Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15763

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
i started this thread over 2 weeks ago to help out a child in need,by restoring a show quality boat,and selling it on ebay and give the family all of the money do what they want with it,but there is also the option of doing the same for a wounded vet,i like that idea too,so i say we build the boat and put it on ebay ,and other sites and some collector can buy it and store it right and take care of it,then split the money in half.
we could let the soldier AND the child make up a name for it.
they can also be part of the build if they want to.
but before we sell it we can hold a show for a weekend and let them ride in it and drive it(if the child is old enough).
on the transom we will put a plaque honering them both,plus the people who have helped in some way.
as for who the money goes to,it should go to the 1st nominated wounded soldier,and the 1st nominated child with life threatening sickness.john

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15767

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
John, this project is your "brainchild" (idea), so you should definitely have a major vote in how it's handled. I do understand what several others are saying, however, about the cash donation after sale of the project being impersonal and soon gone and possibly forgotten. Splitting the proceeds between two would obviously reduce the impact even more, but I understand and appreciate that your heart is surely in the right place here. There is a special place in "the big boathouse in the sky" waiting for you buddy.

Since the completion of this project is going to require the contribution of time and money from many, I believe we need to take their ideas into consideration. Selling the boat so many will have put hard work and funds into just doesn't sit well with some. If we're going to consider a Wounded Warrior, I would like to nominate Vic! He would be a worthy recipient, IMO, and have the minimal funds required to operate the boat after the donation.

Please forgive my pretentious suggestion, I just wanted to throw this thought out there for discussion. It varies from your original sick child idea, but sounds like it might be agreeable with the majority out there. I'll happily support this project which ever way you decide to go, and as stated we have some time to hash out all the details, etc..

Mark

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15768

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok you guys do it how you want and give it to whoever you want,or sell it its all up to you all,ill still do my part and will have the satisfaction of helping out eiather way it goes,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15769

Guys, the thought of donating the boat to Vic is very generous, but I can't do that in good faith. Sort of like employees of companies running contests not being eligible. I feel the same way about this. It's got to go to someone "outside the family". I'll take care of Vic and Katie myself when the time comes.

I still like the idea of giving the boat to a person, not selling the boat for money. But that is just MY opinion. As a group venture, those that play get a say, and I think majority rules. Okay, so maybe we'll give John 2 votes instead of one. ;) I really think if we're going to do this we need a small committee to manage the thing. I also feel we need a project manager to lay the build out from start to finish and develop the project plan so things come together right. I am happy to do that with Frank's help as the hull is here and Frank and I can survey it and develop the plan. I also have all the hardware, seats, etc. that will need redoing or brightening up. We need to get those distributed to the folks willing to help. Again, many hands will make this project easy.

I don't like selling boats on ebay. My experience is you never get what a boat is worth. There are other selling options. Here's just two.

1.) We have the boat ready for the Antique Boat Show in Clayton the first weekend in August. There is a big boat auction on Saturday afteroon of the show. I'll work with Peter Mellon from Canada who runs the auction for Antique Boat America and the ABM to see if they'll allow the boat to be auctioned off at the event. Normally there are fees paid to the ABM and auction house. They may pass on those. If they'll allow it we can hype this in the program and other places.

2.) I need to think about this some, but I write for the ACBS Rudder magazine. There may be a wonderful article here on fiberglass restoration, but more importantly, the heart of the restoration community. Writing in the Rudder gives us an audience of 12,000 devoted classic and antique boat owners, one of whom I'll bet would be interested in buying the boat. Again, I need to think this through as to whether it is appropriate for me to do.

Brian

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15771

I'm at best a minor player in this, but I'll put in my thoughts. This idea was given life as a project to help a family with a sick child and I think we should stick with that. Not to dis any of those who served and sacrificed for our country, far from it. Both are worthy, but we need to make a difficult decision.

