• Page:

TOPIC: got the sunray today and built a motor stand

got the sunray today and built a motor stand 13 years 11 months ago #3958

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
i finaly got the sunray in my garage today,it was in my moms fiances garage all winter,as soon as it got here i built this rolling motor stand on a 20 dollar,1000lb furniture dolly,i built it in a hurry ,but it seems to work fine,boy am i glad i put a electric hoist in the garage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:got the sunray today and built a motor stand 13 years 11 months ago #3969

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Nice job on the motor stand, John. Wish my garage looked that clean! (It would, if I hauled about three truckloads of collected junk out of there :S ). That front shot of the Sunray kinda looks like a hammerhead shark staring right at ya!

Mark

Re:got the sunray today and built a motor stand 13 years 11 months ago #3973

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks mark,and lol look at the pics with the motor stand in them,i had'nt cleaned the garage yet,i didnt clean it untill it was time to put the boat in.
yeah they do look like a hammerhead ,i think its cool.
by the way if somebody wants to build one the bottom of the upright 2x4s are cut at a 5degree angle ,to try to match the angle of a transom,(a little less actually)then i adjusted the motor as vertical as i could,i also straped it down ,so it stays there.
mark if you look at the left of the 3rd pic down ,you will see the fold up table in the down position,then in the 5th and 8th pic they are folded up onto the wall,my garage is only 12 wide x24 deep,this helps to give me more room when i need it,plus every table,stand or cabinet,(except for the shelves)is on castors so i can move them if needed.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:got the sunray today and built a motor stand 13 years 11 months ago #3975

Nice motor stand John. I've built a number like that (except no angle to the vertical), just not with one of those dolly moving deals like you can get at Harbor Freight. I have most all my stuff in the garage on rollers too, working table (originally built to tear apart the jag rear end I got for my hot rod - that's about 1998!), my table saw, and my two welding carts. Makes life a lot easier.

Keep up the great work!

Frank

Re:got the sunray today and built a motor stand 13 years 11 months ago #3976

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yeah frank,my 4x8 homemade table is on castors and the legs fold up,then i can hoist it into the rafters with my electric hoist,it makes for alot more room,john

---Mark Twain

Re:got the sunray today and built a motor stand 13 years 11 months ago #3977

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yeah frank,my 4x8 homemade table is on castors and the legs fold up,then i can hoist it into the rafters with my electric hoist,it makes for alot more room,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:got the sunray today and built a motor stand 13 years 11 months ago #3979

Your Sun Ray is a bit nicer than the one I had :~)

Nice work on the stand and dash!!

Peter
in Denver
Attachments:

Re:got the sunray today and built a motor stand 13 years 11 months ago #3983

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks peter,its not too bad of shape,very little gel coat cracking,i just got back from geting prices for the paint wow,about ,oh well i want it 2 tone teal mettalic with white accents,the teal will match the interior .the seats were compleate junk,i coulnt use anything from them,so we bought seats and extra matching vinyl,all the rest of the interior i am rebuilding and reupholstering.this is my 1st time doing that but it seems to be coming along not too bad.the seats came with 10 inch bases,i had to cut the bases way down to fit,and cut out for a "ladder"type seat bracket in the boat,which also was rebuilt.in these pics you can see how i had to cut down the bases.john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:got the sunray today and built a motor stand 13 years 11 months ago #4022

When we have a National Rally we really need you to do an upholstery seminar!

Peter
National Rally?
in Denver

Re:got the sunray today and built a motor stand 13 years 11 months ago #4023

Heck...a little DIY as he does it would be a blast to read...great job as always john.

Frank...found that cover for the reset in case your afraid to get into the hot water with out it....

Re:got the sunray today and built a motor stand 13 years 11 months ago #4041

How big is it Mark? Too big to send by mail? We're out to Buffalo often enough, but the next trip is to Fredonia May 15th to see our daughter in law get her Masters degree. I gotta get a pad poured for it still, and find the cash for legal and appropriate 220 wiring.

Email me!

Frank

Re:got the sunray today and built a motor stand 13 years 11 months ago #4046

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks peter and mark,but heck,this boat is the 1st time ive done upholstery,lol,im really learning as i go along,lol,but i do have alot of pics i took as i did the interior,if anyone wants just let me know and ill do i thread on them ,but wow,it will be a long one,lol,thanks again,by the way heres a few pics of the splashwell cover,1st is a pic of the old one ,next to the new one i built,then the other is the cover upside down and painted,the rest are when its almost finished,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:got the sunray today and built a motor stand 13 years 11 months ago #4061

John that is one super sweet ride. The head on view is super cool !!!!

Re:got the sunray today and built a motor stand 13 years 11 months ago #4063

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
tx maid,thank you,and i just started the sanding on it ,and wow,its in better shape then i thought,just a few nicks in it,i think the whole thing could be buffed out and look great,but i want the 2 tone look so i am going for that.john

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat