TOPIC: 1957? glass Yellow Jacket

1957? glass Yellow Jacket 14 years 1 month ago #295

• TallTexan
  • TallTexan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello
Well I have been trying to find info on a Yellow Jacket. The Reg with the state has it down as a 1957, however knowing the rules of back when they first started to reg boats here it could be off a year or two

I have wrote a few on the yellow Jacket site, and got only one return...seems that the wooden Yellow Jacket bunch does not care much for the glass YJs

The whole boat is glass, but for the decking over the bow..It is wood, and the old owner told me that when he got it it was Mahogany ply wood and rotting through so he replaced it..Looks to be beechwood ply in place of what he took off ......Mahogany

I am restoring it back to what I think it should be. I am replacing the 1965 motor and going back with 2 1957 Johnson Javelins. I am pulling the steering out and replacing back with cable.

It has a windshield on it, however I am not sure that it came with one. (holes drill in many places looking like they were trying to make fit and no trim on it)

I found a NIB bow light for that era boat and it matches up to the holes left by the old light

The sad part is that I do have many screw holes to patch over

I would love any help on this

Anyone know the history on this boat...when did they start making glass, and was it in the plant in North TX or was another plant set up for glass boats

Thanks Allan

Later we will talk about my 1969 Thunderbird
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CAVU

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 14 years 1 month ago #302

• webmaster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Allan,

Good to see you here.

We have only a limited few bits on Yellow Jackets & the glass era. See here:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Yellow_Jacket

to our knowledge, the glass boat production for them was only a few years. 57 to...?

Yours looks a little different from the 57's. Maybe it was a different model from 57 or a year or two in either direction.

Kelly

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 14 years 1 month ago #320

• TallTexan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Kelly
Not much Info, but a lot more then I have found in the last 3 months.
On the Black and white photo. is the decking wood also for it looks about what Steve told me the deck looked like before he pulled it out...two yellowest triangles pointing forward

I was told that Yellow Jacket was one of the boats used on the TV show Flipper

what drew me to YJ was that we had a wooden one when I was very young and in 1969 we bought a Thunderbird. I understand the TB and YJ have some of the same roots. I was able to save the TB when my father wanted to trad in for a newer boat and have it stored till I have time to find a same year motor for it or a 1970 (it came with a 1970 115 Evinrude)

Once I get the first Javelin restored and installed I will post more photos. I am not willing to wait to have both motors restored before I get it out on the water; so I will be doing things in steps

Allan
Attachments:

CAVU

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 14 years 1 month ago #328

• webmaster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
It may have been, but it's more commonly known that a Thunderbird was used.

www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:69thndr003.jpg

Kelly

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 14 years 1 month ago #330

I have the April 1958 issue of "The Boating Industry" magazine on my desk. On page 167 is a full page ad for a 17 ft. fiberglass Yellow Jacket cabin cruiser boat. Kinda cool looking. The company was listed as Yellow Jacket Sales, Inc., P.O. Box 56, Denison, Texas. and they list that they are makers of "Superglass, molded plywood and panel boats".

Also did a quick search at www.newspaperarchive.com about Yellow Jacket Boat Co. No mention of fiberglass boats in articles from April and July 1957, just mention of molded ply boats.

The company plus Theakston Boat co. of Denison, TX were evacuated on 27 May 1957 due to flooding. Yellow Jacket remainded closed on 12 June 1957.

Actor Roy Rogers was named vice president and board chairman of Yellow Jacket on 01 December 1956.

Andreas

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 14 years 1 month ago #335

• TallTexan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Beside the wooden yellow Jacket website this is some of what I found on Yellow Jacket...... It even play Vintage songs for you :laugh:
www.happytrailsforever.com/view/?pageID=270605

When I bought the boat I did not think that I would be hitting a wall like I am.

My Girlfriend Mother lives in Dallas, so next trip up there I may have to make a trip to one of Denison's barber shop as to see if anyone knows anyone that may know anything about the glass boats

CAVU

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 14 years 1 month ago #358

Go over to the brochures/Library and there is a boathouse bulletin on your
Boat.

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 14 years 1 month ago #360

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 14 years 1 month ago #366

Are you certain this boat is a Yellow Jacket? I'm pretty sure it is a Fabuglas. This 1959 Fabulglas was at the Rockton show a few years back.
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 14 years 1 month ago #370

• TallTexan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well looking at the hulls of the two boats and the deck lines there is a big diff.