I am assuming that by wounded vet, we are talking about someone who has lost a limb or has some similar disability because of his or her service. The problem I see is that if we want this boat to be used by the recipient, there may need to be specially equipped in some way to accommodate them. If we want to do a project for a vet, we might want to start with a specific person in mind and restore/design the boat around them. Or do something like acquire the CC Flying Ray (19 ft fairly open boat the could be set up for handicap seating) that is for sale and restore it to donate to a veteran's organization to take people out for rides. This could make a great x2012 project.

As far as what to do with the boat, my thought is to donate it to the family and let them make the decision. If they want to keep it, fine. If they want to sell it or use it one season and sell it, we could help them with the auction process.

Just my 2 cents.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Project X2011..putting everything into perspective 13 years 6 months ago #15775

Project X 2011.....putting everything into perspective....
In under 2 weeks we have the boat,motor,and trailer for Project X 2011. We also have those individuals who will be doing the labor on the boat and mechanical resto on the motor. I'm still awaiting an answer on the cosmetic resto of the motor, a 1962 merc 700. John and I thank all of you who have offered donations for this project.
The boat a 1962 CustomCraft Mantaray Premier is being donated by Doug (classicfins). The trailer (already restored) and donated by Frank A. (pc1000), and the motor, a 1962 merc 700 donated by (Catfink).
Mark S. will make the freight arrangements and cover the shipping costs on the motor.
Brian L. (crosbyboat) will be installing the new transom on the boat. It then will be trailered to John Gibson's home in Pa., where John will complete the restoration. We still need someone to do the sewing of the boat seats. The cash donations will be used for boat materials,re-chroming of hardware, instruments,etc. As of now cash is what we need the most of for the boat and motor resto materials. The following is a list of those who have offered to donate cash,labor,supplies and of course the boat,motor and trailer.
Corrine (woodboat)
Doug (classicfins)
Brian L. (crosbyboat)
Frank A. (pc1000)
(catfink)
Chris (glastron gt160)
Mark G. (houston)
Rich (discocurly)
(the tudor)
Neil
Mark S.
(Lonewolf)
(g3 jim)
(silverghost)
Ron V. (vuyosevich)
John Gibson

The idea was born with the boat being restored and then sold with the proceeds given to a sick child's family. This is how it garnered much of its support. Other suggestions that have been made for the use of the boat's proceeds are just as compelling but in my opinion we should honor John's original charitable idea.
ron

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15778

Well, personally I don't mind which cause is selected ... both are obviously noble & deserving causes, though I will say a wounded vet getting the boat seems more practical for the aforementioned reasons, so long as the vet's wound & resulting limitation's are kept in mind. I've got 2 broken feet & have to wear special leg braces (no, not from service), so I know first hand that most handicaps aren't very difficult to accomodate, where accessability is possible at all. Regardless,I'm posative a good recipient will be found

thetudor "donate to a veteran's organization to take people out for rides. This could make a great x2012 project."

I like the sound of that! After all, this is technically project x -round two, so it's likely that this will continue into other project x's in the near future. So how about we do one cause now, and the other next round? I suggest we do the Vet one first since it would not take much to find an able & deserving wounded vet. The family of sick child on the other hand, well it will take quite alot of subtle searching to find just the right family if it's to make an effective & posative long term impact on the child's life. That's my two cents on the matter at least.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15795

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
like i said i like both ideas ,all of us do,i think the wounded vet idea is great too,im just hoping now i finish this project with you,i have been getting dizzy spells everyday for a very long time,and had a brain mri,it turned out ok,4 days ago i had severe chest pains and had to take 4 nitro,(i know you should take only 3),when i saw my cardioligist ,my blood pressure was 90 over 60.
i am tired 24/7 i sleep constantly,i have only worked on th lido 2 times for about an hour each,some of you already know the left side of my heart was damaged by 3 heart attacks and 1 blood clot over the years,im hoping its not my heart but something else,but even if it is and i can still work on it i definatly will,my heart wont stop me.
but just remember it will take awhile,the sunray took over 5 months,but i think it was worth it.to those who are new here is the inside and outside of that sunray,i hope to do something like it to the manta ray,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15798

John, take care of your health first. That's worth more than all of the boats on this site.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15803

thetudor wrote:

John, take care of your health first. That's worth more than all of the boats on this site.

x2!

