Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Power Cat - sort of...

Power Cat - sort of... 14 years 3 weeks ago #1914

As some of you may know, my boating interest has started to encompass R/C stuff as well. With a limited budget, I've had to improvise a bit.

Looking for a unique micro R/C rig, I decided to use this hull, which I bought over 10 years ago off eBay. It is an old Fleet Line hull (not sure what it was called) that originally came with a pair of plastic Johnson 40hp motors. It originally came with a cabin portion, which mine was missing. It is about 11-3/4 inches long.

The motor is a 1990s era Mercury, made by Nylint toys. They are cheaply made and very common on eBay. The two main issues with these motors are the cheap electric motor and the poor meshing of the gears. I have a brand new one of them that still doesn't engage the gears properly! I split the casing and made a nylon bushing for the propshaft to shim the gears closer together for better engagement. I then went about upgrading the copper brushes to carbon brushes to allow the motor to take more juice. It was originally designed to run on about 3V, but mine should take up to 7.5. This, I hope, will be enough to plane off the boat. I will be using a Lithium Polymer (LiPo) 7.4V battery to start, and if it works well with that, I'll add a micro servo and receiver to make it remotely controllable.

I'm not up on my Power Cat, or cats in general, but I thought this one looked pretty sharp.... I just hope it goes!! The 6V AA pack I ran it on in the tub did alright, but not quite planing speed. The LiPo battery is about the size of a matchbook and weighs about the same, which will take several ounces out of the boat.

- Scott
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Power Cat - sort of... 14 years 3 weeks ago #1915

Wow! really cool.. It looks just like one of the old wooden Powercats...
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Power Cat - sort of... 14 years 3 weeks ago #1917

Wow! Thanks for the ad! The Fleet-Line model is just about a bang-on copy of the real thing! If I can get it to perform, I will likely dress it up a bit to make up for the missing parts.

- Scott

Re:Power Cat - sort of... 14 years 3 weeks ago #1924

Cool pics Scott. I hope you continue to post more images of your toys. You are a master-collector in everything you do. Keep it up!

Re:Power Cat - sort of... 14 years 3 weeks ago #1930

• spanboatsguy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey you really should join the Yahoo Toy outboard website too they have lots of cool stuff like this and would love your project. I will put up a couple of cases of my toys at the museum for ya to check out. I have a bunch of cool stuff but collecting the K/O stuff is pricy. I like your project and have yet to see anyone do a PC yet.
Cowboy
Attachments:

Re:Power Cat - sort of... 14 years 3 weeks ago #1947

Hey Cowboy,
I've been a member of Bob McD's group since he started. Thanks!
- Scott

Re:Power Cat - sort of... 14 years 3 weeks ago #1948

Here's a video of the motor running...
www.dailymotion.com/video/xcf4qu_nylint-mercury-xr4-toy-outboard-mod_tech
I just ordered a tiny servo and will be geting the 7.4V pack & charger soon. If it gets close, but not quite over the hump, I may modify a second motor to run twins!
- Scott

Re:Power Cat - sort of... 14 years 3 weeks ago #1988

Chinewalker - I'm liking it. With salt and lime please. :P

Re:Power Cat - sort of... 14 years 3 weeks ago #2002

Brian - this would churn up one mean margaraita, although I think I'd have to substitute a stainless steel prop! "Boat drinks. Waitress I need two more boat drinks..."
- Scott

Re:Power Cat - sort of... 14 years 1 week ago #2893

I got a few bugs ironed out of the motor (burned up an electric motor and broke two motor to driveshaft couplings) and now she runs great! Scoots right along when I'm not pulling it around to keep it from banging into stuff!

Next step is to add R/C gear - a servo, receiver and speed control. Will keep you posted!

Would this one be referred to as a Power Cat .91C? :P :laugh: (Okay, to those who didn't get it, Power Cats have the length, in feet in the model number - mine is 11-inches, or .91 feet, give or take)

Here's a video of it running this morning! Please forgive my editing...
Nylint Merc on Power Cat Toy Boat
- Scott

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)