If the boat is not a Yellow Jacket someone went to a lot work to fake it. The tag with the ser# has Yellow Jacket on it,(barely..worn badly) the title is for a Yellow Jacket and the Ser# does match the title; and first title in 1960..(the first year TX made small boats be title) ...and it is a red on white 14 footer as the title said

I would hope that someone would not go to all that trouble to make a fake...my Girlfriend paid less the $300 for boat motor and trailer...and I have been offered more then 300 for the motor and controls

Allan

CAVU

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 14 years 1 month ago #372

TallTexan wrote:

Well looking at the hulls of the two boats and the deck lines there is a big diff.

If the boat is not a Yellow Jacket someone went to a lot work to fake it. The tag with the ser# has Yellow Jacket on it,(barely..worn badly) the title is for a Yellow Jacket and the Ser# does match the title; and first title in 1960..(the first year TX made small boats be title) ...and it is a red on white 14 footer as the title said

I would hope that someone would not go to all that trouble to make a fake...my Girlfriend paid less the $300 for boat motor and trailer...and I have been offered more then 300 for the motor and controls

Allan

Hi Allan,
I don't think anyone faked it. I was just going by the fin design. I have never seen a fiberglass Yellow Jacket with that style fin before. All the fiberglass Yellow Jackets I have seen had more of a '58 glastron/redfish style fin. I'd love to see a couple more pics of it, especially one from the rear.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re: 1957? glass Yellow Jacket 14 years 1 month ago #375

• TallTexan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I may be able to take photos this weekend . (if the weather clears as they said it will) I am hoping to strip it down as to start restoring it...One of many projects on the plate

I got a 55 hp rude hanging on it as to get it working..I did not have a motor stand that would hold it while working on it (things that one will do for kin)

Thanks
Allan

CAVU

Re: 1957? glass Yellow Jacket 14 years 1 month ago #637

• TallTexan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
So Fri I made a call to Denison CC and was given the email to their city historian. I email her and this is what I got back BTW she miss spell my name :( )

Allen, Contact David Kanally. While he is with wooden boats, he's interested in all Yellow Jacket Boats and might be able to help you. You might also speak to Gene Ramey in Denison, who worked at the Yellow Jacket Boat Company. Fiberglass Boats were made there later and he might be able to help you. I'll copy this message to both so you will have their e-mail addresses.
Hope this helps.
Donna

Then I got this

Allan,
There were a good number of Yellow Jacket fiberglass boats built, in fact, Yellow Jacket had a second fabrication facility outside Denison just for fiberglass boats. I attach a photo of R. A. McDerby, founder of Yellow Jacket Boats, driving a fiberglass Yellow Jacket, probably in 1959. Most wooden Yellow Jackets were marketed directly by the Yellow Jacket Boat Company but, under the brand name Elgin, many were also sold by Sears and Roebuck. The legend goes that a number of fiberglass boats were built by Yellow Jacket and delivered to Sears for sale, but were then found to be defective. The recall of the defective boats was a major contributor to the demise of Yellow Jacket in 1959.

I have seen only a few surviving examples on the internet (eBay). You have something quite rare. If I come across any more photos, I'll send them. It would be very interesting to us if you could send me a few pictures of your boat.

Meanwhile, please visit our website, woodenboatassociation.com , and follow the Yellow Jacket links to learn more about the company. We will be at the Dallas International boat show www.dallasboatshow.net/ at Market Hall (I-35-E at Wycliffe) from Thurs. through Sunday this week, and would welcome a visit with you. We're upstairs near the food court area.

David Kanally

And then this

Allan,
Here is a picture of the Yellow Jacket fiberglass manufacturing facility. I believe the first year it operated was 1957. This photo was taken last winter.
David

CAVU

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 14 years 1 month ago #676

I think I`m going to have to agree with Doug (Classicfins).
The fins on the Black boat are the same as the ones on the
red boat plus the hull split line on the B/W picture doesn`t
match the red boat.

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 14 years 1 month ago #679

• TallTexan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well the jury is still out, however it is leaning toward a Yellow Jacket I now am trying to get in contact with a person that worked with Yellow Jacket in the glass plant.