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15812

• MarkS
X3 - PLEASE take it easy for a while John, you've had a pretty hectic schedule so far this year. (That has a way of catching up with you quicker with age, not that you're getting old mind you, and takes longer to get over even for someone who is completely healthy.) Work on your Lido should be purely recreational at this point, there's no rush on ANYTHING! I hope you get to feeling better, I think I can safely say we all want you around a long time buddy.

Mark

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15813

Yep, definately take care of yourself John. I think there are enough of us in the group that want to pitch in so that the load is shared by many and not loaded onto one person. If I wasn't so dang far away I'd love to do some hands on work, but it's just too far away. HOWEVER, I did just aquire a commercial upholstery machine this week. If I hurry up and learn how to use it maybe I can help with some interior work down the road.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15837

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you guys,ill let you know what the stress test came out like.
fins where did you get a machine like that,i need one,was it expensive?

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15839

I traded a spare air compressor I had for it. A buddy of mine has had it for years and I've been trying to get it from him for a while now, but he got another one so I was finally able to grab it.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15840

OK, I always come into these things late. I'll try to do better. I'd like to help where I can. I'm in Southern Maryland.

John PLEASE take care of yourself! That is an absolute 1st priority. Everything else is second.

Fins-does the machine have a "walking foot"? I hear those are best for think canvas and leather work. I have a buddy that use to make custom holsters and he used a walking foot commercial machine to sew them together.

Bob

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15841

"John, take care of your health first. That's worth more than all of the boats on this site."
X 4 .. er ... 5.... well, I'd bet alot more than's commenting!! The guy's like me who haven't known ya for long don't know how to respond to that, for fear of being presumptious. Me, I can see these guy's who've known ya for a long time love ya like a brother from another mother! LOL! Seriously though, if ya wont put your health first for yourself, do it for all the people who love ya man. There's no reason to use yourself up on 1 project when ya can limit yourself and take it easy and work with all these great guys for great causes on many projects to come!! NOBODY want's to see ya do harm to yourself for this.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15842

Oh, and are ya kidding me!? Matching thermos cups even!?!? WOW! One helluva boat John!! That's just too gorgeous man!!

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15847

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
fins ya wouldnt want to trade it for my old compressor ,would ya,lol.but seriosly if any one knows of a heavy duty sewing machine for sewing vinyl,around 100 bucks or less ,please let me know.

lonewolf thank you,yeah i will take care of myself,when i can,i have been on this site since 2006 and its my home away from home,i love it here.i consider the ones i have known ,as family.
as for the project ,as soon as i know whats happening,"maybe just another stent",then ill be ready for project x 2011.
and thank you for the compliment lonewolf,by the way i used to have wolves as pets and my nickname was wolf,or wolfie,lol,i have a white one now named yukon,hes 12 now,after him,im done with them though.its too hard to see them grow old and get unhealthy.its very hard to lose them.

by the way lonewolf this is what it looked like when found it after laying in a field for 5 years.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15856

John and all, you know I'm in.

Haven't been around due to local boat group stuff and lot going on at work.

I'm in for transportation, storage, whatever fiberglass work Brian isn't able to get done before it heads up this way.

Brian, looks like you nominated yourself for project manager. ;)

Lot's of good ideas here on worthy beneficiaries, but I think we should stay true to Johns original intent. I agree with Brian's assessment that the donation of the boat itself would be much more personal than a wad of cash,(that wouldn't last long anyways).

Just look at the smile on that girl's face in the pictures Mark posted, priceless.

