Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hey Whaley....

Hey Whaley.... 14 years 2 weeks ago #3841

• billr
  • billr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Jim,
Did you see that I finally launched the Dolphin?
You're the guy who ID'ed the boat.
Thanks for looking up those publishers, I was able to buy the hardcover book and the magazine.
Also got hold of a Dolphin brochure, it's posted in the Library Additions thread awaiting upload.

Boy, talk about a timeline Jim, man we're old:

1997 I see the boat in a Homelite ad.
1998 Join FG and ask Kelly if anyone has ever seen one. Blast out all manner of private emails and nobody has ever seen one.
1999 Post it as Mystery Boat
2003ish You find an article written about the boat and ID as Dolphin, so 5 years later we know what it is. Finally...
2004 A fellow FG member calls me from Olympia WA and says "you'll never guess what boat is tied up next to mine", this one.
2005 I see it for the first time at Tacoma WA boat show.
2008 January, I tow her to my house
2010 Finally launch her, no restoration started just repower.
13 years so far.

Previous owner moved up to a Tolly 36, and he has a full color framed picture of her in his salon. His kids grew up camping, fishing, swimming on this boat. He's helping me piece together the history at present.

Some pics in my gallery:
www.fiberglassics.com/gallery/category/24-billr-fiberglassics-member-since-1998.html

No fins, but a cool design exercise from the Glory Days back in the late 50's early 60's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Hey Whaley.... 14 years 1 week ago #3886

..... and I've been feeling old too. But, WOW, looks like keeping focused does pay. She looks great, at rest and on plane. She's very "boaty" rather than car-like or a spacecraft. She must look right at home anywhere around the Sound, would get a tip of the cap in Maine, Long Island or Annapolis (at least from me).
Only ONE boat ??? I'm having trouble grasping that concept - how could that be done .... I have "cut down" from the Vermont days but to cut down to one .... I wouldn't know how to begin.
Only one concern - can you mount a Bearcat for photo-ops ?
Attachments:

Re:Hey Whaley.... 14 years 1 week ago #3888

• billr
  • billr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Could and will do a Bearcat at some point.
I've had 3 of them on her and they all sold before I could launch her!
I sold the tilt/trim I had modified for the Bearcat last year, so would have to modify another one to fit.
Yeah, right now she has Plenty of power, ha!
And right now she is...ahem....Turnkey

I am finding myself reluctant to have a non-useable boat anymore, so going to put some hours on her and plan the renovation.
Right now thinking that this fall I'll pop the engine back off and put her on stands to add stringers/foam bilges from stem to stern, new transom too. And.....probably add the second station below.
I think if this boat has a second station and nice canvas it will be a do it all boat. A great little Beachcruiser, which is what I like to do, pop out to islands and step off.
If weather is good we'll be overnighting on Hope Island near Deception Pass this weekend, you recall where that is right? 'Twill be cold at night, 39-42! But hey that's livin'.
If all goes well will have some cool pics in a week.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.482 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7734 guests and 3 members online