it to the dump cause the seller couldn't get 500.
Story is, he did it for spite! Even posted the pics on Craigs!!!
I've offered my Tomahawk Skimate, for a smoking deal, like "make me an offer." I'm still sitting on it.

It is alot like love, Beauty, IS, in the eyes of the beholder.
Or, as Spock aptly said, losing his betrothed to a friend,
"the wanting, is not the same as the having."

regards
lar
locationally challenged in Denver

Re:Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 6 days ago #4691

Here she is....a 1959 14' Fiberglide. :blush: (Fiberglide Boat Co of New Boston, TX)

She still needs an outboard, but I am searching... :dry:

The Scottsman

Re:Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 5 days ago #4853

This says it all...

1958 Glastron FIREFLITE

Ended: Apr 14, 201021:33:17 PDT

Bid history: 9 bids

Current bid: US $275.00
Reserve not met
Attachments:

Re:Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 5 days ago #4856

Yes, that boat is near me and I bid on it as well BUT eBay auctions that have a hidden reserve scare a lot folks away.

I beleive the asking price for this on Craigslist is only $1250, but time ran out on the eBay auction. :blink:

Anyone that collects "old" things very soon learns that they are only worth what value others place on them. And that is very trend-dependent. What is hot today many be worthless tomorrow and vise-versa.

I have collected and restored old cars for years and the same is true in that hobby. 1964 1/2 Mustang = Priceless and 1964 Falcon = Worthless! Often the very same car with different fender badges will be worth several times more - go figure! :ohmy:

So it makes sense the same holds for Boats, but I do not understand why there isn't a website that deals with old boat values like there are for old cars, old furniture, ... :side:

The Scottsman

Re:Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 5 days ago #4858

Wow
If it isn't my ole fireflite

Did I ever tell you guys how I came to acquire it?

Was doing some scrap metals back in the day.
Got a call to pick up some shelving from a Vietnamese or Laotian family.
The boat was sitting in the yard with a Mark 78 on the back.
The owners said, and with out the accent, it won't sound the same,
"U Hall A-way!, U Hall A-way!!" Probably heard them say that six or seven times until they were sure, I understood.

Damn strait, I'll haul it away

It was my second Fiberglassic and introduced me to the folks over at CGOA.
Would have been fun to have at least got her water worthy.
To many aspirations, to little time, or motivation, can't decide which.

Peter C bought it with the 78 and as you can see subsequently sold it.

Looks like the current owner did not do so well price wise.
Nor did they progress to far in the "water worthy" department.

I hope someone finally gets her going.

lar

Re:Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 5 days ago #4859

As I had to dispose of my "fleet" due to health, here are some real world prices tht may be helpful, or not.

Cadillac Bermuda 17, clean, complete original. Paid $1200, traded away for a nice '61 Flying Scott 75 motor. New owner has her in storage.

1963 Elgin 14; clean useable boat. Paid $450; gave the boat away + $250 for a running 45 hp Elgin motor to go with it. New owner cleaned her up beautifully and is currently enjoying her.

1963 Elgin 15; paid $400; restored to very nice shape, new upholstery, fittings, floor, buffed and polished original gel. Sold for $3500 w/ no motor. Went to upper New England.

Aristocraft Torpedo 14 factory repro, 2001. Paid $2500 in 2004; In very nice shape, sold with restored '58 Scott 40, $7000. Boat went to Tennessee.

1963 Aristocraft Funliner 17, total original in excellent condition. Paid $1800. Cleaned, buffed, and detailed. Put $500 into service of the original Merc 700 FGS. Sold locally for $4500 in March. May be going to New Hampshire for summer use.

The Torpedo and Elgin 15 were sold on ebay, others word of mouth, etc. All sold/swapped within the past year or so.

Re:Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 5 days ago #4862

I work in the boat valuation industry and our company have been valuing boats since the 1930's.

Current used values only go back to the 1970's and they are more for insurance/dealer purposes rather than private party transactions.

There is no single source out there that can tell you what a classic boat is worth except what the market will bear. Too many factors come into play.

The oldest print I could find in our office dates back and covers all the boats manufactured from 1957-1965 The pub is dated 1965.

ABOS official Outboard Boat Trade-In Guide. Obviously the values printed in the book aren't going to be accurate, but finding one of the late 1950's editions in an old dealership would be absolute gold showing all the makes and models of boats that were manufactured during the 1950's.

The book lists specs including:

Model
Type
Cost New
Length
Beam
Weight
Transom Height
Transom Width
Rated Horsepower
Floatation Type
Construction Material
Passenger capacity in pounds

Lots of off-brands I didn't even know existed.

Look for the older editions on ebay like this one. Again, good for specs.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-Outboard-Motor-Trade-in-Blue-Book-ABOS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a53ca3abQQitemZ230405481387QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Re:Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 4 days ago #4947

Bobelgin, good to see you back. Hope you are feeling better. The windshield I bought from you looks great on the Tomahawk.
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 4 days ago #4981

Ive seen REALLY nice vintage boats for sale that were under 2000 dollars that didnt sell...ive seen some really hammered vintage boats sell for way more than that....and everything in between. It has more to do with rarity than it does with overall condition from my experience. The more rare or desirable a hull or motor, the more a collector or vintage enthusiast is going to be willing to pay.

There really is no set value on these old boats...they are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

Re: Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 3 days ago #4985

Here is a list of what boats I own and how much I paid, maybe that will help. I think there is a great range in values and the rule that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" applies.

Order of acquisition:

1. 1959 Whitehouse, no motor, no trailer, needed new transom, paint, everything: cost: 0

2. 1960 Crestliner Arabian on a Tee-Nee trailer with a Merc 58A, needed new floor, transom, engine work, seats, etc. Tee-Nee in good shape, needed new tires: cost $400 or so.

3. 1961 Crestliner Arabian with dockbuster and a Mastercraft: completely redone interior, good shape, engine ok (little work): cost: $600 (I think, can't remember exactly)

4. 1956 Feathercraft Ranger?: with newer Merc Mariner on good trailer, needed a water jacket seal, (my daily driver): cost: $700

5. Viking Marine Catamaran (1960?) with 2 Merc 400, trailer, needing alot of work: $400

All of the above didn't include transportation costs, registration, titling, etc.

Hello, World!!

Re: Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 3 days ago #5003

Well if you're gonna start including transportation, storage costs, title fees and registrations nothing's going to make sense.

I probably speak only for myself when I say that I tend to turn a blind eye to those costs so that I can delude myself into thinking I made out on a deal :~)

Peter
Delusional
in Denver

Re: Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 3 days ago #5005

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
glastrons are down this week,sorry peter

Re: Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 3 days ago #5008

Peter_Crowl wrote:

Well if you're gonna start including transportation, storage costs, title fees and registrations nothing's going to make sense.

I probably speak only for myself when I say that I tend to turn a blind eye to those costs so that I can delude myself into thinking I made out on a deal :~)

Peter
Delusional
in Denver

That is so true Peter.

As long as you think you made a good deal, far be it for any other person to rain on your parade! :lol:

The Scottsman

Re: Source for Old Boat Values??? 14 years 3 days ago #5009

bilnan1 wrote:

glastrons are down this week,sorry peter

'Twern't mine - well - it used to be mine but that was a long time ago :~)

P.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)