Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fiberglass and Paint, also 2 stroke engine work?

Fiberglass and Paint, also 2 stroke engine work? 14 years 1 week ago #4123

Hello,

I'm a new member of the forum and am just getting started with a 1959 Cutter I bought, 14ft in length. It has a 1958 Johnson Porthole motor. The boat is in pretty good shape and I have transferred the boat to NW Arkansas to Beaver lake. Does anyone have any recommendations as to who is good at fiberglass and paint work? Also 2 stroke engine work? I am possibly wanting to completely redo the boat this coming winter and need someone reliable and trustworthy! Any help is appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Fiberglass and Paint, also 2 stroke engine work? 14 years 1 week ago #4180

• Erik
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
You, you, and you. Fiberglass is very easy to work with minimal practice. The rebuilders section on another boating site, has extensive lay up info as well as where and what to buy and all sorts of opinions on both. Poly resin is what you would buy locally in any auto and some big box home places. For your 14 ft that's fine. My 14ft 59 span/sea king was built with it. Choices of fiberglass is endless, but cloth, CSM, and woven roving are pretty much your weapons of choice. As for paint, this has been done about a ba-jillion (that's not a word, but I like it) ways. For me, I have a smaller garage right now, and so roll and tip with a ton of wetsanding is the way I'm going. Search Heather's quick video on shooting enamel. There is plenty of info on gel coat as well. As for the engine, older 2 strokes are great for durability and simplicity. Check the compression and go from there. These engines require basic hand tools and the ability to read. I'm probably the youngest guy around here (not 30 yet) and have a background in mostly gas and heavy diesel repair, and I've learned that these older engines where built to be workhorses. This is a great board that I found after digging my first vintage boat out of the mud. On a side note, I'm now selling off my 4th boat that resides at the Lake of the Ozarks so I can replace it with my little Sea king. My buddy and I fish Beaver Lake at least once a year. That is the most beautiful lake I've ever been on. Good luck, and ask plenty of questions. The people here are all class acts.

Re:Fiberglass and Paint, also 2 stroke engine work? 14 years 1 week ago #4187

Hi Erik,

I appreciate that! I haven't tackled that kind of work before and briefly thought about it but now that you have said that, I will do a little research on it! It would be cheaper and get me more acquainted with the boat should I have any problems with it later on. Your right about Beaver Lake. Very pretty and I'll be excited to take the boat out on the lake. We'll see how it runs! I guess I'll need to get a maintenance manual on the engine and if it lists what to do, I should be able to do it! I'll let you know anyway! Again, thanks so much for your encouragement! Before I go, any books on fiberglassing that you would recommend or would you even go that far?

Re:Fiberglass and Paint, also 2 stroke engine work? 14 years 1 week ago #4332

Welcome aboard!
There are many fiberglass "how to" articles to be found. Some of the best are actually found on sites that deal with fiberglass cloth and various supplies. I don't work for any of these people, so I have no vested interest in selling their products, but here are a few with tutorials.

1- www.raka.com/manual.html

2- www.fiberglasswarehouse.com/help/epoxybook.pdf

3- www.fiberglasswarehouse.com/fiberglass_information.php

4- www.glen-l.com/methods/how-to-fg.html

5- www.fibreglast.com/category/Books_Videos

Hopefully something here will be of value to you. HAPPY GLASSING !!!!

Mike Russon

Re:Fiberglass and Paint, also 2 stroke engine work? 14 years 1 week ago #4339

Thanks Mike!

I appreciate any help and advice! Much appreciated!!!!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7484 guests and 2 members online