• Page:

TOPIC: original boat color

original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2304

• TNriver
  • TNriver's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
dose anyone know if it effects the value of the boat if you change it from its original color?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2306

It's a loaded question. If you're thinking of making a killing after restoration and being judged to ACBS standards, of course it does. And good luck with that. If you're looking to do the boat over the way you want it, it doesn't matter a hoot. Make it like you want it. That said, it sounds very flip. It is. YOU have to decide what you want. If you're showing and trying to get top dollar for a restoration, yes, it needs to be as original as possible. If you want it nice and the way YOU would have built it, have at it.

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2307

depends who the buyer is.
Attachments:

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2309

Attachments:

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2310

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
crosbyboat and vuyosevich pretty well said it all, TN. Some folks are into exact restorations, which is probably where the higher value comes in for resale. Many of those projects shown here turn out BETTER than the factory did it, I swear. Some of us prefer customizing to fit our own particular tastes, following the "different strokes for different folks" analogy. Some take a happy medium. Either way, it's more about the quality of your workmanship, and whatever pleases YOU in my humble opinion.

Mark

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2312

Ron's boat is a good example. It's nothing like stock Custom Craft. That would be point deductions at an ACBS judged show. If you like what Ron did with the boat, great. But if you want original, that was an all off white boat orginally. So value wize, it's what you're willing to pay for. For me, the paint job doesn't do anything for me. That's not a slam. If I was judging a show this boat was in, the custom paint job would cost a number of deduction points. I'm not into changes from the original. I'm not knocking it cuz it's not my boat. I would just caution when you try to sell it, the discerning buyer will be looking for original, not custom, if you want top dollar.

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2317

Nobody's asked - what boat?
Most of the classics that we come into aren't "valuable" boats.
You're lucky if they bring their restoration cost - most don't. If the boat in question isn't a Top Tier specimen you have little to loose making it to your liking.

Peter
Who likes them pretty much stock
in Denver

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2318

i'd say the majority would be satisfied with the original color, (in my case white) i'm just one who wasn't.
Attachments:

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2324

When I get a boat I sit back and look at it and say to myself "what colors would look best on this one" Then I ask myself "Does anyone else have one like it that color?" Then, if someone has one already done in the color of my first choice I ask myself "Do I want it the same as the other guy's, or do I want to pick another color scheme?"

Doesn't matter to me if it hurts the value or not, because unless it is a VERY rare and desirable boat, you're going to be hard pressed to lose enough value to be able to tell. Plus I build mine to enjoy and use, not trophy hunt, so I am not worried about points.

You also have to remember that changing the factory color or paint scheme sometimes increases the value of a boat at resale time. I have owned two Razorback Furys.. Both were originally solid red. I painted the first one white & red. The difference in appeal is like night and day. When I do my second one it will NOT be solid red as original. Too bland and boring for me.... Main thing to remember is to choose what you want. It's your baby.

Now post some pics!
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2335

thats exactly what i thought doug when i first saw the mantaray. "BORING AND BLAND"..my only regret was re-installing the side trim. if i were to do over that would be silver paint.
Attachments:

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2336

I like the color of your boat Ron, much better than what it originally looked like. Of course, I am nowhere near connoisseur level for much of anything...

My Power Cat will be original colors, but customized with a shaved deck and a taller transom and custom splash pan. Most folks won't know the difference, except for the motor, which is not even close to what a restoration freak would desire.

Different folks, different strokes.

Frank

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2346

I also like cutom colors on some non-show boats. If I had kept my boat, this was 'the plan'. Basic yellow with black racing stripes just wasn't good 'nuff hehe

Long live photoshop. :)
Attachments:

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2358

Love the blended yellows on your Glastron. About 20 years ago I painted a Glastron GT160 for a guy. We did the hull in jet black but did the deck in yellow at the nose fading to orange, and then fading to red at the rear. Then we started at the rear of the hull and painted a modified version of the classic glastron scheme on the hull. Red, fading to orage, and then to yellow and ran it all the way foward to right about under the windshield area. It was very close to the factory style layout, just blended colors and stretched a bit.

He had a 135 or so Merc on the rear. He did the interior in yellow carpet, and yellow seats with orange inserts. Steering wheel, grab handles, gauge bezels etc were all done in red. The windshield was tinted almost solid black. We painted the trailer orange with black carpeted bunks and steps, and pinstriped it in red & yellow. I took a ton of pictures of the build on 35mm film, but never got them delevoped. I still have the rolls here somewhere. I may try to find them and get them developed. If they are any good after all these years... :unsure:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2360

I'd love to see it. Email me any time if you ever get it developed. Heck, you can mail me the roll and I'll get it developed :)

Back on topic....

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2372

Unless you are doing something that is a rare find or you want to do a full bore restoration, probably not. In my case, I have two boats. The Custom Craft I am keeping original, except for a few upgrades for preservation (i.e replace steel screws with stainless) Any color work will definitely be a match. My Tomahawk Spirit is my "every day" boat. Because of some things done by a previous owner, it would never be a great restoration, but is a good solid classic rebuild. I kept the red and white because I liked it, but would have considered changing it had I not.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2373

Unless you are doing something that is a rare find or you want to do a full bore restoration, probably not. In my case, I have two boats. The Custom Craft I am keeping original, except for a few upgrades for preservation (i.e replace steel screws with stainless) Any color work will definitely be a match. My Tomahawk Spirit is my "every day" boat. Because of some things done by a previous owner, it would never be a great restoration, but is a good solid classic rebuild. I kept the red and white because I liked it, but would have considered changing it had I not.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:original boat color 14 years 1 month ago #2380

• TNriver
  • TNriver's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I didnt really want to flip it, but also didnt want to kill any value it may have. The original color of my Dorsett ElRay was pretty close to orange and white and I didnt want it to look like the flagship for the Vol navy. Its probably going to be blue and white when im done

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7499 guests and 3 members online