Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Even if you're not interested -

Even if you're not interested - 14 years 2 months ago #1566

This little video is worth watching, even if you aren't looking for a motor.

www.youtube.com/user/oldboatclub

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Even if you're not interested - 14 years 2 months ago #1589

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Someone spent alot of time and money on that,but I'd say it was worth it. What was the boat? jim

Re:Even if you're not interested - 14 years 1 month ago #1601

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good one Bruce, thanks! Interesting noting some of the designs on that engine that carried over to my '73 Johnson V4 too.

Question: Would powder coating be an option on the lower unit? I'm a "why fix it up if you're not going to use it" kinda person, and it seems such a shame to spend all that time and effort repainting, to have it peel or wear off.

Mark

Re:Even if you're not interested - 14 years 1 month ago #1621

Mark,

I've considered it in the past, but have come to the decision that it dosen't make sense. Powdercoat is expensive, and you can't repair it the way you can with paint. Powdercoat does get scratched, chipped, gouged, just like paint does. So in this case, it doesn't have any advantage over paint. Powdercoat is great for wheels, frames, etc. because it holds up and protects better on those things.

Just my opinion though...

Re:Even if you're not interested - 14 years 1 month ago #1622

Very nice job on the motor! Good price too. I actually have the same one for my boat, just with sea king emblems. Where did you find all of those replacement parts? I’m looking for a few things for my motor. Also about how much fuel does it use per hour under moderate throttle?

Re:Even if you're not interested - 14 years 1 month ago #1623

Thanks, considering the work it takes to restore one - I think the price is reasonable.

If you need parts contact me via my ad in the glassifieds. I've been collecting parts for these engines for a long time. You can also keep your eye on ebay & go to all your local dealers asking if they have any old obsolete parts they want to sell.

The fuel economy can be greatly inmpoved if you can find a vintage aftermarket prop that is more efficient. These can be very hard to find. Last June I ran this motor with a 13pitch 2 blade at 20 miles per hour for almost 2 hours on 6gal of gasoline. Covered about 35 miles of water. That is incredible for one of these. The trick is to get the rpms down without lugging the motor.

With a standard 10pitch OMC/Michigan prop, at full throttle, this engine will tear through 6 gallons in about 50 minutes. Do the math on that one.....

Re:Even if you're not interested - 14 years 1 month ago #1863

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
BG - Just wondered about the powder coating, I know they use it a lot now days on the automotive stuff, just a thought. You're right it would be a pain to repair or redo...

Interesting post on the prop deal, I know the Merc700 on my Cutter will burn 6 gal of gas in less than three hours! Maybe after getting all the doctor and hospital bills caught up I'll check into a higher pitched prop.

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6575 guests and no members online