16ft Flybridge 14 years 15 hours ago #3397

• strobee
  • strobee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Will post picture of 16ft Dolphin flybridge I saw today. Clint
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:16ft Flybridge 14 years 10 hours ago #3408

• billr
Thanks for taking the pics Clint.
Here's some more, courtesy of Clint's camera....

The boat is a 1960 Dolphin Salty, and rides much softer than her appearance might suggest. The view perched atop that flying bridge is amazing. In a beam wake, she is surprisingly stable.

I have way more power on her than her designers ever envisioned, a 115hp (prop shaft rated) 1987 Mariner inline six. THe engine has been rebuilt along with new ignition, fuel pump, rebuilt carbs, water pump and base, and more. She's in break in mode now, so limited rpm to 3500 for the first 10 gallons of 25:1 break in premix. GPS said 21@3Krpm, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., currently running a 19P Piranha 3 blade.

The motor is on a CMC bracket because whoever rigged the previous V4 did not use the BIA bolt pattern template, so the bolts didn't line up. For expediency I used the CMC as the lower bolt holes are slotted. This engine has PTT, so didn't need the CMC trim function. Boy, these brackets are of husky construction.

Anyway, as mentioned elsewhere on FG, this was the first Mystery Boat and the only one accounted for. Not sure how many were built, they were used in several brochures and articles in 1961-62. The beam at the chines at transom is 6'11", so they are wide like a Power Cat on the bottom.
Like Forest Gump said, "dat's my boat".
I might put a smaller motor on her. Should really pop a Homelite 55 or Bearcat 85 on her. She doesn't need to be a 40+ mph boat for my purposes.
It's like driving a mini-Bertram 31, big smiles.

Attachments:

Re:16ft Flybridge 14 years 10 hours ago #3409

• billr
Matt,
See the Johnson 100 on the back of CLint's Skagit.
That is the motor I wrote you about.
She purred all day long, well we were on the water for 3.5 hours or so, and Clint didn't run as much as I did. I was purposely burning fuel for break in, so used more than he did.
Anyway, I expect yours will be a reliable workhorse just like his since your compression is similar (read really good!), and with all those new parts she'll be refreshed nicely.
I'm shipping your parts Monday, will forward tracking number.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)