The wood deck was used on Yellow Jacket the first years (57 and part of 59) BTW the B&W photo is a 1959 16 ft

Here is an email sent to ma after I sent the photos to Gene Ramey

I got to get off of it and go out to the hanger as to take more photos

Allan

Allan,
Based on the photo I sent you, I have every reason to believe the original foredeck was made of mahogany plywood. The "darts" as I call them, on the deck were not inlays, but rather blond-stained areas on the plywood. We replicated that design (with 3 darts in our case, because that's how the 1956's were done), and you can see exactly how we did it in the sequence of photos at: s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff160/warrenpoverty/Chucks%20Yellow%20Jacket/?start=100

There are 9 pages of photos on that site covering our entire restoration. Many early fiberglass manufacturers used wood on their decks, and Yellow Jacket's "darts" were a trademark look, and would look funny if done in fiberglass. I do not recommend birch or any other wood except mahogany plywood for this purpose. The best bet is 6mm 5-ply mahogany marine BS 1088 plywood. You'll pay dearly, but this is no place to save money...we used "Joubert" brand, made in France, and were delighted with its quality. $110 a sheet at www.westwindhardwood.com/price_marine_ply.php .

For stain, we used Sandusky Paint's "Chris Craft Corina Blonde" and "Chris Craft Mahogany" www.sanpaco.com/showcat.asp?catid=93&SubCatID=542
These are both filler stains and tend to seep less than oily stains do along mask lines. Do the blond parts first, rub well, let dry at least 24 hours, then mask over the blond and stain the mahogany up to the tape line. Be sure to rub well right next to the tape to avoid a ridge that could later smear. For good measure, we used a spray clear sealer over the darts before we started varnishing with brushes, to avoid smearing one color over the other. Ideally, you should spray the first coat of varnish as well.

David

CAVU

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 13 years 6 months ago #14142

The original wooden Yellow Jacket boat was designed by my father, Naval Architect Richard C. Cole, who later went on to design many fiberglass boats including the early Thunderbird boats.

Mike R. Cole

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 13 years 5 months ago #17080

The boat showed in the pictures is not Fabuglas. It is a 1959 14" runabout Yellow Jacket. I have one like this and it is exactly like this different color.

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 13 years 5 months ago #17085

• TallTexan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
juanbuenavida wrote:

The boat showed in the pictures is not Fabuglas. It is a 1959 14" runabout Yellow Jacket. I have one like this and it is exactly like this different color.

Is the decking on the bow of your boat wood?

Do you have any photos of the inside as for me to see what the seats were like...They striped mine out and put in plywood benches

I also just picked up a 56 wood Yellow Jacket yesterday

CAVU

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 13 years 5 months ago #17302

I am refering to the pictures showing the "1959 Fabulglas that was at the Rockton show. I am restoring one. I am attaching two pictures. I am new but I enjoyed very much learning about runabout boats in this forum. Hope I do not make mistake attaching the pictures. It is my first time.
Attachments:

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 13 years 5 months ago #17309

• kajun
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
TallTexan wrote:

Talltexan...what is the brand name of that trailer...I have one but can't find anything on it.

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 13 years 5 months ago #17342

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 13 years 5 months ago #17343

• TallTexan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
It is a Husky

From one of the men that worked for Yellow Jacket "The Husky was the original trailer offered by Yellow Jacket as part of the Yellow Jacket package by dealers"

As I understand it Husky was a co here in TX

I have found a place on line that you can get a spare hub and bearings

CAVU

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 13 years 5 months ago #17353

tallTexan, concerning the seats mine did not have the seats but i am attaching a picture of the deck before I removed. This give me an idea of what kind of seats they had.
Attachments:

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 13 years 5 months ago #17363

• TallTexan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
WOW your id so much Dif then mine. Mine is open most of the way down to the V and has places for stripping. The dash is wood as is the deck. The seat was mounted on wood springs like on the wood boats.

I wished I could take photos as to post, however that project has been pushed back as to get repairs done on the wood Yellow Jacket before things get worst and I took the glass YJ to the lake house for storage...You know ...HOAs and boats

CAVU

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34560

I also have a 1959 yellow Jacket fiberglass boat that I am restoring.
I was wondering what the Recall was for?

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34562

The two pictures I have are from glass boats. The JB is mine that I have not started to work because of the allergies. I will like to see more pictures if it is possible. Is yours also a glass boat?

Juan B.
Attachments:

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34563

Here is the JB.
Attachments:

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34588

it is here are some pictures

this is what it looked like when i first found it

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34592

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34594

Attachments:

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34596

Attachments:

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34597

Attachments:

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34599

Attachments:

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34600

Attachments:

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34606

I have been working on this boat and this is where I currently am. [img/] [img/]

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34607

Attachments:

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34609

Attachments:

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34612

Hy there this is my 1959 Yellow Jacket.

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34613

Attachments:

Re:1957? glass Yellow Jacket 12 years 9 months ago #34614

just wondering if any one knows the reason for the yellow jacket recall of fiberglass boats?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.363 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)