Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Clamping a transom

Clamping a transom 14 years 1 month ago #2073

Started working on the transom of my 59 Glastron & would like some input on clamping. I'm considering fabricating some deep clamps to reach down to the bottom of the transom. I suppose screws through the glass & then patching the holes would work too. What works for you guys?
Thanks
Bill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Clamping a transom 14 years 1 month ago #2078

Bill I used the clamps on top, drywall screws on the bottom method on my Hydrostream. Worked fine and I took some bamboo skewers my wife had and filled the screw holes with resin and drove in the skewers. They fit perfect. She never missed them either.... :laugh:

Bernie

Re:Clamping a transom 14 years 1 month ago #2080

I used drywall screws on mine for the whole thing, as I built a custom standard shaft transom to replace the stock short shaft one, and didn't really have a place to clamp on the top anyways. I forget how I filled the holes, but after sanding flat and smooth, and then applying 6 coats of epoxy paint I think it will be fine.

Frank
Attachments:

Re:Clamping a transom 14 years 1 month ago #2096

I made a second transom out of exterior grade plywood & clamped it to the outside of the hull. I figured this would give a smooth void free even surface when the cloth & resin dried. Harborfreight tools sells 12” deep metal clamps for $10.99 each. I used them on my boat. They worked really well!I also had cut the floor so the transom fit between the floor & hull that way it was tight to the bottom as well

Attachments:

Re:Clamping a transom 14 years 1 month ago #2223

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
lets see if this will work, notice how I used 2x4 wood and c clamps to make the deep expention for the bottom, it was so strong then I had fire wood for winter,,,,,.......Mike PS i MADE IT INTO A LONG SHAFT TRANSOM TOOOOOOO....
Attachments:

Re:Clamping a transom 14 years 1 month ago #2227

Mike, have you figured out what you're gonna do for a splash pan or do you even need one? When I converted the Power Cat from a short to a long shaft transom I had to make a new splash pan. I put 2 horizontal cross braces across my transom and carefully rested a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" (I forget) in the remaining curve of the old cut-put splash pan, and then rested it on the top cross brace and glassed it all together. It seems to have worked great. I believe it will really give the transom a lot more strength.

Looks like you're doing great!

Frank

Re:Clamping a transom 14 years 1 month ago #2230

Here's some pics of the clamps that Bill ended up building. Very nice indeed!
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Clamping a transom 14 years 1 month ago #2231

I'll tell you what, "those clamps are killer."
Always thought scissor jacks were worthless.
They are perfect for this application
Nice work, and a great idea

lar

Re:Clamping a transom 14 years 1 month ago #2235

Just sat down to reply to this thread, and I see Doug beat me to it!! Thanks Doug ( I'm not being sarcastic)
The clamps worked very well. This is my first boat restoration, but looking in my back yard, it obviously won't be my last, so I thought it worthwhile to spend the time on some good clamps.
Added bonus, when I was done, I had a great piece of wall art!
Attachments:

Re:Clamping a transom 14 years 1 month ago #2334

LOL..

Love the wall art Bill... I've had a few of those myself over the years.
The transom's looking great. Keep those progress pics coming!

Doug :laugh:
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7379 guests and no members online