Maybe Make-a-Wish would be interested if we proposed donation of the boat itself instead of the cash?

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15868

• MarkS
Glad to hear you're in Dave, the more the merrier!

CAT*FIN*k, you havin' any luck getting some help crating up the Merc700? Sincerely hope somebody can give you a hand with that, I can't imagine wrestling that bugger around alone, I used to have one myself! Maybe we can check the Glassics map and see if there are any members near the Kazoo, MI area who could lend a hand.

I started checking on the freight arrangements for the motor today, definitely doable. I assume we'll need liftgate service at the storage facility to pick up, I need to get in touch with Shannon (Lonewolf8814) about what he needs on his end. (Liftgate service, residential area, etc.)

Mark

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15874

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks dave,im glad your with us,i tried make a wish to find a child to give the money to,but they wouldnt do that but they did have alot of kids that want to be a pirate.lol kinda cute.maybe some of us with running boats can take these kids out for a day on a boat.
as for my health i felt good today,and got some stuff done on the honey do list,ed and i cut down 3 trees and i ran the backhoe and also replaced 3 hoses on it,today was a good day so maybe im ok???
the reason i wanted to sell the boat to someone who wants one instead of giving the boat to them is maybe a boat wont be a big thing to them.
when you all gave my brother in law his boat he cried and so did i.
he works hard everyday,but doesnt make a bunch of money,and its hard for him to afford to take the boat out,he loves it but the motor needs work,which im no mechanic,and he cant get it fixed so it now sits under a tarp.
he loves you guys as much as i do,but i see this from a differnt prosective,not everyone is able to do this,heck thats why i bought a $3.50 boat,and will have to fix it up as i get spare money.
i thought the money from the sale could be used by the family of the child or the soldier ,to do or buy what they want,like a trip to disney world,or that pony the kid wanted,or the car the soldier needs.
ok im off my soap box,ill do whatever you all decide,i just wanted to explain what i had in mind when i started this thread.
either way im in to restore the manta ray,for whoever you decide to pick .
and ill go along with whatever you all decide to do,i just want to help someone who needs it more than i do,sincerly john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15875

Well if we're big enough to make something for somebody we ought to be big enough to fix what we give if it wasn't right when we gave it. A motor that runs for a year or two of light use isn't much of a gift. I have learned that the best thing to do with old motors is at a minimum:

- check compression and if not good, forget it
- put all new electrics in them
- pull the carb(s) and have them rebuilt for 10% ethanol fuel
- replace all fuel hoses with alcohol resistent hoses
- pull the lower unit, inspect and service gears, impeller and reseal

What's the problem with your BIL's motor? This news gives Project X a bad name if we're donating less than quality stuff that becomes a burden because it won't run. Lets make it right.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15878

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
it was right when it was given,a good man worked on that motor,and worked very hard on it,its just over the years its not running right ,it ran good for awhile ,but that wasnt the point i was trying to make.
i will get his boat running again ,and i dont think it gives this a bad name,it was given in the sprit of kindness and generousity,and i respect and love the people involved in it.
by the way his little boy is doing good now ,hes 10 years old and the tough little guy on his football team,he just loves it.
the people who did the 1st project x,in my opinion are the best that there are,as are the people involved with this project.
the people who did the 1st project x worked tiressly,and gave their heart and soul into it,just like they are now.
i commend each and everyone of you,and like i said before i just want to help someone from my heart,and ill do everything thats asked,even more if i can,now lets get on with this ,and make someone special happy.
thank you to each and everyone,even the ones who cant participate,for any reason,i know your with us in heart and spirit.sincerly john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15880

OUCH!! the motor for project x was worked on by tim c. he worked on it and got it running with a broken arm. and delivered it with dave a. over 300 miles. again with a broken arm. i can't begin to think of the pain he endured while doing this. no one else at the time volunteered to do that part. the boat was solid and needed no work. i think that alone gives PROJECT X an admirable history. ron
thanks john.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15883

