TOPIC: 1962 Crestliner Del Rio Advice

1962 Crestliner Del Rio Advice 14 years 2 weeks ago #2410

• DelRio62
  • DelRio62's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I am a new memeber and have recently purchased a 1962 Crestliner Del Rio Imperial.Does anyone out there have any advice on things to look for on this boat regarding restoration. It had been stored inside for roughly 30 years but spent some time outside. The hull shows no signs of cracking and all original parts appear (accoriding to the image shown in the 1962 catalogue) are present. I did notice however that when i tilted the hull upwards to drain some surface water that there was water coming from the transom end from under the decking... How can I verify structural integrity and transom strength.

It came with a year unknown Evinrude Starflite 100-S vintage motor (mounted). I will post images of the actual motor shortly, but attach a somewhat cool 1967 ad for the engine when released and of course, a James Bond movie poster with the engine shown.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this engine? I would really like to restore it but have no manuals nor do I know if parts and service if I elect not to delve into the repair myself are available. Any thoughts on performance, reliability, etc - it's a great looking period piece and suits the boat so I would like to get it back on the water but need to know a little about its history..

Any advice would be most appreciated - I'm in Toronto Canada .

Very pleased to be part of this fine owners club !

Matthew

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1962 Crestliner Del Rio Advice 14 years 2 weeks ago #2416

Not too sure about the transom and sringers but the 100S
in my opinion is a very reliable and strong motor.Parts are
readily available and they are fairly easy to work on.Depending
on the year of your motor,it may have the electric shift
lower unit,some folks are wary of this but I have had quite a
few of these and they were very reliable and great running.
Anyways,thats my 2 cents,lots of luck and have a great day.
Jack in AZ

Re:1962 Crestliner Del Rio Advice 14 years 2 weeks ago #2417

• DelRio62
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Jack, Many thanks. Good to hear positive things about the motor as it is a beauty - it is one of the Selectric shift models. You wouldn't know where I might find a service/repair manual by any chance?

Thanks for taking the time to respond,

best,

Matthew

Re:1962 Crestliner Del Rio Advice 14 years 2 weeks ago #2423

• spanboatsguy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Matt,
Check Ebay for the manuals and they have ads up all the time for those motors. I have a green and white 1962 Crestliner Del Rio 16' Imperial at the museum that I plan on using this summer as a lake boat. I will attach some pics of her she is just like the brochure as you will see.
Cowboy
Attachments:

Re:1962 Crestliner Del Rio Advice 14 years 2 weeks ago #2424

• DelRio62
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
At the museum ;-) You seem to be an expert at all this Cowboy!

Did you restore yours - any images and pointers I might get from you on the process? Checked out your profile and images - you have some stunning boats - how long you been doing this?

The catalogue image you included shows my version in the bottom left corner - mist grey and snowshoe white i belive they call it. Fell in love as soon as I saw it - the guy just wanted it out of his yard... suspect i got a deal for $400.

Good to hear there's someone else out there with the same year and model - who is also apprently really good at this new venture of mine ;-)

Cheers,

Matthew

Re:1962 Crestliner Del Rio Advice 14 years 2 weeks ago #2516

• spanboatsguy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Matt
I would not call myself a Expert well not yet lets give it about 10 more years for that. I have been doing this collecting for 30 years but only the last 2 have I gone off the deep end with this museum thing. I have invested a bunch of money in my hobby to say the least. I have 70 boats here at any given time and over 100 motors of all kinds, well bigger HP ones that is. My boat is not restored its as found. I plan on having some interior work done to some of the seats that have ware but its going in the water this spring with a buff job and thats about it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)