• Page:

TOPIC: wooooo hooooooo,new bow light

wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 5 days ago #4299

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
on sunday we removed the hardware on the 64 sunray and the bow light was badly pitted,and just by coincedence i checked out ebay and found the exact same bowlight in near mint condition,so i bid on it and won it for $31.56,man am i a happy camper,heres the old and the new bowlights,i still cant get over the coincedence of finding the exact bowlight ,just when i need it,i got it with just 56 cents to spare,lol,john

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 5 days ago #4301

Wow! Sun must have been shining right on you John. What a cool find, and the timing is impeccable!

Frank

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 5 days ago #4308

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
frank ,it definatly was great timing,after we took it off ,i went through about 200 or 300 bow lights on ebay ,to find this one ,it had 16 hours to go ,with a starting bid of 20 bucks,i figured i would pay about 30 bucks for it ,but i thoght another bidder would think the same and make their bid 31 bucks,so i made my bid 31.56 just in case they bidded 31.50,the other bidder ,bid 31 dollars ,so i got it with 56 cents on my bid,boy am i very happy,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 5 days ago #4310

Hey John, I had to do almost the same as you did. I have the indentical light on my "63" Sea Ray 808 but the base on mine was broken. The crome was in good shape so I set about trying to find a base that I could use. Found one on ebay also. The crome wasn't in good shape but the base was what I wanted and I got it for $30.00. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing? I think we both did GOOD!! Bob

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 5 days ago #4311

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
bob thats great and by the way,nice to meet you,
do you have any pics of it?and pics of your searay?i would like to see them,john

---Mark Twain

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 5 days ago #4324

John, I will past some photos as soon as I get home. Down at the Moose doing the blood drive thing and using their computer. By the way, mine has the burgee mast so I can fly my Sea Ray flag. Nice to meet you too! I also have some photos of my boat in the gallery section.

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 4 days ago #4345

good find john.

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 3 days ago #4416

Hi John, here's a shot of my bow light. [img] [img]http://fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/misc-20100415.jpg
Attachments:

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 3 days ago #4421

Cool score! There used to be a commercial "Ya aint cool if your chrome don't shine". Not into the RatRod look myself, been fighting rust to long to give in now. That's what I'ld call a "Reality Buy", the Reality is the marine store don't have a match and to Buy their $30 light would leave me wanting...ebay...Junkyard G-2...CAT*FIN*k

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 2 days ago #4479

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
does anybody know where i can get a burgee pole for a burgee,i would like one like bobs ,but im up for most anything,by the way bob that is cool,it what ive been looking for,john

---Mark Twain

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 2 days ago #4493

john, i know you have seen my light staff but whats the use of having them when every time you put a flag on you lose it at full throttle. :( at $38 bucks a pop. i'm on my 3rd.
Attachments:

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 2 days ago #4495

Ron, maybe if you put a grommet in the bottom of the flag and tie it off somewhere on the light, it wouldn't blow off.

Now in my situation, I have the original pennant and staff from my father's Amesbury Skiff, which he bought in 1956. The staff fits snugly in the top of the light, but I would like to make it more secure. Any thought would be appreciated.
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 2 days ago #4496

Ron, maybe if you put a grommet in the bottom of the flag and tie it off somewhere on the light, it wouldn't blow off.

Now in my situation, I have the original pennant and staff from my father's Amesbury Skiff, which he bought in 1956. The staff fits snugly in the top of the light, but I would like to make it more secure. Any thought would be appreciated.
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 2 days ago #4530

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron ,if you take off your flag,and lay it on a piece of wood,then take an awl put it on the thicker part at the the bottom of the flag then poke a small hole in it.it looks like your pole has grooves in it ,so put a small peice of fishing line throgh the hole and tie it tightly in one of the grooves,and cut off the excess fishing line.
i know its not the greatest suggestion but it should work without looking too badly,at least its cheaper then 38 bucks,lol

---Mark Twain

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 2 days ago #4532

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
tudor,this is a tough way to go on a classic bow light,but you could drill a small hole in it at the rear of the light,then tap it with threads,buy a allen screw (without a head on it)that would go into the hole and screw it in until its tight against the pole.
i know im probably going to get a little flack for suggesting you drill a hole into an antique/classic bow light,but it should work,acually doing it is up to you.please no hate mail guys,lol,lol.

---Mark Twain

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 1 day ago #4538

Great find, good for you and good thing it didn't come up only in the closed eBay listings.

Hey do you have a spare slotted cap/top, I'm looking for one that's 1 1/4 diameter for a bowlight that's not that nice but will pass ok. There must be some out there. Thanks.

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 1 day ago #4539

Great find, good for you and good thing it didn't come up only in the closed eBay listings.

Hey do you have a spare slotted cap/top, I'm looking for one that's 1 1/4 diameter for a bowlight that's not that nice but will pass ok. There must be some out there. Thanks.

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 1 day ago #4553

vuyosevich wrote:

john, i know you have seen my light staff but whats the use of having them when every time you put a flag on you lose it at full throttle. :( at $38 bucks a pop. i'm on my 3rd.

That mast doesn't have two little holes in it for the flag to connect to? I've never seen a flag that slipped over the mast like that. Did you have it made that way?
Doug
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 1 day ago #4578

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i have the old cap from the old light,ill look and see if it will work for you,ill have to look later ,right now ive got to take my truck and get a ton of shale.

---Mark Twain

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 1 day ago #4587

Birchpoint, If John doesn't have a cap, I do. I went out and measured the one I have but it's more like an 1 3/8 across the top. It's got the tab that holds the light along with the light recepticle with the wires attached. If you can use it, I'd be glad to send it to you. You put it in E and W and just turn it N and S and it locks in place. Let me know. AND IT'S FREE!!! Bob

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 1 day ago #4624

Hi Bob,
Done, I'll take it and give it a try. My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., send me your contact info and you'll find a fiver in the mail for a cold one. Very appreciated. Thanks. Ralph

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 23 hours ago #4627

I never fly a burgee if I'm going to run full speed for any length of time. A way to prevent loss is teather the flag & pole to a nearby cleat or chock with some heavy fishing line. You can even use weed eater line if you are super afraid of losing anything.

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 22 hours ago #4629

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
birchpoint im very sorry it took so long to answer,the cap in the old light is just about 1 and 3/8s inches,if the one bob has for you doesnt work let me know you can have it,oh and by the way i got the nos light today its in great shape,im happy with it,does anyone have a good burgee /flag pole?

---Mark Twain

Re:wooooo hooooooo,new bow light 14 years 7 hours ago #4665

Hi Ralph, I just sent you an email. As soon as I get your information, I'll send it out. Glad to help. Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7348 guests and 2 members online