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i agree,and it ran beautifully,its just over time that it started to run rough,this season,i will get it fixed for him,tim did a great job on it,heck my father in law is having tim do his motor and ed is probably going to have him do his too.
back then ethonal wasnt a big deal like it is now.
and ill get tim to go over my bil's motor again,hes a good mechanic,and i trust him imensly.(man im tired and cant spell,lol)

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15896

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
hi all below is the post i made at the begining of this thread,i wanted a commitee to run this,(without me in it),i just wanted to donate my time,and still do,as did ron v,i figured a comitee of 5 people,and they can vote majority rules,my vote wouldnt count untill i paint the boat,i want it to be a surpise as to paint scheme.
all fiberglassics members could nominate and vote on who they want to represent them,but you can still give suggestions for the project,as it is now its a jumble of good ideas,but a jumble none the less.
i will do what the commitee tells me too,i think a sick child or a vet is a good idea,i like them both.
if they decide to give the boat or sell it thats fine with me,ill do whats needed.
as it stands rightnow it seems like this is being pulled in every direction,all i want is to do something good in my life.
ill tell you all about myself ,warts and all,the good ,the bad,and the ugly.i will probably lose some respect from some people,but this is me,.
i used to drink heavely,as in alcholic,its been 8 years since my last drink,but when i was drinking i rode bike had tattoos(still have them)my poor wife put up with me all those years.
but the last 8 years have been fantastic,especially between my wife and i,then my health went southat age 42 i had my 1st heart attack,that damaged the left side of my heart,then 2 more and a blood clot,during my 1st attack,i was given last rights and my wife was told to call the rest of the family in,i wasnt going to make it,but after 13 days in intensive care and 11 more in a regular room,i went home,that attack made me change alot in my life.
now i live one day at a time,but have become (i think),a better person for it,i used to think i was invinceable,i now know im not.
in 2006 i found an old cabin cruiser and was directed to this site,i bacame friends with the people here,and it is great.
its like home to me(comfortable)with great friends.
now you know why this project was so important to me.i want to help someone else that needs it.
ill do whatever is asked of me for this project,and will do it with pleasure,whatever that may be.
i hope we can help both a child in need and one of our brave soldiers,but i would leave all that up to the commitee.
when i wrote the 1st post it was just a thought,that i ment to go through with and still do.
the only reason im putting in the 1st post is you can see i wanted a committee to handle the the decisions,the rest of the post doesnt really matter.
i hope i havent lost your respect because of my past,because its the future and this project that matters most.thanks john
heres the 1st post...........the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 1 Week, 4 Days ago
hi all,i just bought a 62 glasspar lido,that im going to restore during the winter and spring,i hope,lol.
but in my search for a cheap boat ,i was inspired by "wmlagna",who gave a kid with cancer a boat.
now what i want to do is offer my free labor to restore a donated boat motor and trailer,and then paint it to match the lido,ill try to buy extra paint for this.
i then think when its done we should sell this boat and give the money to a family of a sick child to help with medical bills and such.,we could even name the boat after that child.
or i plan on naming my lido,"once apon a time"we could name it "once apon a time II".
its all up to the fiberglassics family here.
about all im going to be able to give is the free labor,but it will be a pleasure to do so.
now what is needed is a committee of fiberglassics members to ,find a boat,get donations ,and virtualy handle all of this,im not great at paper work,lol.
about in 2006,the members of fiberglassics ,helped out my brother in laws family with project x,now its time i repay that fantastic feat of commpassion,thanks to all who helped with project x.
as we go along ,if we get enough interest in this,ill need people to handle things like keeping track of donations,and picking a deserving family.
please vote if you like this idea.
and nominate some people to do this.or volenteer if your interested in being a part of the committee,thank you ,sincerly,john gibson. p.s. im doing this now so that after i get the lido done this spring,everything should be ready to go on the boat to be auctioned off.
also,all of you come up with a name for this project and then vote on it,that way when its posted,we will know what its all about.OK WE NAMED IT "PROJECT X 2011"

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15919

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
now,after writing my lifes story,i want to nominate ron vuyosevich,he already is keeping records of who has done what and promised what,plus putting alot of this together.second i nominate mark smith,hes also a very trust worthy man,
3rd is dave albertson,he has his own site and is good with this sort of things.
4th andrew gott would also make agrat canidate,hes a heck of a guy and very helpful,and would do anything for anybody.
i also want to nominate doug(classic fins)it was his boat after all,and hes a good guy.

