Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: EATON STERNDRIVE

EATON STERNDRIVE 13 years 6 months ago #17986

Does anyone have a photo of an Eaton Stern drive "series 14" or "Series 16"? or perhaps any information on either of the two units? Mine has the shifter cable that goes through the center of top cover and attaches to the shift lever in center of the unit and i just need to identify the series or model. The Eaton Powernaut and powernaut b apparently has the shifter lever attached to the side of the unit..among other differences. any help is appreciated.
thanks
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:EATON STERNDRIVE 13 years 6 months ago #18064

Here are some pictures of mine series 16 let me know if you want a differnt view. Hope this helps.

Re:EATON STERNDRIVE 13 years 6 months ago #18082

Chris,
My servers are blocking your photos. Perhaps you can send them to my email as attachments. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
appreciate the photos!
Steve

Re:EATON STERNDRIVE 13 years 6 months ago #18110

Chris, thanks for sharing these photos. i was able to see them from my home system. your drive appears to be exactly what i have. i thought i had the powernaut drive but that was an earlier drive apparently. i really appreciate the help here. i noticed that you have some brackets welded to it...was wondering about that. also wondering how you like the drive unit in general? I bought a 64 dorsett about a month ago and it came with the Interceptor (221) and this outdrive unit. motor is good but the upper unit of the drive (where the shaft and posterior to the universal) seems ceased up - has been sitting for 25+ years. gears look clean though. hoping to lube it up and dismantle it to see if i can get it functioning again.
Steve

Re:EATON STERNDRIVE 13 years 6 months ago #18114

chris,
one other question, What is the top cable i see coming through the transom that is just above the red reverse shifter cable? mine is missing that cable and not sure what it is. thanks again
steve

Re:EATON STERNDRIVE 13 years 6 months ago #18117

stvgrncpo wrote:

chris,
one other question, What is the top cable i see coming through the transom that is just above the red reverse shifter cable? mine is missing that cable and not sure what it is. thanks again
steve

That's the lift-cable for the power tilt...

Steve... did you get my e-mail with the pictures?
Attachments:

Re:EATON STERNDRIVE 13 years 6 months ago #18118

Mine was mated to a 1964 Ford 260 in a 1965 Sabre Craft. Unfornantly I never got it in the water before I tore it apart (transome issue).
The pervious owner ran around the islands in Lake Erie as a cabin boat, swore it'd do 60 and scare the heck out ya.
The CABLE is for an after market lift cylinder for tilt - trim. I'll see what pictures I can dig up. The most recent one is a background shot if you look up to the left of the clock you can see the outdrive on the shelf. The sabre craft to the left and my Lone Star waiting for paint. Wish the Sabre Craft had FINS I would of put it higher on the list.

Re:EATON STERNDRIVE 13 years 5 months ago #18322

Ray,
Good news this weekend. I was able to free up all gears and bearings on the drive, remove the old gear lube in the lower unit cleaned the gears and bearings, repacked them and now ready to make some gaskets for reassembly. Love it when things progress with few to no snags. I just got online first time since last thursday, im gonna go to my email and check out the pics you sent right now. Again, thankyou tremendously for helping me through this project. never restored a boat before, pretty cool.

Re:EATON STERNDRIVE 13 years 5 months ago #18324

Hi Chris,
I'll check out the pics you sent here shortly. I was able to get my drive moving this past weekend. got 'er lubed up and getting ready to put 'er back together. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Re:EATON STERNDRIVE 13 years 5 months ago #18325

Steve,
Did you get a manual for it? If not I believe I have it at the shop I could scan it for you or just make copies.
Chris

Re:EATON STERNDRIVE 13 years 5 months ago #18374

Thanks Chris. I just orded the manual last week. hadn't received it yet in the mail though. Thanks for trying to save me the 30 bucks but i dont think i can cancel the oreder now.

What do you know about the Volvo Penta 110? Was wondering if that unit is compatible or easy swap with the Eaton of our series? i noticed that unit is mentioned in the Powernaut manual on a "service bulletin" in 1963 but it appears they may have had their own Volvo motor and perhaps were not used with the Interceptor. Was wondering if it was an easy slipping out the eaton from the Interceptor and sliding in the Volvo-Penta drive with the Intercptor.

Steve

Re:EATON STERNDRIVE 13 years 5 months ago #18378

I'm not to fimiler with these out drives. I sold my Custom Craft Sun Ray this summer with a West Bend Shark "O" Matic drive on it another rare one. That's kinda why I got into the outboards, easy to swap and trade. Heck my 40hp Johnson was on 2 of my boats and my Uncles pontoon on the same weekend.
Keep me posted on your progress, I have a baby due the 23rd Nov. and I want to get the Winner started and finished by spring then maybe the Sabre Craft. That's if I don't find something else first like the Volksboat on ebay Ebay link

Re:EATON STERNDRIVE 13 years 5 months ago #18398

Chris, you've got some fun projects going on there in the garage i see. nice setup. ive seen some pictures of the volksboats, they're pretty neat. im gonna yank the motor from the dorsett this weekend i hope that is if weather holds out. the boat is too large to get under the 8ft door on its trailer and i want to get it on a stand so i can look it over, clean it up and just check things out on it.

Re:EATON STERNDRIVE 13 years 5 months ago #18399

I seen your thread on the interceptor, mine has a '63 260

I got a set of big valve heads and a 4 bbl set-up for her. I was able to get just about anything new I needed from Napa.

"you've got some fun projects going on there in the garage"

Too Many, I've only shown boats on this forum, I'm a mechanic so just about anything with a motor gives me this warm fuzzy feeling. 4 Wheelers and dirt bikes has been a part of my life since I was four.

2008 Kawaski KFX 450R

Re:EATON STERNDRIVE 13 years 5 months ago #18424

Chris,
Thanks, Im not a mechanic but it sure if fun to tinker around with this stuff. i find myself putsing around the thing for hours anticipating the thing out on the lake. I am really looking forward to hearing what it sounds like - wide open! No mufflers on it. This is the first boat i've engrossed myself in thanks to a friend that has a couple of them. just wondering what is your recommended step-by-step process to bring this 221 motor back to life? A few weeks ago i pulled the plugs and squirted a bunch of WD40 in each of the chambers and reinstalled the plugs. havent done a thing since but getting ready to. the only guage on the instrument panel is the Tach and the glass is cracked on that. all other guages are missing. Interesting in hearing your thoughts. Again, thanks sharing advice.
Steve

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)