• Page:

TOPIC: gel coat or paint

gel coat or paint 14 years 3 weeks ago #3710

• frog
  • frog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
i have a 1961 fleetform that was in a garage that a car burned up in , and the gel coat on the deck is full of cracks. so i removed the gel coat and was wondering how hard is it to apply new gel coat. or should i smooth it out with filler and paint the deck? thanks, greg (frog)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:gel coat or paint 14 years 3 weeks ago #3738

That's a loaded question. You'll find as many opinions on that as you will boat restorers out there.

Basically, gel coat will require alot more work to buff out and get smooth, and in most restores opinions will be a more original, more durable and possibly a more water resistant finish.

That being said, there are alot of good paint finishes out there and you can get a very nice, very durable and very water resistant finish out of those as well.

It's generally accepted that the two part urethanes are the most durable finishes. After all, they use a two part urethane called Imron on the space shuttle.

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:gel coat or paint 14 years 2 weeks ago #3897

Gelcoat is a lot easier to apply now than it used to be. Gloss additives cause it to flow much like paint and reduce or eliminate the need for the intense sanding and buffing that used to be required.
Visit www.duratec1.com/ProductList.html#marine
for product information regarding Duratec and other items.

The look of Gelcoat is so much more original than paint...when you see two boats side by each* one painted and one with gelcoat the difference is quite apparent. I guess it depends, though, on what you want to achieve.

Peter
in Denver

*Authentic M'Waukee dialect

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)