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15920

I often suffer from hoof and mouth disease. I meant no disrepect in my post about the first X project, but my post sure could be read that way. Read your post about the motor and reacted too fast. My apologies. Tim went through my 1350 for me 2 years ago. Aside from needing to have my fuel pumps done this summer, the motor has never run better.

As I said before the project needs an overall manager to lay it out start to finish and get tasks assigned and pieces and parts distributed. The motor needs to be a key piece, and there are some simple diagnostics that should be done on it before we spend money shipping it to a mechanic. If nothing else, we should get a compression test done on each cylinder hole and see what the numbers look like. If they aren't good we should look for another motor. If ok, then we should proceed. Where is the motor now and can the donor do that diagnostic?

I'll be chewing my cud today. Sorry guys.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15921

• MarkS
You are too kind John, thank you for the kind words. I will gladly participate in any and all ways I can, but putting me on a decision making committee may not be a good idea, you know I'm mentally unstable! (LOL) Brian L (crosbyboat - Project Manager!) and Frank A. (donated the trailer) and Cat*Fin*k (donated the motor) should be considered first, IMHO. I'm here for you all with whatever I can contribute, just wish I was closer (geographically) to one aspect of the project or another to help physically.... ;)

Mark

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15922

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
brian dont worry about it,but i think we need just the commitee of 5 or 7 to do this,i dont think any one person should make these decisions(including me),i think it should be a commitee with majority rules,
mark you are a goo fair guy,i trust you and the others,i think brian ,frank and catfin could also be involved,we just need to vote for them,we could make it a 7 member commitee,that might be better anyhow,i say we have a 2day vote on these guys just to be fair and post it in its own thread,john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15923

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
brian ,dont think im dissing you,im not ,in fact you have my full respect,i have yet to see another classic boat restorer of your caliber,you my friend are the best i have seen,i follow your restorations with the greatest of intrest.
i think you are a great asset to this project,you would make a great committe member,i thinkyou could lead the commitee if you want,and i like a majority rules situation,thats why i dont want to be on it,i want to just focus on restoring the boat,and leave it up to the commitee to tell me what to do.

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15924

• MarkS
John - sounds good, and thanks again!

Brian - Good point! The Merc is in Kalamazoo MI in a storage facility. I believe CF is headed that way shortly, and we'll only have a "window" of a few weeks to check it out, make a decision, and do something one way or another before CF heads to Brazil.

We always have Chris' (Glastron_GT160) Merc500 as a possible candidate for power......

Mark

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15930

We're hoping to be outta FL next week and be in Brazil by the end of Oct. I don't think I would be able to do much for the commitee. We are going to be very busy when we get there, gettin' set up. Drivers licenses, find a truck, house, and need to get internet set up at the beach house we'll be staying at. We're having problems with taking the King Cat. Brazil law allows to bring a business with no import taxes. Now their tellin' us a sport fish charter boat is not part of a sport fish charter business. They want to tax the boat up to 130% of a new 2011 boat price, plus 5% of that value every month. No wonder there are no charter fleets there.

The motor ran good when I pulled it off this GT-160, 34mph on speedo, but stored indoors over 10 years.

