Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Chrysler motor? Are they good?

Chrysler motor? Are they good? 14 years 1 month ago #2743

I was told about a old late 60s early 70's Chrysler outboard in my town. The former owner told me it was runnign great when he sold the boat a year ago. The new owner is puting a evinrude on the boat so I may be able to pick up the Chrysler for cheap.

I plan on using this boat every weekend while its nice. Fishing and just plan boating. 7 LAKES WIHT IN A HOUR OF MY HOUSE :blush: So it is going to be used.

As my budget is small :side: My question is were Chrylser motors good?
What do I need to look at when I go look at the motor?
How hard are they to work on ?
How easy are parts to get?

Should pass over this and save up my money?

Have been looking at a 1960 80 hp Merc. but have been reading a book about old outboards and how to keep them runing. The author now has me convinced that is not what I need.

Would realy like a OMC motor but having trouble finding one.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Chrysler motor? Are they good? 14 years 1 month ago #2745

I love Chryslers. They are simple to work on, most parts available through NAPA. Usually if you find a Chrysler and it has no spark, the culprit is the electronics box. Seems like they are about 200-275 bucks new, or you can usually find them on ebay. Most people will tell you to stay away from Chryslers and that they suck, but let me go out and count how many dead Mercurys and OMC's I have around the shop. The number of dead ones vs live ones is about the same on all the brands.
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Chrysler motor? Are they good? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2894

There was nothing inherently wrong with the old Chryslers. The issue now days is parts availability for some of the consumables like waterpump impellers, carb kits, ignition components, etc. Not unavailable, but you might have to search around for them. If you're handy you can probably tinker with it and make it reliable - IF it is a solid motor to begin with. They were basic motors and as such are fairly easy to work on - nothing complicated in their construction. Like most things of older vintage, it's only as good as the care it has been given over the years. If it was abused back then it makes it that more difficult to get it going now...

Three things to bring with you - a large flat blade screwdriver (to check the lower unit oil), a 13/16" spark plug wrench and a compression gauge. Compression should be even between the cylinders, no more than a 5% variance, and preferably above 100 psi in each hole. Gauges vary from gauge to gauge so there aren't any set and true readings...

- Scott

Re:Chrysler motor? Are they good? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2896

Chinewalker wrote:

There was nothing inherently wrong with the old Chryslers. The issue now days is parts availability for some of the consumables like waterpump impellers, carb kits, ignition components, etc. Not unavailable, but you might have to search around for them........

I've bought all of my impellers, carb kits, and fuel pump kits through NAPA. Seems like I bought lower unit seals through NAPA too.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Chrysler motor? Are they good? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2898

I bumped into a guy in MN last summer with a 64 (I think) Chrysler on a old 60's FG something... not sure what the boat was.

He couldn't keep her running, I asked him about the carb/float, and he said he had been trying to find a carb kit, or at least a float, for months.

I mentioned NAPA and he said they couldn't get it.

Just noteworthy is all. Like anything old.

As long as it runs...
I'd check compression for sure....
Also, I'd pull the model/serial and check around for parts availability before making my decision.

Of course a guy could always get crafty and sift through other floats and whatnot until he found something he could make work.

Are the floats in the 60's-70's plastic or metal in those?
Not sure about ability to patch the plastic ones,
but brass floats can always be cleaned and brazed...

I just mention the floats, cause they almost always seem to be an issue on older motors who's carbs have not been rebuilt.

Re:Chrysler motor? Are they good? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2901

Thanks for all the advise guys. Been chasing the strippers / hybrids with my buddy on his parents pontoon . But we want to get mine on the water bad before summer gets here. Its all ready in the 70's during the day :ohmy: . Will proly go take at motor on Friday.

Hey doug are all those your boats or ones you have worked on . Well there very nice looking ones anyways.

Thanks again
Matthew

Re:Chrysler motor? Are they good? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2905

LakeLBJ TX Maid wrote:

Hey doug are all those your boats or ones you have worked on . Well there very nice looking ones anyways.

Thanks again
Matthew

They are all mine.. just a few of the heard unfortunately. lol BTW, here's a great source for anything Chrysler marine related... www.chryslercrew.com/

Doug

Re:Chrysler motor? Are they good? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2908

The chryslers were good / easy to work on. They lacked a bit in high speed / high load reliability.
So if you want to just put around and run at no more than 3/4 throttle they work fine. Finding parts is just a matter of being persistant and showing some cash.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7378 guests and no members online