Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #16638

The only shame I see is how many people cannot afford their right to life in this country. A kidney stone cost us without insurance was $5K(30 minute job) with insurance it cost over $15K and 1K out of our pocket. Insurance companies are sending families overseas 1st class for surgery and still saving 60%. Don't get me started on vets, I've heard in this thread it is much better than after the Gulf War.

A friend stopped by the other day spittin' sand. Like me he's fed up with the direction the country is going. He bought some land in TN to retire and live off the grid. He had just found out that TN has started using revenuers again to catch country people using the barter system to make ends meet and collect the income taxes. If your neighboe gives you a basket of corn to say thanx for helpin' fix his tractor it better be declaired on your taxes.

Our insurance jumped to over $20K a year here. 2/1 house under 1000 sq ft(structure only $500 a month!), 1 car & medical insurance (thousands in deductables an co-pays). The same insurances in Brazil will be under 5K a year and ZERO out of pocket costs.

Welcome to America where you free to do exactly as your told.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #16639

I'm with ya there 101% cat!! That's is why I moved out to the ozark boonies earlier this year, end goal being "off the grid" like your friend ASAP! But I'm not gonna get started on that subject (barely reined myself in on that earlier post!LOL!) cause I'll get lost off on that tangent easily. John .. honestly, I dunno how much it'll cost ... maybe a good bit, it's in bad shape (stringers,transom,floor,etc..). I dunno jack about restoring these babies ... hence the 3 glassics I own in need! LOL! That's why I came to FG, to learn how. BUT, at least with this cadet it doesn't matter so much if we have a free hand to not care about perfection in restoration correctness. That's gotta count for alot in reducing the price tag. Just an option, though granted, not an amazing one, it's all I got, sorry. PS, Like I said before, concerning folks respect. Only worry about folks whos respect means something .. if they'd dock ya a karma point for this, theirs aint worth much.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #16643

All good points, but let's not continue with the political chat which could result in the thread getting shut down. Back to the boats, eh? B)

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #16651

Hey John...to lighten the mood here a little bit...

Here is the "Ike Special" team play that involved both teams....

Ike Ditzenberger is like a lot of other 17-year-old American football players. He dreams of playing college football. He attends daily practices. Most of the time he toils away in offensive drills. Then, on rare occasions, Ditzenberger runs into the limelight with aplomb. The description could fit thousands of American teenagers, except for one crucial detail: Ike Ditzenberger has Down Syndrome.

Ditzenberger, a junior at Snohomish (Wash.) High School, achieved a major milestone on Friday in a game against Lake Stevens, running 51 yards for a touchdown with 10 seconds remaining. The "Ike Special" provided the only points in Snohomish's 35-6 loss. It was the first varsity touchdown in Ditzenberger's career, a ramble through an opposing defense that mirrors the end to Snohomish practices every day, when Ditzenberger gets the final run of practice and somehow finds the end zone, through a combination of running guile and intentionally passive defenders.

"He's someone that everybody can kind of enjoy because he has such a great personality and character," Snohomish senior captain Keith Wigney told the Everett Herald in a feature on Ditzenberger.

For Ditzenberger's feel-good story to go beyond practice to an actual competitive game took an assist from the coaching staff at Lake Stevens. The Vikings' coaches not only instructed their players to let Ditzenberger score, but to make it look relatively competitive in the process to make the moment more real for the Snohomish junior. In the video above you can see a handful of Lake Stevens defenders make diving runs at Ditzenberger, only to come up agonizingly short. Or perhaps gleefully short, in this case.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #16657

I feel like I have a lot of the culpability in the escalation of the project. As the conversation went to Barrett Jackson and corporate donations, my thought was that we need to organize and protect ourselves if we go this route. That was a lot more then John had originally bargained for when he started this. There were too many things being randomly thrown out and it needed to be corralled. My intentions were to get it under control, not necessarily make it larger. If I have been a part of the downfall, I apologize.

John, If you do something and need parts or money, let me know and I will help. Most of all, take care of you.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #16663

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
mark thats a very touching story,my aunts sister has a downs child,well i guess shes not a child anymore shes 28 and a sweetheart.
tudor you were only trying to make sure we didnt get into trouble,no apoligy nessesary.
im still thinking of painting a boat after im done with mine,ill see how it goes,john,and thanks,mark and tudor,i appreciate it.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #16671

Good night guys, let it go. If you want to do something, do something, and let the rest pass. It's done. We have options out the wazoo to help people. Do it and be quiet about it. There's lots to think about that one, including me. Last post on this thread. I agree with Doug. Back to the boats.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #16686

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Gentleman
I spoke with my sister-in-law that works for Gander Mountain/Overtons.
She said that they would be willing to help in any way they could.
She would be able to get seats at cost for us, or a possible donation. I explained that we would not be needeing them until sometime in the spring or early summer because of the work that needs to be completed first. So once the project manager is in place, I can communicate directly through them when we are ready for the seats, if indeed this is what we decide to do as far as seats.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #16687

neil, sadly its over. ron

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #16688

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you Ron
Sad indeed.
Being inspired by John, bless his heart, I believe that I will get some boys together out here in Idaho and build a boat for a child here locally.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #16708

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
i will try to do the same find a cheap boat fix it up, and help a kid too,after i finish the cutter this summer.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #16727

neil, please let me know if you do. ron

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #16728

john-gibson wrote:

i will try to do the same find a cheap boat fix it up, and help a kid too,after i finish the cutter this summer.

john, when you do the paints on me. ron

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 5 months ago #16749

Well, if any of ya'll need any motor work done on those quiet projects, gimme a call, all my info's on a previous page somewhere.
Been a pleasure meeting you guy's, although this idea didn't make it, I think it did good for everyone, seeing how we can contribute individually to something bigger than us. Wish it'd have panned out, but hey, it happens like that sometimes.... Shannon.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 5 months ago #16760

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you Ron.
I certainly will.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)