Was gonna use on our Manta untill I found the 1K.
Attachments:

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15936

john-gibson wrote:

i agree,and it ran beautifully, its just over time that it started to run rough,this season, i will get it fixed for him, Tim did a great job on it, heck my father in law is having Tim do his motor and Ed is probably going to have him do his too. back then ethanol wasn't a big deal like it is now. and ill get Tim to go over my bil's motor again,hes a good mechanic,and i trust him immensely. (man I'm tired and cant spell, lol)

John, first thing I would do with your brother-in-law's motor is get a fuel pump kit (or more if there's more than one) and change the diaphragm (s). From what you've mentioned here, I would almost bet $ that's the main problem. And it is incredibly easy to do.

Now please don't take this wrong, but I don't want to be on a committee. I spent a great deal of time and $ on this old Shipmate trailer years ago and have decided to donate it, something I was not originally going to do. It looks real nice and is perfectly sized for the MR. I am no expert on boat restoration, but might be considered so on trailers. I just don't feel I'm the right guy to be on a committee of the type you seek. The other names mentioned make a lot of sense to me, and I am still willing to help if there is something I could do.

Best of luck with everything!

Frank

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15942

If the 700 was running good 10yrs ago before being stored, compression should be fine, it's pretty unlikely it's leaky from being stored. But a compression check wouldn't hurt for sure.
John ... a man who weathers the storms and comes out a better man for it on the other side gets & deserves more respect than the man who's had smoothe & easy sailing his whole life. Anyone who thinks less of you for becoming a good person with a "past" needs to take a long look at themselves! So none of that nonsense please.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15951

CAT*FIN*k, can you get me any numbers (yr, model#,etc) so I can some lit gathered on it ahead of time? I like to know every nut & bolt before I touch anything.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15962

here's a funny (in-a-way) I read Crosby's initial post about the past project X and seriously sat here trying to figure it out, the more I sat here trying to figure it out the less happier I became, waiting to respond with my mouse arrow on the button, I sat here drinking my Kool-aid think what to say.....

I hit the button to respond and suddenly...my screen goes blank and I could hear the fish tank filter pump winding down, as the house settled into complete silence I figured it out we had a power outage, which I Killed the tower off it's back up battery back and kind of wondered if this was a divine intervention.

checking in just now I read where Crosby meant no harm or ill intentions towards Tim (where my two cents are on Tim 110%)and apologized if there was any misunderstanding...

so in the end...I got a full "nap" which was interrupted when the power came back on an hour and a half later waking me up to all the bedroom lights being on, and by then I wasn't really bothered by crosby's initial post and I was to tired to drop in and spend my two cents, which probably would have cause harm and mayhem anyways (just making a joke giving the little lite I had on the subject) and by then crosby explained anyways...so as I reread the history there no real harm or foul that was intended, and I can tell the dealer that we would want the warranty on the focus Genny is looking to get, seeing I know mechanical stuff will stop working sooner or later, and some how we're going end up paying one way or the other.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15989

not many stepping up to form a commitee. anyone know of a re-chromer that might give us a break. i know if the hardware is the same thats on my mantaray, it cost me $850. ron
Attachments:

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15990

I gotta say, not often do you find there's too many indians & too few chiefs!! I obviously aint in the running, it's gonna have to be some guys who've had a FG presence longest. SUCK IT UP GUYS, come on!! LOL!! Ya don't have to be a resto wizard to be in a committee, how many committies out there haven't a clue about the hands on thing's they're deciding on?!

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 6 months ago #15994

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
mark i would have nominated you but i dont see ya around any more but if your up to it,i thinkyou would be good.
mark smith do i take that as a yes for the commitee?i hope so.
lonewolf,it doesnt matter how long you have been here,your a stand up guy,you have volunteered for the motor work,that makes you a nominee in my book.
i also hope brian does this for us.
and ron your in right?i hope so.
i also hope dave is in too.
please nominate someone,or volunteer for it,there are alot of great people on this site,lets get this going again,
we still havent heard from andrew gott or doug classic fins yet.

---Mark Twain
Time to create page: 0.459 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)