Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: American Marc Stardust/Heydon Hydrodyne

American Marc Stardust/Heydon Hydrodyne 14 years 1 month ago #2392

Hi all ,

My boats has had the gunnel rubber replaced with garden hose that has been split with a knife . I'm looking to replace it . I was wondering if anyone had a picture or the dimensions of the original rubber or moulding .
Is the original like what's on the transom , gotta get rid of the yellow stuff!

Cheers , Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:American Marc Stardust/Heydon Hydrodyne 14 years 1 month ago #2394

Heres a picture
Attachments:

Re:American Marc Stardust/Heydon Hydrodyne 14 years 1 month ago #2399

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Steve, If you will "google" rub rail kits, you'll find a plethora of possibilities! (lots of options) :)

Mark

Re:American Marc Stardust/Heydon Hydrodyne 14 years 1 month ago #2400

It's difficult to see in the photos provided but the top to bottom joint appears to be a lip joint; essentially two flat surfaces that meet and are either stapled or screwed together. If that is the case, then WEFCO Rubber's die #1/2G should work. They have several different sizes they can fax cross sections to you. The 1/2G fits the Custom Craft Manta Ray, which is also a lip joint.
Attachments:

Re:American Marc Stardust/Heydon Hydrodyne 14 years 1 month ago #2460

Thanks for your help guys , It is a lip joint{sounds sexy] We definitely don't have the range of choice you guys have down here , but I have a great starting point now .

Steve

Re:American Marc Stardust/Heydon Hydrodyne 14 years 1 month ago #2472

If the boat uses an aluminum rail around the seam you may want to check Taco Marine. They manufacture several styles of rub rail moldings. You can visit theirwebsite and find the styles, dimensions, etc, but you have to order it through retail outlets such as Boat US, etc. www.tacomarine.com

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:American Marc Stardust/Heydon Hydrodyne 14 years 1 month ago #2523

Does anyone know what the Stardust had on the gunnels originally , would it have been aluminium in the earlier sixties?
I must admit that I like the thought of aluminium strip just for the fact that its screwed on .

Steve

Re:American Marc Stardust/Heydon Hydrodyne 14 years 1 month ago #2552

You gotta' admit, the hose is an economical alternative!

Your Stardust originally had an aluminum U channel bump rail along the seam of the hull. This was a bullnose trim about 5/8" to 3/4" inches deep. There were barbs inside the channel to make it hold in place. The top and bottom hull are bonded, so the channel was not structural. The channel ran to the bow, and disappeared under the center bow aluminum casting. At the end of the hull, there were little cast aluminum caps that fit over the channel to terminate it. The upper portion of the boat had a molded cap that covered the top of the transom. at the outer edge the transom had a 90 degree corner bead of aluminum about 5/8" X 5/8" that was formed to the contour. This was held in place with rivits.

Re:American Marc Stardust/Heydon Hydrodyne 14 years 1 month ago #2557

Thanks for that Bruce ,

The hose is economical alright ,just has a tendency to to blow off when you go through rough water!
And she'll never get it back for the garden either .
I have a much better idea now as to which way to go , I just have to see what's available in Aus.

Thanks for the help ,

Steve

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8309 guests and 3 members online